Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would do a quick writeup on this just incase anyone got bored and wanted to do something stupid like I did.

Anyway, used a dorman universal kit (628-040) because the pads fit the seat with minimal trimming mainly I just had to elongate the slot in the middle for the bottom. Any kit will probably do however. I also added a latching relay setup so that if you leave the switch on you still have a button to press every time you get in... you know so it doesn't always run. That is optional.

So we start here, I first installed an add a fuse on a switched circuit (ironically the seat heat one up front.) I then ran the lead to the back. Since I am only using this to trigger a relay I am not concerned with extra loads on the circuit. It amounts to a couple milliamps.
Audio equipment Bumper Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Trunk

From there I branched the wiring to both sides in the second row.
Eyewear Eyelash Audio equipment Cable Nail

Build and wired my latching setup like so: (one for each side.)
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Writing

For my battery positive I have my inverter under the rear seat so I just tapped on the positive of that and ran it to the second relay for each side...
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk

And then just connected the dorman kit the way the instructions say to. (it gives you a lot of slack so I just bundled it together.)
Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering Cable

Peel back and install the pads under the covers. (From here you just pop the clips and pull it over. I didn't take any photos of it off so... sorry. Didn't want to do it again is all)
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Drill and mount switches and buttons. Momentary latches it on, switch controls on off or heat. You push the button every ignition cycle to keep heat on. Simple enough.
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Grey Automotive design

Put on covers and test.

Overall simple to do. And now second row guys can be comfortable in the winter when
I still keep the AC on lol.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congratulations on a good job! You've got some skills! (y)
I don't have any need for heat in the back, no one important enough sits back there,
in fact the only thing that has been in the back seat since I bought the truck in 17 has been my dog.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Nice work!

Another handy place to pick up switched power (default fuse position) is the 12Vpower outlet wiring at the front and also at the back of the console.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations on a good job! You've got some skills! (y)
I don't have any need for heat in the back, no one important enough sits back there,
in fact the only thing that has been in the back seat since I bought the truck in 17 has been my dog.
Mom actually prefers the back for some reason. So it can't hurt lol. I did a movie thing on the beach one night and sat in the back seat and put my feet on the center consol and it would've been nice to have imo. I'm also used to escalades with it so it makes me feel more at home.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work!

Another handy place to pick up switched power (default fuse position) is the 12Vpower outlet wiring at the front and also at the back of the console.
I swapped mine to always on, charge things over night like jump packs and phones but yes, another easy one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts