Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2017 Z71 Crew Cab Short box.
Just looking for opinions on Running Board vs Nerf Bar.
And looking to install myself - Hopefully no drilling if possible.
Any suggestions and/or ideas welcomed - Thanks

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans
No drilling is involved for off the shelf running boards or bars, as they all use the factory holes on the bottom and backside of the rockers. Easy install, if you know the procedure ahead of time. I did it alone and took 40 minutes per truck to do 2 sets, on the ground with no jacking, for N-Fab nerf bars.
Style is subjective, but there are several threads here showcasing a lot of them.

Here's one:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-2nd-gen-appearance-body/244418-running-boards.html

·
Vendor
415 Posts
It really boils down to style preference, though some boards (like AMP) have distinct functionality differences. I will note that while they're probably the best looking (IMO), the N-Fab style hoop steps are not the best for vehicle exit. So if having a large stepping surface for both entry and exit is important you're better off with a different style.

If you need any help or have any specific questions feel free to ask here or PM. When you're ready, I'd be more than happy to see what we can do about saving you a few $. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It really boils down to style preference, though some boards (like AMP) have distinct functionality differences. I will note that while they're probably the best looking (IMO), the N-Fab style hoop steps are not the best for vehicle exit. So if having a large stepping surface for both entry and exit is important you're better off with a different style.

If you need any help or have any specific questions feel free to ask here or PM. When you're ready, I'd be more than happy to see what we can do about saving you a few $. ;)
Any recommendations for a ZR2? I mainly need steps for entry (not me personally, the wife and kids :p ) and I want to mainting off-road functionality and ground clearance. I've seen a couple that I like but I'm wondering what your advice is.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
the N-Fab style hoop steps are not the best for vehicle exit.
Lol!
That's exactly why I got them. They're more for looks and the mother in law to use, as the wife and I don't use them, so they're easy to step around without getting pants dirty.

·
Vendor
415 Posts
I like the looks of the iron cross sidearms. Any pros and cons to these? What has customer feedback on them been?
We don't have any customer reviews yet on these. I saw them at SEMA last year but haven't seen them in the wild yet, nor have we brought any into the office. We do have Iron Cross in town in the next week or two, I'll check and see if we're getting a set in to review and install.

If it were my ZR2 I would probably go with N-Fab or the Havoc HS2 steps (which we have a really hard time keeping in stock) just to maintain a certain look. The HS2 has a much better step area than the traditional N-Fab hoop step, but either would look great on your truck.

Actually, I'd keep the rock rails but can understand if that's not an option :wink2:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I went with the Westin HDX Xtreme Running Boards. They were simple to install, no drilling or hassles and only took about 30 minutes to get them put on. They are very solid to step on and they tuck up close to the body to hide the frame rails. The wife and I are both happy with the boards.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
The one nice thing about running boards verses nerf bars is the running boards give a greater protection. I have the GM 5" rectangular side steps with mud flaps and like the protection. A true running board really protects your paint against rocks and crap being thrown up on the sides and rear fenders of your truck. Then again, it also depends on what you want your truck to look like.
Here are my Chevy 5'' chrome side steps. It seems funny to me that the OEM steps have four mounting brackets and a lot of the after market steps only have three. Anyhow, I like mine a lot.

Attachments

·
Vendor
415 Posts
I like the rock rails too, I'll procrastinate until I can't take the wife's nagging any longer lol
Shoot me a PM when it finally gets to be too much and I'll get you set up with something else :laugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got Tyger Riser Running Boards on mine because of my girls having to climb up. Once they are old enough I will probably move to Nerf Bars. They were pretty easy to install, about 45 min. with basic tools. I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.