Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I disabled the seatbelt chime in my new 2016 Colorado 4 door LT

No cutting wires. This is 100% reversable.

on the receiver of each seat belt along the seem get a non marring tool in there and pop the cover off. The top part slides in and the bottom part clips in so pop the bottom part off first and then slide it out.

You will notice the 2 wires running to a small long circuit board. The little white slider on this board slides over the contact points on the board of which there are 3. The seat belt when engaged pushes this slider down and turns the alarm off.

What i did was pull the board out, remove the white slider from the board, re-install the board in the seat belt then put the belt back together.

I have had ZERO problems with this and it only took 15 minutes for both seats. You could even re-install the white sliders if you wanted to in the future. Auto part Seat belt Bumper Automotive lighting Everyday carry

Text White Font Logo Line

·
Registered
556 Posts
I nned to do that for my passenger seat. My Large Munsterlander is tired of riding in back, and refuses to wear a seat belt...........

·
Registered
150 Posts
can also be unplugged under seat, this is the drivers side unplugged.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
This has nothing to do with airbags? Turning off the chime wont disable the airbags in any way?
Thanks.
Noob question I have here... I don't know now to sub a post... so, here's my attempt at seeing the answers to this airbag seatbelt disconnect question. Thanks! Lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
This has nothing to do with airbags? Turning off the chime wont disable the airbags in any way?
Thanks.
Directly from our owners manual:

"There is an airbag readiness light
on the instrument cluster, which
shows the airbag symbol. The
system checks the airbag electrical
system for malfunctions. The light
tells you if there is an electrical
problem."

Simply need to look at the symbol to see if the bypass has disabled the air bag system.
However, you must accept the fact that:

"You can be severely injured or
killed in a crash if you are not
wearing your safety belt, even
with airbags. Airbags are
designed to work with safety
belts, not replace them. Also,
airbags are not designed to inflate
in every crash. In some crashes
safety belts are the only restraint."

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Most states it's a ticketable offence for not wearing a seatbelt as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Directly from our owners manual:

"There is an airbag readiness light
on the instrument cluster, which
shows the airbag symbol. The
system checks the airbag electrical
system for malfunctions. The light
tells you if there is an electrical
problem."

Simply need to look at the symbol to see if the bypass has disabled the air bag system.
However, you must accept the fact that:

"You can be severely injured or
killed in a crash if you are not
wearing your safety belt, even
with airbags. Airbags are
designed to work with safety
belts, not replace them. Also,
airbags are not designed to inflate
in every crash. In some crashes
safety belts are the only restraint."
Yeah, no pressure there :grin2: ok, trying this tomorrow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At the top of the thread you will see Thread Tools, click that and select from the dropdown.
Sorry and thanks!

Back on topic, will this turn that insanely loud chime off whilst opening the door to get in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I pulled the two wire plug under the seat and wire tied it so it wouldn't hand down. Piece of cake. My dog kept setting it off while riding shotgun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Being a paramedic before I joined the Army as a medic, I have been to LOTS of accidents where the dead person was the one not wearing a seatbelt, ands the only victim we had to go searching for off the side of the road somewhere.

... Just sayin'

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Some vehicles retract the seat belts when there is a collision. I would feel safer using something like this, instead of messing with the seat belt system electronics.
Wonder if you could go get one of those belt extenders from GM free of charge and just insert it? Not sure if it would flop around or rattle.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is absolutely on my to do list. Going to try to pull the plug below the seats first. Was this the same for both the driver and passenger front seats?

What I find strange is that sometimes it is VERY loud and others it is quieter.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts