Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone on this forum that can pull a service history for my truck base don the VIN number? Ive read of users on other forums being able to do it and know anyone with access to GM's systems can pull it. If you know anyone, le tme know and Ill send them my VIN. I really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've not seen anyone on this site with access to the GMVIS. And the two other GM based sites (GTO and Corvette) I have been on seem to have stopped doing that also. It's almost as if GM has restricted access to that system.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Has it always been your truck?

You can register with the chevy owners website and it will track your dealer service history and you can add your own maintenance records if you do your own too.

It does track by VIN but im not sure if you will get service records from a previous owner though. Might want to try it out if ya havent.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It does track by VIN but im not sure if you will get service records from a previous owner though. Might want to try it out if ya havent.
Mine is used, you can't get previous owner's histories from the site, which seems stupid.
I didn't think to ask the service guy if he can print it, but I definitely will.

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has been mine since new. Im trying to avoid going to my dealer as I dont want them aware Im trying to get all this documented to force a buyback with all the issues ive been having. the owners center doesnt show any records for my truck. I called a different dealer wher eId had an oil change done and they said they could send it, but what they sent only had the oil change listed. I was able to get the dates by calling and asking for the dates Id had it in, but Id like a detailed print out if possible. I just emailed Marry Barra as well as the General Manage rof the delaership so Ive got my fingers crossed. If they arent willing to help afgter this, I have a lawyer friend who's gonna write me a letter. Ive exceeded the lemon law requirements so Im hopeful they wont put up too much of a fight.

Thanks, and if anyone knows someone who can pull this for me, Id appreciate it.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Mine has been mine since new. Im trying to avoid going to my dealer as I dont want them aware Im trying to get all this documented to force a buyback with all the issues ive been having. the owners center doesnt show any records for my truck. I called a different dealer wher eId had an oil change done and they said they could send it, but what they sent only had the oil change listed. I was able to get the dates by calling and asking for the dates Id had it in, but Id like a detailed print out if possible. I just emailed Marry Barra as well as the General Manage rof the delaership so Ive got my fingers crossed. If they arent willing to help afgter this, I have a lawyer friend who's gonna write me a letter. Ive exceeded the lemon law requirements so Im hopeful they wont put up too much of a fight.

Thanks, and if anyone knows someone who can pull this for me, Id appreciate it.

Thanks again guys!
Everytime I went to the dealer for any work done, the service writer printed up a work order for the techs, for them to focus their work, be it warranty, recall, or oil change. They also printed and I signed the post service work order, which I was given a copy of, with the work performed and explanations, when done each and every time. Your dealer never provided those to you?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Has it always been your truck?

You can register with the chevy owners website and it will track your dealer service history and you can add your own maintenance records if you do your own too.

That system doesn't always show all the dealer service that has been done. There are only a couple of the half dozen visits I've made to two different dealers showing on my account.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
That system doesn't always show all the dealer service that has been done. There are only a couple of the half dozen visits I've made to two different dealers showing on my account.
Yeah I think one of mine is missing too. Im thinking it has something to do with if they enter the VIN or maybe they have to submit something to GM??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everytime I went to the dealer for any work done, the service writer printed up a work order for the techs, for them to focus their work, be it warranty, recall, or oil change. They also printed and I signed the post service work order, which I was given a copy of, with the work performed and explanations, when done each and every time. Your dealer never provided those to you?
They did provide those to me, but I keep them in the vehicle so I know where they are. The vehicle is currently in the service department, going on two and a half weeks at this point.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
They did provide those to me, but I keep them in the vehicle so I know where they are. The vehicle is currently in the service department, going on two and a half weeks at this point.
Ah, I see the difficulty.
I would just go and ask for access to the truck to grab some personal item, or a some other ruse of that nature, to get the docs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well dealer called me back last Friday and said to come get the truck, they couldn't replicate the issue so their only recommendation was to try to get it on video. So they literally want me video taping every time I start my truck?! So I oblige, take the truck home, decide to go somewhere a few hours later, drive to a friends house, when I go to leave friend's house, what do you know, it does the extended crank it was doing before, but this time I got it on video. The rest of the day it did it two more times. SMH, dealer claims they couldn't get it to do it after having it 3 weeks.

Also heard back from GM executive office. Spoke with a lady who was friendly but not very helpful. General Manager at the dealer told me I should get some buyback assistance on a trade in after I spoke to him a at the dealership Saturday afternoon. Lady from GM executive office said he shouldn't have told me that, that that's not how it works. I hope GM helps me out, but if they don't they better be ready for a fight because I'm done with this truck. She acted like they're going to try to fix this issue, but what she didn't understand was I don't care if they can fix this issue or not, after the number of issues I've had, I cant help but wonder when its going to break on me again....If GM isn't willing to help and I cant get dealer to do anything, Ill start blasting them on twitter and post some terrible reviews along with having my lawyer send them a letter. If that gets mine nowhere, Ill be filing a lemon law complaint with the state of Texas. The truck qualifies as a lemon, except I've read some places that if they provided me a loaner while the truck was in the shop then that disqualifies me. I don't see how them giving a loaner matters in regards to the truck being a lemon.

Anyone on here have experience with GM and getting them to buy back their truck? Or do they offer dealer trade assistance? I know other manufacturers do that sort of thing as my mother had an Audi with issues that was eventually traded in with some assistance from Audi. Let me know if you ahve any tips or suggestions to help me out here. So frustrating, I love the truck but hate the reliability so far.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Is there anyone on this forum that can pull a service history for my truck base don the VIN number? Ive read of users on other forums being able to do it and know anyone with access to GM's systems can pull it. If you know anyone, le tme know and Ill send them my VIN. I really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
I've seen this info on Carfax reports too.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Well dealer called me back last Friday and said to come get the truck, they couldn't replicate the issue so their only recommendation was to try to get it on video. So they literally want me video taping every time I start my truck?! So I oblige, take the truck home, decide to go somewhere a few hours later, drive to a friends house, when I go to leave friend's house, what do you know, it does the extended crank it was doing before, but this time I got it on video. The rest of the day it did it two more times. SMH, dealer claims they couldn't get it to do it after having it 3 weeks.

Also heard back from GM executive office. Spoke with a lady who was friendly but not very helpful. General Manager at the dealer told me I should get some buyback assistance on a trade in after I spoke to him a at the dealership Saturday afternoon. Lady from GM executive office said he shouldn't have told me that, that that's not how it works. I hope GM helps me out, but if they don't they better be ready for a fight because I'm done with this truck. She acted like they're going to try to fix this issue, but what she didn't understand was I don't care if they can fix this issue or not, after the number of issues I've had, I cant help but wonder when its going to break on me again....If GM isn't willing to help and I cant get dealer to do anything, Ill start blasting them on twitter and post some terrible reviews along with having my lawyer send them a letter. If that gets mine nowhere, Ill be filing a lemon law complaint with the state of Texas. The truck qualifies as a lemon, except I've read some places that if they provided me a loaner while the truck was in the shop then that disqualifies me. I don't see how them giving a loaner matters in regards to the truck being a lemon.

Anyone on here have experience with GM and getting them to buy back their truck? Or do they offer dealer trade assistance? I know other manufacturers do that sort of thing as my mother had an Audi with issues that was eventually traded in with some assistance from Audi. Let me know if you ahve any tips or suggestions to help me out here. So frustrating, I love the truck but hate the reliability so far.
Almost got into a similar issue with Toyota. Truck needed main CAN bus wiring harness repaired (7 wires need to be spliced or repinned) at about 1yr in. I tried to argue that such a significant repair should involve replacing the entire bad section with new, not a "patch" job that "should" last the entire life of the truck. I was concerned that off road use would cause the issue to come back at some point in the future, with my luck when it was out of warranty. So I traded it in on a new one that had a new color I liked better anyway. Took a bit of a loss bit was about the same to me monetarily as a buyback would have been and buying a new one.

As for the issue, yes it came back on my way to trade it in actually...I had to disconnect the battery to clear the dash lights about a block before pulling into the dealer, lol. I even heard from a Tech friend months later that a truck very similar in description to that one was in his shop for "odd electrical" issues. smdh No amount of arguing my point with the Toyota dealer or Toyota Corp could make them understand so I was fine with letting it cost them in the long run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i finally got a resolution. After going back and forth with GM and getting nowhere, I got the general manager of the dealership on my side and had a meeting with the regional after-sales care rep from GM and the general manager. They agreed to provide trade assistance on top of the trade-in value of my truck in order to get me into a new one without any out of pocket. I ended up even better as well because I got to take advantage of 0% financing which they didnt have when I bought the first truck. I also got the LT 4x4 and not the z71 because I wanted full leather and the z71's didnt come with leather until 18 (as an option). My LT also has the forward collision and lane departure. I very pleased with the way the dealership handled the situation, but not pleased at all with GM. Glad its finally said and done.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Well, i finally got a resolution. After going back and forth with GM and getting nowhere, I got the general manager of the dealership on my side and had a meeting with the regional after-sales care rep from GM and the general manager. They agreed to provide trade assistance on top of the trade-in value of my truck in order to get me into a new one without any out of pocket. I ended up even better as well because I got to take advantage of 0% financing which they didnt have when I bought the first truck. I also got the LT 4x4 and not the z71 because I wanted full leather and the z71's didnt come with leather until 18 (as an option). My LT also has the forward collision and lane departure. I very pleased with the way the dealership handled the situation, but not pleased at all with GM. Glad its finally said and done.
Congratz on your resolution, and putting it to bed. It sucks you had to go thru that, but IMO, this truck is worth a fight to get a good one.

Reactions: Hercules

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

Glad to see good resolution.

Too often we only see the bad dealers and the miss handled GM cases and not the ones that are as few people post after resolution.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This maybe a little late, just joined the site a few weeks ago, but if anyone needs warranty history I can look it up and send it too you guys.
Cool! Sending VIN in PM...

Reactions: lqdchkn
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.