Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
When I installed my Provent I had to fab my own hose set up ....then the excellent hose set up from Sasquatch became available. Time to swap the setup much like you did D.Drax. I did have an issue though that required a "custom solution". The factory install of the coolant hose put the hose right next to and rubbing on the Provent. There are only so many variations on turning the Provent body in the mounting bracket that allow the Sasquatch hoses to route properly.
What I ended up doing is mounting the Provent with nylon stand off spacers and using longer metric bolts to move the Provent forward. This allowed proper alignment of the hoses while moving the Provent away from the factory mounted coolant hose. Works great!
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I installed my Provent I had to fab my own hose set up ....then the excellent hose set up from Sasquatch became available. Time to swap the setup much like you did D.Drax. I did have an issue though that required a "custom solution". The factory install of the coolant hose put the hose right next to and rubbing on the Provent. There are only so many variations on turning the Provent body in the mounting bracket that allow the Sasquatch hoses to route properly.
What I ended up doing is mounting the Provent with nylon stand off spacers and using longer metric bolts to move the Provent forward. This allowed proper alignment of the hoses while moving the Provent away from the factory mounted coolant hose. Works great! View attachment 418297 View attachment 418297
Huh, that's really strange. I don't have any problem like that, no clearance or rubbing issues here. The little mushroom cap like thing on the back is close to my coolant hose but it's not touching.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
218 Posts
What I ended up doing is mounting the Provent with nylon stand off spacers and using longer metric bolts to move the Provent forward. This allowed proper alignment of the hoses while moving the Provent away from the factory mounted coolant hose. Works great! View attachment 418297 View attachment 418297
It has been a while since i looked under the hood but it looks like you have the short side bolted to your truck. Also i see you missed the cover cut too lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
It was weird, but the factory coolant hose is so short that it offered no way to re-route it. The only thought I could come up with was that every truck has a slight difference in how the coolant hose was mounted during assembly. It sure beat having a high density, plastic rub plate zipped tied to the coolant hose. I actually cut more of the engine cover after taking the photo so it is not rubbing there.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado Zr2 Duramax
39 Posts
It was weird, but the factory coolant hose is so short that it offered no way to re-route it. The only thought I could come up with was that every truck has a slight difference in how the coolant hose was mounted during assembly. It sure beat having a high density, plastic rub plate zipped tied to the coolant hose. I actually cut more of the engine cover after taking the photo so it is not rubbing there.
I had/have the same problem as you. I loosened the clamp on the coolant reservoir hose and rotated it a little. That got it off the can but not by much and I am keeping an eye on it. Probably going to find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
21 CCSB Canyon AT4 diesel
45 Posts
Inspired by this thread (thank you) I finally got around to installing the Sasquatch catch can that I had sitting on the shelf for too long.

With under 10k km on my I was surprised to find the amount of "oil" in the factory line that I did.

The engine side of the factory hose was not connected well (came off just looking at it!)

For the price of the Sasquatch kit there is a lot of good things going for it, but I think it could be a better with minimal effort from the company. They should include a template to trim the engine cover, and the "adhesive" zip tie mounts are a poor excuse of a solution

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For the price of the Sasquatch kit there is a lot of good things going for it, but I think it could be a better with minimal effort from the company. They should include a template to trim the engine cover, and the "adhesive" zip tie mounts are a poor excuse of a solution
Agreed, was thinking some of these might work pretty well.

Reactions: BLSXJ

·
Registered
572 Posts
I gave them feedback earlier after I had to customize my install. Hopefully they take the advice that offering a kit that provides for mounting option problems emerges.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure if this helps anyone but this is where i put my valve and it looks to be much easier to access than coiled up on top
I spend a lot of time off-road in the summer and would rather have mine coiled up out of the way than hanging down where it could get snagged, whacked, etc by a rock, log, root, whatever. For...erm...mall-crawlers it should be perfectly fine like that, though. :D

Reactions: Cole505

·
Registered
218 Posts
I spend a lot of time off-road in the summer and would rather have mine coiled up out of the way than hanging down where it could get snagged, whacked, etc by a rock, log, root, whatever. For...erm...mall-crawlers it should be perfectly fine like that, though. :D
Just because Ill be towing my shitbox to abandoned malls for autocross doesnt make it mall crawler ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
This just landed on my doorstep. I'll post up pics and such once I get around to doing the install!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It seems to me that you had a different catch can earlier. Was it giving you trouble?

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 Diesel Extended Cab
127 Posts
Ok, install done! Took me an hour on the button start to finish including taking pics and fiddling with the drain hose (which I just coiled up in front of the airbox and secured with the reusable zip tie provided).

Started with this...

View attachment 418129

Removed the BMS can and tubing...
View attachment 418130

Installed the Sasquatch bracket, which was kind of a pain but not too bad. Just took some fiddling to get the expansion tank tab back over the locator on the fender, etc.
View attachment 418131

Installed the Provent. Pro-tip, run the bolts through the nuts on the bracket before mounting the Provent to clean the threads, makes getting the bolt started much easier when actually mounting the Provent.
View attachment 418132

Ran the hoses. Ended up going under the small coolant line, kept the host clamps loose so that the hose at the CCV heater connection could be positioned correctly. The CCV heater bracket actually attaches nicely to the lower Provent hose. The plastic bracket for the small coolant line ended up being removed and instead I just used a zip tie to secure it to the lower Provent hose.
View attachment 418134

Ensured clearance around the heat shield, etc...
View attachment 418135

View attachment 418136

Coiled the drain hose in front of the airbox. Cleaning and sticking the zip-tie mount to the frame rail was a pretty funny suggestion, but sticking was never in the cards. The zip tie on the airbox worked fine, though. So far...
View attachment 418137

All done!
Awesome post!
I have been thinking about getting this setup but wonder how long the filter will last and whether it can be cleaned? The long drain hose I assume will collect water or moisture laden substances that could freeze in the winter and hamper draining.
I seem to recall there was a part number change in the coolant reservoir. Could this cause fitment issues?

·
Registered
572 Posts
The element can be cleaned a few times, at least that has been my experience. I just flush it with a bit of gasoline, then let it air dry for 24hr. Seems to do a good cleaning. One could probably use kerosene for a solvent or anything that would not eat the plastic filter frame. The hose does do an ok job of collecting the oil-water-mist and there seems to be enough engine bay heat to keep the freezing problem a bit less of an issue. I ran a BMS can for one winter and that device was always clogging up and the sludge would clog the filter screen. Not sure on the coolant reservoir being a problem.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The element is supposed to be replaced every 25k-35k miles or so, costs like $30 on idparts.com. Not sure I'd bother cleaning it based on the price and interval.

Reactions: SFLTruck and SLUG

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased a Sasquatch Parts install kit new in the box never installed off ebay - and working on finding a Provent 200. I would like to purchase the OEM hose(s) that get cut during the install so I have them on hand should I ever need to go back to factory - anyone know the names or part numbers of the hoses? I have a 2016 Diesel Colorado - I searched the threads and found plenty of info on people making their own hoses but nothing on putting back the original hoses.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I just purchased a Sasquatch Parts install kit new in the box never installed off ebay - and working on finding a Provent 200. I would like to purchase the OEM hose(s) that get cut during the install so I have them on hand should I ever need to go back to factory - anyone know the names or part numbers of the hoses? I have a 2016 Diesel Colorado - I searched the threads and found plenty of info on people making their own hoses but nothing on putting back the original hoses.

Thanks in advance

You'll also need a tool like this for the Band-It clamps. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRDDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: ebesore
21 - 40 of 41 Posts