Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 ZR2, 75K miles, all stock pretty much. Brakes are new, rotors are new.

The issue is something going on with the left rear. Taking off you can hear some faint metal and metal, sounds like chirping. Braking, there is some noise. I took it by a dealer buddy and the tech said he sanded some rust of the dust shield and clearanced things a bit. He also adjusted the e brake cable.

I'm gonna talk to my service buddy, they said the caliper was fine.

Thinking out loud something is making some contact, I think the truck has always had this going in the 2 months I've owned it.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
150 Posts
2018 ZR2, 75K miles, all stock pretty much. Brakes are new, rotors are new.

The issue is something going on with the left rear. Taking off you can hear some faint metal and metal, sounds like chirping. Braking, there is some noise. I took it by a dealer buddy and the tech said he sanded some rust of the dust shield and clearanced things a bit. He also adjusted the e brake cable.

I'm gonna talk to my service buddy, they said the caliper was fine.

Thinking out loud something is making some contact, I think the truck has always had this going in the 2 months I've owned it.

This may or may not help, but sounds similar to what you have going on

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,684 Posts
And I thought you had s fix for wifey:cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
There are some stainless steel "spring" pieces that keep tension on the pads. When I replaced pads and was putting it all back together, the alignment of these is not super precise, so wondering if they shifted a bit they could be contacting where they are not supposed to.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I had the same squeak on my '16. Noticeable most on rough surfaces, especially off road. It got significantly quieter with light brake application. I replaced the stainless pad hardware, and the squeak went away.

My '20 is starting to do the same thing. In my copious free time, I'm going to try the same fix.

If you get squealing with brake application, that is probably vibration of the pad in the caliper.

·
Registered
2019 Canyon Denali 4x4
60 Posts
So in summary, the video is saying to use anti-squeal paste on the pads? Is that the only nugget of wisdom in there? Short attention span here and would like the Cliffs Notes version of a 30m video.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
150 Posts
So in summary, the video is saying to use anti-squeal paste on the pads? Is that the only nugget of wisdom in there? Short attention span here and would like the Cliffs Notes version of a 30m video.
Well that and the diagnostic method (thumping breaks with your fist) to see if your particular problem could be in the breaks.

Reactions: MJ_ATL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a buddy with a brake shop, I'm going to try to get in there, and I'll report back.

@Z06Dave would it be possible to borrow your lawn mower, I'll swing by around 6pm.

Check out this video first. If this is what your squeaking sounds like then this can be fixed with a can of silicone lubricant(wd40 silicone lubricant spray). Let us know if this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts