Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

Premium Member
Are those rust holes thru to the frame/supports?? Maybe take to body shop and get their opinion.

That one picture with the crack is from something. And was mostly over the axle area which may has spread to the other spots on your bed.

Well good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I will get the body shops opinion鈥t鈥檚 just beside the support. I think weld in a couple of patches, primer and box liner.
Automotive tire Tread Fender Gas Tints and shades

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door

Premium Member
Yeah - the cut out and patch and reseal should work for a while. Man wish my S10 body looked that good when I had it. even the underside didnt look as good as your truck. The only difference was my bed was mint..Go figure.

Registered
Weld in a few patches after you cut that out, Corroseal or POR15 on any surface rust and then put in a bed mat or bed rug.

Registered
Like you I also purchased a mint one owner white Colorado with about 127K on the clock (2005). Had an interior leak that I had to chase for a few days. The only real rust I found on my truck was where the last owner had drilled 4 holes into the top rails so to secure a cap. In the bed I had 2 small spots which were mainly surface rust. Owner had the original rubber bed mat and I believe water may have settled underneath the mat. I took my truck to a local body shot where they sand blasted away any of the rust, welded in all the drilled holes, finished by priming and painting. The next day it went to be rhino lined which cost me $500.00, in the pictures you can see I had them go over the rails to cover the areas welded even though you couldn't tell where the repairs were. Since then I added a fiberglass topper which I truly like, keeps everything perfectly dry. Love the truck.
Larry
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nice truck!!! Thanks for the post. Yeah it鈥檚 a fun truck to drive鈥ell the box is coming off today and going to get this taken care of. Probably paint the frame with the box off. Any recommendations on paint? I originally was going to do por15 but lots mixed reviews.

Premium Member
Its an old truck(nice truck dont get me wrong), that more then likely isnt going to stay in the family that long.....while i understand doing it the correct way, i can also understand being cost effective......I would clean it best as possible, and then have it sprayed with bed liner.....will prolly last another 5 years or so, and buy that time, your daughter will more then likely looking for a new vehicle......Unless you plan on keeping the truck a long long time, i wouldnt waste to much money...

Reactions: Sjs67

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah your right I need to make sure I don鈥檛 get carried away. I tend to do that on stuff I fixed. As for the holes 鈥 was going to cut out, stitch weld in patches, epoxy primer and raptor liner. Probably do por15 in the underneath and slap it back together. The frame I was in the fence. Was going to see when I get the box off.

I bought the raptor liner kit for 1/2 price with gun and tape from a guy that sold his truck. Besides a little bit of material it just my time.

Registered
In the context of post # 29 and # 30 and in light of post # 32 above - the truck is very nice and worth the effort. You've gone this far, have the know-how, the space to work and the time (things many of us don't have). This truck is worth the effort. Vehicles have become and continue to become more complicated and more of the electronics of the newer vehicles can make them too expensive to repair - but this truck is not as complex and it will hold value.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Score found 2 hide a keys. Lol.
Frame washed up pretty well. Nothing for severe rust damage.

93Duc, yeah I feel it worth fixing what I can. Also my daughter is helping so I鈥檓 trying to teach her all about vehicles and what your paying for if you don鈥檛 learn how to do yourself.

So from that perspective it invaluable the things learned compared to the actual cost. I do my own powder coating, welding, fabrication, vehicle maintenance and build custom snowmobiles. So really want my kids to learn.
Road surface Asphalt Grey Font Rectangle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Wow, I think that is fantastic. She is motivated to learn, you have the knowledge to pass along. There is so much brain drain these days, in every country, but it is bad in the USA - knowledge and wisdom is being lost at an alarming rate. Great that you are able to pass this on.
Bonus on finding the extra keys!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah I thought about that. See what it鈥檚 worth. It鈥檚 really easy to take the box off tho.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts