1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nuff said..........

0B0BDC53-E976-47F8-9480-CF679C3B5110.jpeg

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Lucky you, you at least have sanitizer!

Actually we still have some and it's not something we just have for this incident. My wife goes a lot of different public places and so keeps it in the car. We're probably good for another month without getting more because we don't use that much.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Went to the gym yesterday, wore my mechanic's gloves to keep from touching anything. Prior to all this people would have looked at me funny. Now I bet I start seeing people wearing full gloves. I am a trendsetter, I tell ya...

As a Costco shopper, I had a boatload of TP on hand before all this. Probably am halfway through our little hoard, had to tell my daughter to go easy on the TP, and to treat it like it is made of dollar bills. Seriously, WTF is up with the run on TP? In a post apocalyptic world, the dollar will be replaced with squares of TP - I guess TP is more absorbent :rolleyes:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the EXACT same view yesterday... Get the supplies, clean the hands as I get in the car, repeat.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I did not use gloves at the gym, I wiped down each thing prior to and after using along with my hands each time
Incline/decline and flat bench and bars. Used cables machine (one handle)for tri's.
One young couple were doing the same as me. Did not see anyone else wipe anything down

Duken4evr hope you threw those gloves in the wash as they may have picked up the virus off of any one thing at the gym

·
Registered
894 Posts
Is it really best to avoid the germs? For young people that is. It would help build immunity and resistance for future years to come.
People are obsessed with killing germs and bacteria.
Livestock farmers are surrounded by it everyday and are no more ill than the rest of the population.
There may even be a benefit studies are showing.
The covid-19 is linked to animals.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Is it really best to avoid the germs?
In general people worry about germs far too much. But the coronavirus is different. For it the goal is to limit the spread to reduce the overall harm, and also to prevent subsequent contact with another family member or acquaintance who might be in a more vulnerable position. There's a lot not known about the virus, including when it can be spread relative to symptoms being shown, but what is known is that for vulnerable populations it is a lot more deadly than the common flu.

BTW, technically a virus is not a germ.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Not much has changed for me, instead of working from home 2 days per week it's now 5 days. Over the weekend I stocked up on food to last for a while, we already keep paper towels and toilet paper available anyway. So, just have to try and avoid getting cabin fever.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Not much has changed for me, instead of working from home 2 days per week it's now 5 days. Over the weekend I stocked up on food to last for a while, we already keep paper towels and toilet paper available anyway. So, just have to try and avoid getting cabin fever.
I'm pretty well setup, but being married I have toilet paper range anxiety. I could go for half a year on a single roll, but the wife goes through it.

For food I started the process of renewing my emergency supplies before all this started, and now I'm adding to them. But for the food I eat day to day I'm pretty good because people no longer cook, so all the ingredients stuff is still in the stores. Ditto on produce (although the bananas were very green today--apparently there's been a run on bananas.)

My concern is if we have a major earthquake during this crisis, particularly if it's after a period when I've needed to use the emergency supply. That's why I'm adding to the emergency food supply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You people are lucky to have sanitizer . Hoarding is running out of control where I live . I need it more than most as I'm a transplant recipient and run a higher risk for the virus than the general public. Guess I will be staying indoors to finish the kitchen backsplash then get the Corvette ready for good weather. Nothing like something out of the norm to get people nuts.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
For food I started the process of renewing my emergency supplies before all this started, and now I'm adding to them. But for the food I eat day to day I'm pretty good because people no longer cook, so all the ingredients stuff is still in the stores. Ditto on produce (although the bananas were very green today--apparently there's been a run on bananas.)
I was pretty surprised when I made the big grocery trip over the weekend, the store was busy but not chaotic. More than enough checkout lines open so I didn't even have to wait in line (Which is unheard of at this store), and of all the things on my list the only problems were a specific chicken broth I use when making homemade ramen and, of course, toilet paper (As a just-in-case, not because we're running low). What the store WAS out of, other then toilet paper, was sliced bread from the big-brand shelves, eggs, and they were low on bottled water. I don't get the bottled water hoarding either. There was also plenty of smaller brand and in-store-baked sliced and unsliced bread, just seems people freaked out and bought all of the other stuff for some reason.

Plenty of produce, meats, frozen foods, soups, dry goods. Basically, plenty of everything needed to survive for a long time. Clearly panic buyers aren't thinking clearly when they're going shopping. "We're going to be holed up for weeks, better get all the toiler paper and bottled water we can!"

2 days later...

"Wait, where's all the foo...oh dang, I forgot to buy food!"

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yeah, the water thing is nuts. Maybe they drink too much water so that they then get diarrhea, and then need to use the toilet paper.

I wonder if flashlights are also out of stock! ;-)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think people are hoarding so much as everyone is buying the same stuff all at once, and stores simply can't maintain inventory in that scenario. We, fortunately, bought hand sanitize and toilet paper before that became an issue, and aren't really hurting for much in that regard.

Meanwhile, we have a newborn at home, and before that my wife was nine months pregnant with an especially bad flu strain running the rounds. We've effectively been quarantined for 3 months now... Stir. Crazy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got lucky. I just bought a 1/2 gallon bottle of Hand Sanitizer before the run on it. We use it to refill the small bottles we keep in our vehicles. Now I carry one of those small bottles in my pocket too. I also just purchased a 45 roll package of toilet paper. Thanks to Sam's these are normal recurring purchases that just happened to fall at the right time.

My routine stayed the same through today. My routine always involved starting my day at the gym followed by meeting friends or former coworkers for lunch (sometimes lunch with my wife). However, that changes with tomorrow. I'm not going to the gym or out to lunch until things improve/change. Missing the gym makes me cranky but it's better than Covid-19.

Guess it's time to get on that honey do list and maybe some detailing on my vehicles.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I don't think people are hoarding so much as everyone is buying the same stuff all at once, and stores simply can't maintain inventory in that scenario.
I don't think this woman is just buying what she needs. https://www.scoopwhoop.com/cdn-cgi/image/w=694,f=auto/https://s4.scoopwhoop.com/anj2/5e6f19f7b7042718e667d877/2d09a694-7a30-4a0a-876d-43543e04cf99.jpg

(Basically one woman tried to grab one of the many packages from the cart, saying she only needed one, and a fight ensued.) Here's the whole article: Amidst Coronavirus Scare, People Are Getting Into Physical Fights Over Toilet Paper

Meanwhile, we have a newborn at home, and before that my wife was nine months pregnant with an especially bad flu strain running the rounds. We've effectively been quarantined for 3 months now... Stir. Crazy.
New grandparent here and I'm pleasantly surprised that the TP situation apparently doesn't exist for disposable diapers. Maybe it's because different sizes will quickly be needed? Maybe there's more profit in diapers?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I did not use gloves at the gym, I wiped down each thing prior to and after using along with my hands each time
Incline/decline and flat bench and bars. Used cables machine (one handle)for tri's.
One young couple were doing the same as me. Did not see anyone else wipe anything down

Duken4evr hope you threw those gloves in the wash as they may have picked up the virus off of any one thing at the gym
That has been my MO at the gym for years. Unfortunately, Planet Fitness, where I work out is now closed. I workout between 4:30 and 6 am, and even in January with the "New Years Resolutionists" it was never crowded. Yesterday, before the order came to shut it down, I think there might have been 10 or 12 people - in a gym with probably 60 to 70 machines plus workout spaces.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I am working from home now till further notice.

Wife is paid off for at least a month.

My son has school on line now but has to go to work a couple days a week at a grocery store.

So we will just lie low for a while here and let thing run their course. I kind of expect it may come to a 14 day shut down to slow the spread in some areas. After that it should see a decline base on China and other Asian countries.

The key right now is to manage this and not overwhelm the Medical facilities.

I told my wife Over the weekend if the hospitals get over run they will have to chose who to treat. Many did not understand this till Italy sent those over 80 home untreated. I anticipated it but it still sends a cold chill to see a country do that. We have a better system but it still can be overwhelmed in large metro areas.

if you can isolate like recommended it is best you try to do so. Getting sick is not fun and the early and late folks will be ok but those at the peak could be more at risk.

But we will get through this. Pray for the people and our country and hunker down. I hope to see light at the end of the tunnel by May barring unforeseen things like a mutation Of the strain or unseen quality.

I hope by summer this is more a clean up of a bad memory.

I hope they get a vaccine by fall.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts