Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, crashed my truck this past weekend. fortunately my bull bar prevented serious damage. Drove away fine, seems to be all cosmetic
Automotive parking light Snow Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Grille

I'm hopping my body shop will be willing to swap some parts for me.... and have my bull bar covered under my insurance. I want the chrome skid plate switched to the textured black plastic and a body painted grill surround with the chrome slats. The licensing agency is a joke though, so they'll probably force it back to factory.... no new bar for me

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
That's why I avoided taking my truck out for fun during our snow. On the bright side with that limited damage you won't have to worry about parts shortages keeping you from using your truck. That was my concern. I want to make a trip to California in the spring.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
Glad you're OK. That's the main thing. Do you have the option to cash out instead of doing the repair? That way you can just buy your own grill and bumper. Have you considered a steel front bumper? I know the Canyon offerings aren't the greatest visual offerings, but it would help vs not replacing the bull bar.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
You took out that light pole and all I can see in the pic is a cracked grill and bent bull bar. I'd say that bull bar did a great job keeping you from serious damage.
I could tell a story about my winch mount on my 89 Ranger being totally undamaged when it did destroy the trunk of the car I hit, but I'd rather not admit to having made any mistakes. /embarrassed

Seriously I felt really bad because the people were on vacation and had luggage in their trunk they needed to keep secure.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
1,041 Posts
Insurance should replace your bar, it is mounted to truck.
If not tell them that of it was not on there the claim would have been alot higher, it saved them $$$

If you want to upgrade to something else, talk with the shop, they might give you the option to pay the difference for upgrade.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Insurance should replace your bar, it is mounted to truck.
That's not necessarily the factor. On my insurance it's whether it was a factory item or included in the dealer contract. Insurance policies may vary. But on my policy there is also a base level of protection for aftermarket, I think it may be $1,000.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can tell the grill, bumper cover and chrome skid plate are destroyed. damage to the shutters behind the grill, and the front underbody skid plate. I was really worried the Rad would be busted

That's why I avoided taking my truck out for fun during our snow. On the bright side with that limited damage you won't have to worry about parts shortages keeping you from using your truck. That was my concern. I want to make a trip to California in the spring.
It's my year round daily. The Mrs just bought a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk... that might be the new daily for a while. Yeah as far as I know the grill doesn't need a microprocessor

You took out that light pole and all I can see in the pic is a cracked grill and bent bull bar. I'd say that bull bar did a great job keeping you from serious damage.
The bull bar did a phenomenal job of preventing further damage. I'm honestly so happy to have that on my truck

Glad you're OK. That's the main thing. Do you have the option to cash out instead of doing the repair? That way you can just buy your own grill and bumper. Have you considered a steel front bumper? I know the Canyon offerings aren't the greatest visual offerings, but it would help vs not replacing the bull bar.
Thanks, yeah I'm ok, truck is drivable. I can't afford the repairs so going through with insurance is my only option. Personally not a fan of any of the steel bumper setups I have seen for canyons, and the bull bar also makes a great place to tie down the front of my kayak when transporting.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
153 Posts
I could tell a story about my winch mount on my 89 Ranger being totally undamaged when it did destroy the trunk of the car I hit, but I'd rather not admit to having made any mistakes. /embarrassed

Seriously I felt really bad because the people were on vacation and had luggage in their trunk they needed to keep secure.
I could tell you a story about coming home from camping in my friends '89ish Ranger that for whatever reason didn't have a bumper at all. The punch line is we hit a deer and the truck had to be towed.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
It's my year round daily.
To be clear I said I didn't take it out for fun. I only needed to go one place during the entire time the snow was on the ground and that was a short distance away so we took the Subaru. It's a gasser and warms up faster.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,217 Posts
That does suck that you crashed.
Insurance should cover what is installed on the truck.
When my 2001 Tahoe was in an accident I was able to upgrade the hood and change the chrome grill to the paintable. (I paid teh difference for the hood (painting a hood is painting a hood) and the chrome grill and the painted grill work out to the same end price.) Afterwards the Insurance company took photos, then that was the new standard for the truck if it was to get damaged again.
A good Body Shop will always help work with the insurance company.
So my Stock 2001 Tahoe LT went from (example pic)
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

To This:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Insurance should pay for the grill guard.
When I hit the deer last year the Insurance company paid for the replacement of my after market headlights.
I had to buy them, I e-mailed the receipt to the insurance company and they sent me a check back. the body shop installed them .
Body shop coulld not do a purchase order to Amazon, as they just go through their body parts suppliers.

Reactions: Riley Kinch

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Insurance should pay for the grill guard.
When I hit the deer last year the Insurance company paid for the replacement of my after market headlights.
I had to buy them, I e-mailed the receipt to the insurance company and they sent me a check back. the body shop installed them .
Body shop coulld not do a purchase order to Amazon, as they just go through their body parts suppliers.
Fortunately the shop the bull bar was purchased from is across the street from my dealership. Go Rhino is pretty popular in these parts

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad you're okay. Sounds/looks like the airbags didn't deploy? Do you think they would have if the bar wasn't there? Been considering one but am a bit worried about them not deploying if needed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you're okay. Sounds/looks like the airbags didn't deploy? Do you think they would have if the bar wasn't there? Been considering one but am a bit worried about them not deploying if needed.
Airbags didn’t deploy, not sure they would have? I dunno, it wasn’t a fast moving collision. Since the front ends are all plastic parts the bar definitely saved me from a lot worse damage (it was -30 degrees Celsius, those plastics were brittle and I likely would have shattered the whole front end) . I’m lucky my rad wasn’t wrecked along with everything else behind the grill. I’m all for them, I’m sure if I was in a proper accident the airbags would deploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elnino

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,221 Posts
Sorry man- glad it was relatively minor and nobody was hurt.

Reactions: Riley Kinch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, crashed my truck this past weekend. fortunately my bull bar prevented serious damage. Drove away fine, seems to be all cosmetic View attachment 421329
View attachment 421328

I'm hopping my body shop will be willing to swap some parts for me.... and have my bull bar covered under my insurance. I want the chrome skid plate switched to the textured black plastic and a body painted grill surround with the chrome slats. The licensing agency is a joke though, so they'll probably force it back to factory.... no new bar for me
That for sure looks like it saved you some damage. i just brought a 2021 Colorado about a 10 days ago and had some one hit it in a empty parking lot. wish i had gone ahead and put one of those on mine when i got it. taking tomorrow into dealer to have fr fender, headlight grill and hood replaced. truck has less than 1000 miles on it, yep it sucks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad you are OK. The truck can thankfully be fixed, looks like the bull bar took the worst of it which is good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts