Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some weight out of the bed of my 2019 CC and did some mods to my travel trailer. I built of a macerator pump from a garbage disposal, added a hitch to the travel trailer and moved the generator and portable dump tank to a cargo carrier behind the trailer. I needed to make room in the truck bed when camping and get some weight moved around. Happy with the results and ready for next week's trip to Lake Wright Patman.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Looks good, my brother did about the same, he put folding /telescoping wheels on the carrier so, when he got to where he was going, just dropped the wheels and rolled the generator 50ft away from the camper...

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Just a word of caution with the square tube rear travel trailer bumper. First of all the tubing is real thin, and the welds do not hold real well because of the thin metal. On my TT, I added some heavy 4”X4”x 3/16” angle brackets bolted on as add on support in case the welds were to break. I already had the spare tire on it and I added a 32 gallon dump tank, which was added weight. The only reason that I am mentioning this is because I see that you have mounted what I have plus a generator. Not trying to tell you what to do, just mentioning this to help you travel safely, knowing what I have seen these tube bumpers do. They are not designed to support much weight. Just want you to have a safe and enjoyable tow experience! Please do not hold this against me. Just wanting to help.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Here is a video that supports the concern I mentioned above. It talks about a bike rake, which is not your situation, but weight of any kind can do the same thing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a word of caution with the square tube rear travel trailer bumper. First of all the tubing is real thin, and the welds do not hold real well because of the thin metal. On my TT, I added some heavy 4”X4”x 3/16” angle brackets bolted on as add on support in case the welds were to break. I already had the spare tire on it and I added a 32 gallon dump tank, which was added weight. The only reason that I am mentioning this is because I see that you have mounted what I have plus a generator. Not trying to tell you what to do, just mentioning this to help you travel safely, knowing what I have seen these tube bumpers do. They are not designed to support much weight. Just want you to have a safe and enjoyable tow experience! Please do not hold this against me. Just wanting to help.
Thank you! I was concerned about the thin bumper. Eventually I will have a heavier bumper installed. I purposely moved the spare and the new hitch further out towards the mounts for added support. I think I will go back and reinforce it as you did. Great idea. Could you possibly send me a pic of the brackets that you added?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, my brother did about the same, he put folding /telescoping wheels on the carrier so, when he got to where he was going, just dropped the wheels and rolled the generator 50ft away from the camper...
That's an awesome idea!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Thank you! I was concerned about the thin bumper. Eventually I will have a heavier bumper installed. I purposely moved the spare and the new hitch further out towards the mounts for added support. I think I will go back and reinforce it as you did. Great idea. Could you possibly send me a pic of the brackets that you added?
I do not have a picture anymore and my TT is 12 miles away at storage. I bought the brackets at Do It Best Hardware, they are black powder coated, 4” angle brackets. The mounting legs are about 3” long and have, if I remember correctly 3 holes in each leg. They are 3/16”-1/4” thick. They are not cheap, about $6 each. The bumper is less than 1/8” thick. The bumper tube is the weak length, because it’s main purpose is to store a dump hose and maybe mount a spare tire. Nothing else. Pull one of your end caps and you will see how weak the bumper tube is. When they welded it to the thicker frame channel, it probably weakened the thin metal tube even more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have a picture anymore and my TT is 12 miles away at storage. I bought the brackets at Do It Best Hardware, they are black powder coated, 4” angle brackets. The mounting legs are about 3” long and have, if I remember correctly 3 holes in each leg. They are 3/16”-1/4” thick. They are not cheap, about $6 each. The bumper is less than 1/8” thick. The bumper tube is the weak length, because it’s main purpose is to store a dump hose and maybe mount a spare tire. Nothing else. Pull one of your end caps and you will see how weak the bumper tube is. When they welded it to the thicker frame channel, it probably weakened the thin metal tube even more.
Thanks. I'll pick up some brackets in the morning and get them mounted.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I used 3/8” bolts, they fit the holes perfectly. I had heard of several bad stories about them cheap tube bumpers coming apart, I wanted to make sure that I beefed up the mount before I added the large dump tank to the bumper. Just a little insurance policy, will probably keep the weld from ever breaking loose.

·
Registered
813 Posts
They sell these neat little support brackets for the RV rear bumper if you don't have access or inclined to McGiver something yourself.

Also, another expensive option would be to install a full blown class III hitch at the rear.
Curt makes that as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought 1/4" steel brackets for farm machinery and bolted one to each frame and ran a 3/8 bolt through the bumper and brackets with thick fender washers. Held up well on our first trip with the generator and dump tank on the cargo carrier, but it worried me to death the whole trip out and back. Supposed to go Sunday to a buddy's house and he has a section of heavy wall 4 x 4 square tubing. We're going to cut the old bumper off and weld on a new one. Weather permitting, I'll post an update. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
That will make everything stronger. Good idea. I did not have them options.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the link to those brackets! I'm trying to decide how i want to attach my scooter carrier to the back bumper of our camper. These might just give me the piece of mind I've been looking for.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Travel trailer owners need to be careful when adding weight to them square tube rear bumpers. Pull the end cap off and look how thin the tube metal is and most of them are rusted on the inside. The weld is stronger than the metal.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Travel trailer owners need to be careful when adding weight to them square tube rear bumpers. Pull the end cap off and look how thin the tube metal is and most of them are rusted on the inside. The weld is stronger than the metal.
That is why once a year after doing an oil change on the Colorado I soak a rag in the old oil and run it through the TT bumper with a rod. Rust particles and flakes do come out the other end. Not sure how effective this is but can't hurt to coat the inside of that square bumper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts