Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a CEL lately on my Colorado. I've always figured that it was the gas cap, and adjusting the cap usually coincides with it going out. Lately, however, the light has been coming on more frequently and the truck is idling at 500 rpm.

I'm at 37,000 miles, so I am out of warranty, so I figured I would try to scan the codes myself. I ordered a Scangauge II because I could use it in the future to monitor MPGs and other stuff.

I received my new Scangauge II and I went to hook it up to my Colorado. The directions say to start the engine and plug the gauge into the OBDII connector. I do this and it just displays "Connecting..." until the display goes to sleep (a couple minutes). I've tried forcing VPW, but it still doesn't connect.

The CEL light is still on, the truck still idles at 500 rpm.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what I need to do to make the ScanGuage work? Does disconnecting the battery do anything? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 30 minutes. When I started the truck, the CEL was still on and the ScanGauge could not connect.

BTW, I should state that I don't drive the truck very often. My wife usually drives it on a daily basis. The 500 rpm idle may be normal and unrelated to this issue.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
How far are you out of warranty? naybe if you take it to the dealer you have used for the warranty work and talk to your service adviser they might be able to do a good faith warranty repair or tell you what the problem is. just a thought, GM will do this from time to time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the ScanGaugeII and it has been working perfectly. Maybe there is a problem with the cord connection?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I checked Aux1 and Aux2 and they both are in good shape.

I drove the truck yesterday and I found that it idled fine at about 600 rpm, not 500 rpm like before.

I also checked the gas cap again and it appeared to be as tight as you can get it with the way it's designed. It's still finicky, so I should probably replace it (again...).

I'm still experiencing the CEL and ScanguageII issues. I'll take it to the local autoparts store after work to see if they can pull any codes. If not, I'll probably have to break down and take it to the dealer. Bummer... :(

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Well, if you have power to the OBDII connector, then there is possibly something wrong with the Scangauge II. Can you try it on another vehicle?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Unfortunately, the Colorado is my only OBDII vehicle. I'll have to see if someone from work will let me plug it in.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you have the key in the "run" postion when you hook up the scangauge? On some vehicle it does not work unless you have the key on. SOme vehicles you even need to have them running.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
GLN305 said:
Out of curiosity, do you have the key in the "run" postion when you hook up the scangauge? On some vehicle it does not work unless you have the key on. SOme vehicles you even need to have them running.
Ours needs to be in the RUN position for my code scanner to work. I'd venture the ScanGauge is the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
500rpm idle and CELs, sounds like when my secondary cat fell apart internally, but it was an obvious prob as you could hear it rattling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stopped at Advance Auto Parts yesterday and successfully scanned the code using their unit. It reported "Low Idle RPM" (P0506) so that sounds like 500 rpm is not normal. I'll clean the throttle body when the weather breaks a bit.

I'll have to contact Scangauge about replacing my unit because there seems to be a problem with it communicating. The store's scanner plugged in and immediately linked up to the computer.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I last drove the truck a couple weeks ago and it seemed to be idling at ~600 rpm like it should. I still haven't had a chance to address the dirty throttle body.

As for the ScanGauge II, Linear Logic sent me a new unit to replace the old one and it works flawlessly. Sounds like they had a bad batch of units shipped out in Jan. or Feb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts