Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Service airbag light

15K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  imref 
#1 ·
I was driving the other night and my service airbag light came on over the message center display. I hit dismiss but that only removed the alert, my airbag light stayed on. After I parked the truck and restarted it the light was gone. But now it has been randomly happening and coming on. Anyone else have that happen? I did a search and only came up with first gens that had a wiring issue in a door. My truck is out of warranty with 57K miles so I'm guessing it won't be cheap!

#34 ·
No one can justify that, but that’s how dealer service operates. If the flat rate is 4 hours labor, it must be more to the job getting to it than we know. They may be having to pull the entire front fascia. If so, that’s not a fun job. Just did it 2 weeks ago.

#36 · (Edited)
Hopefully it’s just a bad sensor, but they replaced mine first, then tried to clear the code and would not clear, because the problem was the broken harness. I do not see it looking thru the grille or bumper fascia opening. May have to pull the inner fender felt liner loose at the front and access it thru there. Unless you have the airdam removed already, look up from the bottom.

#37 ·
I have not removed the airdam, I actually like it since I lifted the front an inch. Now I don't get stuck under it when trying to slither back out after draining the oil lol

#38 ·
WhiteColly just noticed you also own an Fbody, I've had my 00 Camaro SS since beginning of 01. Absolutely love that car. I was thinking of actually waiting on working on the truck until I get that out of the garage again so I don't have to rush.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#39 ·
Yes sir, 2002 Trans Am, purchased 10/2001, has 16,800 miles on it.

#41 ·
I have been having this same issue for months, with increasing frequency as of late (2016, Crew Cab). I had it in the dealership last week and they can't find any issues. No codes, and of course the light didn't come on when they test drove. So at this point I'm not sure of next steps. Any advice?

#42 ·
Just to bump this and provide an update. About a week ago the airbag light pretty much came on non-stop. It would go out after a few minutes but come back on almost right away. I took it back to the dealer. This time they found a code indicating a problem with the passenger seat belt sensor so they are replacing that. All the wiring was fine. Fingers crossed that this resolves the issue.

#43 ·
Just had my 2016 crew cab at the dealer for this. They traced it to the passenger seatbelt buckle sensor and replaced the belt receiver. So far so good.