Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Colorado WT v6 2wd, 1”level
281 Posts
Same thing happen to my bull bar. Yes it broke my grill but if it hadn’t been there the bumper would have broke my fall in the ditch

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Airbags didn’t deploy, not sure they would have? I dunno, it wasn’t a fast moving collision. Since the front ends are all plastic parts the bar definitely saved me from a lot worse damage (it was -30 degrees Celsius, those plastics were brittle and I likely would have shattered the whole front end) . I’m lucky my rad wasn’t wrecked along with everything else behind the grill. I’m all for them, I’m sure if I was in a proper accident the airbags would deploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The crash sensor (one of them) should be sitting behind the body panels around the radiator…. Probably. I don’t actually know. But it’s there on other Chevy vehicles

The sound of the impact is what sets it off…. I mean it’s basically a shitty microphone..It’s very possible the bull bar prevented them from going off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good news everybody!

In talks with my body shop, I'm getting a new face on my truck!

Getting rid of the chrome grill and skid plate for a grill with body matched surround and gloss black slats, and a gloss black skid plate. Bull bar will be covered by insurance.

Thanks for giving a damn, I'll be posting pictures once it's done in the body shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen a lot of damaged trucks & SUV's at my buddy's body shop. Often there is more damage caused when the bull bar folds up into the grill and radiator & condenser.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've seen a lot of damaged trucks & SUV's at my buddy's body shop. Often there is more damage caused when the bull bar folds up into the grill and radiator & condenser.
Maybe at higher speeds it would have, without it the light post would have destroyed all the frozen plastic in the front end. I likely would have needed a tow and destroyed the rad, condenser, and fan assemblies along with so much more. I'm not saying they are always going to prevent serious damage but in this situation it would have been much worse had I not had it installed.

My only worry is frame bending but I think the mounting brackets and bar itself acted as a crumple zone well enough to absorb the impact. Truck drives fine, just looks bad.

I have heard similar stories, definitely low impact collisions or non serious fender benders could be made worse from the bar getting pushed into everything. Everyone warned me about this but now they are eating their words after seeing the extent of my damage.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,206 Posts
Wondering what the pole will cost your insurance to replace? I’m guessing 25k

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Almost always $0.
Not sure why you think that. I had a girlfriend who sold her car to her brother without reporting it to the state. I got her to report the sale and a couple of weeks later he took out a power pole. If she hadn't reported it she would have been on the hook for something like $15k.

An idiot ex-neighbor of mine took out a power pole without insurance. Ditto on the liability, and the vehicle was something he had just paid about $20,000 for a few months earlier, so about a $35k loss for him overall.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Not sure why you think that. I had a girlfriend who sold her car to her brother without reporting it to the state. I got her to report the sale and a couple of weeks later he took out a power pole. If she hadn't reported it she would have been on the hook for something like $15k.

An idiot ex-neighbor of mine took out a power pole without insurance. Ditto on the liability, and the vehicle was something he had just paid about $20,000 for a few months earlier, so about a $35k loss for him overall.
Had a semi smack a lamp and break it once. Words of the insurance agent.

If I had to hazard a guess. It gets lost somewhere in the bureaucracy. And they just fix it.

Probably easier for a utility company to send a bill.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Probably easier for a utility company to send a bill.
I'm guessing it depends on whether there is a police report. Although maybe a traffic camera present might also make a difference!

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,179 Posts
Wondering what the pole will cost your insurance to replace? I’m guessing 25k
I had a friend that took out a telephone pole in high school... That cost $3,000 to replace

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I only have to pay my deductible, the damaged property will be handled by the city's insurance. this kind of thing happens so frequently in my city.... the response time for the crew to come inspect the post being out was quicker than the police to come take a statement and help with traffic

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I only have to pay my deductible, the damaged property will be handled by the city's insurance.
I suspect it will be their insurance going after your insurance, or maybe just the city going directly after your insurance. No reason the city's insurance should end up with that liability when you are liable (but for insurance).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I suspect it will be their insurance going after your insurance, or maybe just the city going directly after your insurance. No reason the city's insurance should end up with that liability when you are liable (but for insurance).
Not my first rodeo, way back before the truck I hit some black ice and took out a yield sign. Filed my claim, got a call asking what sign was taken out and told not to worry about it. Canadian insurance policies and liabilities may work a bit different than the states, there's a lot less going-after-the-other-party-for-damages that goes on here.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Not my first rodeo, way back before the truck I hit some black ice and took out a yield sign. Filed my claim, got a call asking what sign was taken out and told not to worry about it. Canadian insurance policies and liabilities may work a bit different than the states, there's a lot less going-after-the-other-party-for-damages that goes on here.
Glad I don't own any road signs or power poles in Canada! ;-)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Liability may very well be the reason they don’t pursue it.

There are numerous laws that protect the government from being sued for every pothole, bump, and obscure sign. But they can be shot down in court.

“If I am liable for damages I do, but they are not liable for damages they do…. How is that fair?” Is a hell of an argument. Especially if it’s backed by court cases of the city or state suing over damages like this.

Just my 0.02. To me yes the driver should 100% pay for it. It just doesn’t seem to happen.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts