Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is there a rubber bushing on one of the slide pins? whats its purpose? it makes it **** near impossible to reinsert the pin after greasing. no other vehicle ive seen has this....and its only on ONE pin, not both. i cant imagine the reason for it.

recently after doing a brake check, i couldnt get one pin back in because of the bushing. the rubber had expanded, and absolutely would not go back in. i wound up taking it off and using the pin without it. after a few hundred miles, including a long tow, and the brakes feel fine......anyone know why this stupid rubber is there, and if there is any downside to removing it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Keeps moisture and dirt out so the slider pin stays free, its designed to be a "floating brake" if it seizes it no longer will be a floating system, suppose to be one on each slider..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont mean the rubber caps that mate the caliper bracket to the slide pins. i mean on ONE pin, there is a short rubber sleeve at the end of the pin, the end that gets inserted to the bracket.

ive done countless brake jobs, and have never seen this before

·
Registered
123 Posts
That pin im pretty sure always goes on top of the caliper.. its an anti-rattler pin, both mine on my truck have a slit through it, comes off easy, but hard to get back in, just work it nice and easy and it always goes back in..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good AM! Had to replace caliper boots and one pin yesterday, ended up pulling everything apart to clean, wire brush, replace, and re-grease! Well...thought I remembered that the pin with the rubber end grommet/seal was in the bottom and the pin head marks on the caliper show they were on the bottom! I want to make sure that this is correct because after placing them in the bottom one doesn't move great and the top w/o the rubber piece on it seems super easy to move! BColoradoS above states he thinks his is on top.

Does anyone know for sure where the two different caliper pins go as far as top and bottom placement? Searched Google, called GM parts, no luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
2008 Colorado LT 2wd. Does anyone know for sure where the two different caliper pins go as far as top and bottom placement? One with a rubber bushing the other without!

·
Registered
2017 2.8 Duramax Z71 CCLB
26 Posts
I have a 2017 Colorado. The guide pins for the rear disc brakes are not identical. The service manual states that the guide pin with the rubber bushing goes on the bottom. This pin can be identified by the side indentions (as opposed to the semi circular cutout on the ends of the top pin). I read about the problems with swelling. I re-greased it with CRC synthetic brake grease. I’ll check for swelling.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Not sure if a comparison between a 2008 and 2017 will be accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is old, but I've been having this problem myself and couldn't find the answer anywhere. So I called my local dealer and managed to speak to the shop foreman himself instead of the parts or service department, and he was able to look it up and tell me it went on the bottom.

Just wanted to get that information out there so the next person with this issue can actually find an answer.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I know this is old, but I've been having this problem myself and couldn't find the answer anywhere. So I called my local dealer and managed to speak to the shop foreman himself instead of the parts or service department, and he was able to look it up and tell me it went on the bottom.

Just wanted to get that information out there so the next person with this issue can actually find an answer.
1st or 2nd gen truck?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Absolutely correct!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts