Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Called the dealer this morning to schedule an appt and they asked if I wanted to come down now. I was at work and couldn't so I made the appointment for tomorrow and dropped it off after work. See what they come up with tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is something simple!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Being a Crew Cab, haven’t heard much about broken wires, but the Extended Cab was notorious even back in the 1st generation trucks. Post back with the findings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Absolutely will. Appreciate all your input and suggestions

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dealer rep just called me and said it’s a bad sensor up front and will be $831 plus tax to repair! Sensor is $300 and rest is 4 hours labor. That’s crazy!! I can’t pay that to replace a sensor.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Mine was in warranty, but was the RF Crash Sensor shorted due to broken harness in rear door. Sounds like you have something similar, but what caused the bad sensor? Huh? Trouble code B0086-05, repaired broken wiring harness, replaced shorted RF Impact Sensor. Parts $168.00, Labor $168.48. Probably inflate the prices since it’s a billable job, and not warranty work, because their hands are tied on what they can bill for warranty jobs.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
You can pay them the hour labor for check out charge, buy the part yourself and replace the sensor, but you may have to find someone with a scanner that can reset SRS codes. I know that Autozone can read them, but cannot reset them by law. Not sure, but I doubt that the code may not reset with battery disconnect. Your repair order will list which sensor is bad, and you can probably buy it for 1/2 the cost they are charging you. The sensor that was bad on mine was part#013576422, may have to drop the leading 0, when looking it up.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
That part # , 13586947 14.865 SENSOR, AIRBAG F/END DISCRM (FRONTAL IMPACT SENSOR-G SENSOR) (MATING CONN USE 19329742) 2M,2N,2P43-53 2015 - 2021.It is the same part # for both sensors, right and left. It is $134 dealer price each. It looks like it fits 2015-21. From the picture it looks like they are mounted to the bumper bar.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
274 Posts
Dealer rep just called me and said it’s a bad sensor up front and will be $831 plus tax to repair! Sensor is $300 and rest is 4 hours labor. That’s crazy!! I can’t pay that to replace a sensor.
They ALWAYS blame the sensor. They NEVER check the wiring or check the actual sensor itself. I guess ohm/volt meters are obsolete nowadays.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow that’s unreal! I will have to see if I can just replace it myself. But like you mentioned, what caused it to go bad is also something to consider.
thank you so much for your help

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I realize that you have a Crew Cab, and I do not really know if the broken wires were a problem with them, and you say you have pulled the rubber boots back in the doorways, looking for a broken wire. If you have time to piddle with it, you may pull the rear cab corner trim loose, maybe even pop the door panel loose to get a better look. If the sensor is bad, it would take a light frontal hit, or a loose connector, or a short to cause it to go bad. $831 is a lot of money, but it could take a lot of time to find it on your own. You could throw a new one in there at $150, and if the old was shorted, could pop a new one very quick. Must locate the problem, why.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
That part # , 13586947 14.865 SENSOR, AIRBAG F/END DISCRM (FRONTAL IMPACT SENSOR-G SENSOR) (MATING CONN USE 19329742) 2M,2N,2P43-53 2015 - 2021.It is the same part # for both sensors, right and left. It is $134 dealer price each. It looks like it fits 2015-21. From the picture it looks like they are mounted to the bumper bar.
Just behind the lower grille corners.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just can’t justify the 4 hours of labor they are charging . And how can I buy the part for half of what they are quoting me as a factory direct. I get everyone needs to make a living but that’s a lot of money to replace a sensor.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
No one can justify that, but that’s how dealer service operates. If the flat rate is 4 hours labor, it must be more to the job getting to it than we know. They may be having to pull the entire front fascia. If so, that’s not a fun job. Just did it 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Hopefully it’s just a bad sensor, but they replaced mine first, then tried to clear the code and would not clear, because the problem was the broken harness. I do not see it looking thru the grille or bumper fascia opening. May have to pull the inner fender felt liner loose at the front and access it thru there. Unless you have the airdam removed already, look up from the bottom.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have not removed the airdam, I actually like it since I lifted the front an inch. Now I don't get stuck under it when trying to slither back out after draining the oil lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
WhiteColly just noticed you also own an Fbody, I've had my 00 Camaro SS since beginning of 01. Absolutely love that car. I was thinking of actually waiting on working on the truck until I get that out of the garage again so I don't have to rush.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yes sir, 2002 Trans Am, purchased 10/2001, has 16,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

21 - 40 of 40 Posts