Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine in today. Will get it installed soon.

Anyone else check it out yet?

Looks like it just came out last month or so. I got it because I was looking for a closed box kit and liked that they include a replacement engine cover to finish up the engine bay. Also caught my eye because it has the optional scoop to draw air from the area beneath the coolant tank.

Nothing wrong with my KNN 63 series but hard to not tinker with new products. Curious to see how loud it is compared to the KNN which is pretty loud.

MSRP: $299, one of the cheaper ones out there. Was looking at the AFE but the price on this one convinced me to try it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got mine in today. Will get it installed soon.

Anyone else check it out yet?

Looks like it just came out last month or so. I got it because I was looking for a closed box kit and liked that they include a replacement engine cover to finish up the engine bay. Also caught my eye because it has the optional scoop to draw air from the area beneath the coolant tank.

Nothing wrong with my KNN 63 series but hard to not tinker with new products. Curious to see how loud it is compared to the KNN which is pretty loud.

MSRP: $299, one of the cheaper ones out there. Was looking at the AFE but the price on this one convinced me to try it out.
Who was the manufacture of this kit and where did you get it from? Good price, so I might try this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got it installed. Uploading pictures now.

It is like 60% quieter than the KNN 63. Well maybe not that much but wayyyyy less noise.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just got it installed. Uploading pictures now.

It is like 60% quieter than the KNN 63. Well maybe not that much but wayyyyy less noise.
looks like a good buy, curious - why did you go with the dry filter version?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Box:

Inside Box:

Inside Box (filter box and engine cover already removed)

Airbox:

This is where the optional scoop goes:
If you dont use the scoop there is a plug for the hole in the rear (towards firewall) of the airbox)

Scoop installed (comes with rubber seals):

Airbox installed and scoop bolted on to the airbox.

Another view of the airbox + scoop combo

Rest of the setup (tube + pcv hose (or whatever its called)

Install Complete with engine cover attached:

Nice S&B logo on the plexiglass cover.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those wondering:

Old setup KNN 63 Series intake:

Knn Tube vs S&B Tube:

Like I said in the earlier post. The S&B is a lot quieter. I havent driven around much, just a test drive to make sure I didnt get any errors but the lesser noise is noticeable. Doesnt have as deep as a growl. Need to put some mileage on it to see if there is any big differences driveability or mileage wise. I do have a JBA Catback exhaust so I get some more noise from that compared to if my truck was stock.

Nothing was wrong with the KNN setup. Ive had that on for about 6 or 7000 miles. Just felt like tinkering with a new product.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Install notes:

You will need to take off the metal sleeves from the stock intake box bottom (new rubber grommets are provided by S&B) to bolt the airbox to the bottom 2 bolts on the fender.

The MAF sensor gets installed with new screws (same as the KNN, dont know about other brand intakes)

If you install the engine cover, you need to remove the stock rubber grommet and use the stock bolt that is near the throttle body on the stock intake cover.

You also need to remove the long bolt and rubber sleeve from the top (firewall side) of the stock engine cover. From the factory my truck only had 1 of these though so I am missing a side.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who was the manufacture of this kit and where did you get it from? Good price, so I might try this one.

SBfilters.com is the manufacturer. I bought mine from ebay, a store with out of arizona (dont have the specific seller with me right now)

looks like a good buy, curious - why did you go with the dry filter version?
Went with the dry filter because I dont like the hassle of oiling the cotton filters. Also, only the dry filter can be blown with compressed air to extend the life and clean it.

S&B also makes a good point in their website that with the dry filter a dealer doesnt have the excuse of blaming an engine problem on oil from the filter.

Reactions: Agent Clark

·
Registered
76 Posts
SBfilters.com is the manufacturer. I bought mine from ebay, a store with out of arizona (dont have the specific seller with me right now)

Went with the dry filter because I dont like the hassle of oiling the cotton filters. Also, only the dry filter can be blown with compressed air to extend the life and clean it.

S&B also makes a good point in their website that with the dry filter a dealer doesnt have the excuse of blaming an engine problem on oil from the filter.
Thanks for the info. Like to see it with the S&B system installed

·
Registered
76 Posts
Box:

Inside Box:

Inside Box (filter box and engine cover already removed)

Airbox:

This is where the optional scoop goes:
If you dont use the scoop there is a plug for the hole in the rear (towards firewall) of the airbox)

Scoop installed (comes with rubber seals):

Airbox installed and scoop bolted on to the airbox.

Another view of the airbox + scoop combo

Rest of the setup (tube + pcv hose (or whatever its called)

Install Complete with engine cover attached:

Nice S&B logo on the plexiglass cover.

That's a super nice set up.i might not hear all of the crawl when I put mine on. I installed a full S S 3"Kooks exhaust on my truck
It will.more than likely take over the intakes new sound, but I will see....

Just curious. What's keeping the new setup from using the O E M engine cover ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like the sound of the K&N I've seen on YouTube but heard it drones on the highway and it does suck hot air, which is no good in the south...

Would you say there is still a good intake sound compared over the stock system. I know you said it is quieter.

Basically I want some noise but without an exhaust or the drone.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice unit.
I just think the extra air ducting in the back corner under the hot coolant is not that great, hot air area. IMO
My afe extra opening is a front low opening.
I love my afe power box set up after having 2 other types before that .
Hope it works good for you though .

Reactions: Agent Clark
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.