Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the OnStar plans...apparently I get some level of OnStar for a year since my '22 doesn't have heated seats yet.

Is there a way to JUST get a plan that will let me run Pandora, etc? I just want the data connection to run apps.

Yes, I know I can turn the hotspot on my phone on every time I get in, that's not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4
108 Posts
I recently was poking around the OnStar site and somehow found a plan called GMC Connected Vehicle that includes all this,
GMC Maps+
Get personalized navigation, stay on top of the latest road closures, traffic updates and view the current weather conditions as you travel — all seamlessly displayed on your vehicle’s touchscreen.
Remote Key Fob
Remotely start or stop your properly equipped vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, sound the horn and lights, all with your smartphone.
Vehicle Status
Check your fuel range, tire pressure, oil life and odometer all from your smartphone.
Vehicle Locate
See your vehicle's location on a map and set and share custom boundary notifications for arrivals and departures.
Remote Personalization
Customize your radio stations and In-Vehicle Apps from your smartphone with the my mobile app.
Send-to-Navigation
Using the my mobile app, send a destination to your vehicle so it’s ready to go when you are.
Unlimited Data
Your passengers can stay on top of everything online. Get unlimited access to in-vehicle data. Stream, surf and play with fast, reliable Wi-Fi®
Map Updates and Precise Positioning
Latest map updates and help keep you centered in your lane.
Connected Navigation
Equipped vehicles get access to real-time traffic and point-of-interest updates from your vehicle's navigation system.
WarnerMedia RIDE App™
Your passengers can stream 1000+ hours of hit shows and movies on their own devices from networks such as HBO Max, Cartoon Network, CNN and more. With content updated monthly, even if your drive is routine, the entertainment stays fresh.
Google Built-In
Google built-in compatibility offers a helpful, personalized and seamless way to enhance your in-vehicle experience. With Google Assistant, Google Maps and Google Play you get access to hands-free help, live traffic updates, some of your favorite apps and more.
GMC Unlimited Monthly Data -
Wi-Fi Hotspot
Stream unlimited music, TV shows, news and more on up to 7 devices.
It was listed for $24.95 per month, butmt CC statement shows they have only been charging $15.95 per month....

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I'm looking at the OnStar plans...apparently I get some level of OnStar for a year since my '22 doesn't have heated seats yet.

Is there a way to JUST get a plan that will let me run Pandora, etc? I just want the data connection to run apps.

Yes, I know I can turn the hotspot on my phone on every time I get in, that's not what I'm looking for.
If you bundle the unlimited data the price goes down. FWIW I've found the unlimited data to be worth it. The transmitter on the roof is a higher power class than what's in your phone AFAIK and can reach a bit further. It's doubly worth it for me as a Verizon Customer as AT&T serves the hotspot, so I have the best of both worlds coverage wise since each of them seem to reach places the other doesn't.

Outerwear Comfort Sleeve Font Smile

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You used to be able to add vehicle to your unlimited plan if you had AT&T
I'm on T-Mobile. On my Volvo you can just get a sim card from them and plug it in the car. I have a free account with data so it works great.

$25/mo just for Pandora and the occasional WSJ update seems like a poor deal

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yes, stand alone data is available. And it is ordered through GM/OnStar but build directly by AT&T. You can also go to AT&T's website and search for vehicle data and they list the vehicles you can get data directly from them.

You can also connect your vehicle to your phone's hot spot or any other wi-fi (i.e your home) etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, stand alone data is available. And it is ordered through GM/OnStar but build directly by AT&T. You can also go to AT&T's website and search for vehicle data and they list the vehicles you can get data directly from them.
Ah! Why didn't I think of that?

edit: it just directs me to onstar. $14.99 a month is the best that can be done, I guess.

I just hate adding subscriptions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts