Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Opt7 drl/turn/courtesy led strips in the 60" to install on the sides of my 2019 ZR2. I ran the wires to the rear taillights but I'm trying to figure out how to wire them. The lights have 4 wires, black for ground, yellow for turn signal, red for parking and white for courtesy. I'm not going to use the white. My issue is I dont want these LEDs to light up when I hit the brake. How can I wire these to work correctly?

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
417 Posts
I ordered some Opt7 drl/turn/courtesy led strips in the 60" to install on the sides of my 2019 ZR2. I ran the wires to the rear taillights but I'm trying to figure out how to wire them. The lights have 4 wires, black for ground, yellow for turn signal, red for parking and white for courtesy. I'm not going to use the white. My issue is I dont want these LEDs to light up when I hit the brake. How can I wire these to work correctly?
If it were me I would build a fused and relay controlled wire harness which pulls running power from an accessory dedicated circuit, and tap into the fuse block or trailer lighting receptacle for the on/off signal to activate the relay. If you wire the lights like this then it is safer and GM cannot hold the installation against your warranty, where if you tapped directly into the tail light harness and have electrical issues down the road, they could easily void your warranty.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
so you are going to install a 60 light strip that provide a DRL light, turn Sgnal and courtesy light on the side of your truck. I ggoogled it real quick and the wiring directions seem pretty straight forward..not a plug-n-play, more like a splice-n-play

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just ordered the same set I had a store credit so they were free. Also looking for help on how to wire them up. I mostly want the turn signal and puddle light feature.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
chck in the How to section, some one about a yer and a half ago wrote up a how to wire up puddle lights, I installed some, was real easy, not sure about turn signals though

·
Registered
104 Posts
chck in the How to section, some one about a yer and a half ago wrote up a how to wire up puddle lights, I installed some, was real easy, not sure about turn signals though
I saw that one. I popped my trim panel off to look and it looks a little different on my drivers side. I know thats probably not true but I'll go back to it and look again. I think the turns are in that cluster because of the stalk on the wheel just a matter of which wire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
why not grab all your power needs from the trailer wiring ?
Not sure if they would come on when door opens which was my main reason for ordering them. I could tap the reverse lights and have them light up when I unlock at night.

·
Registered
104 Posts
that would be a pain, and not do what I wanted them for, when I am walking up to truck to unlock the door the lights come on and light up under the truck and also where I am steppping getting in and out of my truck. works great in cow pasures when ya do not know wht ya might be steppin in..that gray wires is up under behind the kick panel, I'm an old guy and I got contorted enough to get to it...
Yeah I'm trying to find a wiring diagram to look at. I've got time they havent shipped yet and Its too snowy and cold to install them. If I figure it out i'll post a how i did it here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not sure if they would come on when door opens which was my main reason for ordering them. I could tap the reverse lights and have them light up when I unlock at night.
One of the wires in the trailer wiring is reverse (unless I'm mistaken)
Since we all use the remote, it should light up heading to the truck, getting out would be the problem though, unless you hit the remote again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One of the wires in the trailer wiring is reverse (unless I'm mistaken)
Since we all use the remote, it should light up heading to the truck, getting out would be the problem though, unless you hit the remote again.
At night the reverse lights come on when you get out of the truck as part of the courtesy lights. Tested it by covering the day light sensor. I;ll try again tonight. If thats the case then the trailer wiring might be the best bet. I did find the schemitcs for the interior but i'll have to see the kit when i get it to decide how i would run both sets inside

·
Registered
837 Posts
At night the reverse lights come on when you get out of the truck as part of the courtesy lights. Tested it by covering the day light sensor. I;ll try again tonight. If thats the case then the trailer wiring might be the best bet. I did find the schemitcs for the interior but i'll have to see the kit when i get it to decide how i would run both sets inside
That's what I figured, at least you have the added benefit of puddle lights only at night, don't need them in the day..
I couldn't tell you off hand, I know the reverse lights come on for a limited amount of time if you don't enter the truck, but I think they shut off when you close the door.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's what I figured, at least you have the added benefit of puddle lights only at night, don't need them in the day..
I couldn't tell you off hand, I know the reverse lights come on for a limited amount of time if you don't enter the truck, but I think they shut off when you close the door.
Looks like they will be delivered tomorrow so i might have some answers once I get the kit here and try and install it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Got them in here's what I found using the trailer harness.1. Trailer harness doesn't have separate turn signal/brake light wire so when I hit the brakes they come on, meh I can live with this. 2 I installed them with the wires in the back so they scan back to front, I can live with that. 3 itn pays to take your time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I used my stock trailer harness for my rear light bar all functions worked,turn,brakes and reverse.

Wonder why it wont work for your side light bars?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Played with plenty of trailer harnesses, brake / signal have always been seperate. Check you wire diagram from the light bar, is one a constant power ? (might be the screw up)
I just realized one mistake using the reverse for the puddle function.. they will turn on, but of course the will also will be on while in reverse..sort of a d'uh moment for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Played with plenty of trailer harnesses, brake / signal have always been seperate. Check you wire diagram from the light bar, is one a constant power ? (might be the screw up)
I just realized one mistake using the reverse for the puddle function.. they will turn on, but of course the will also will be on while in reverse..sort of a d'uh moment for me.
I have it wire to the right wire on the bar since they move sequentiallym the lighting digram for the trailer harness has the wires listed as stop/turn/tail for each side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts