Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

RSI Smartcap for Colorado/Canyon

22381 Views 29 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Tom S.
My longterm goal is to acquire this cap. I was wondering if anyone else had ordered one or had previous experience with one. Here's the link: SmartCap EVO

I'm looking to use it as a camper, and if I ever change my mind and want to try a RTT, I'd still be able to throw it on top.

I'm mostly camping, fishing, and hauling paddleboards around. I'm not a fan of most caps but I"m interested in how the RSI Smartcap would perform.

Pulled the image from their Instagram.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Have you seen the RLD Designs shell? Similar, but one piece(like a normal shell) and stainless steel. Double the roof carrying capacity. Similar price point with more options available.

http://instagr.am/p/CD6itzGg_E9/
Purchased and installed last week. Very happy so far. I will be using it with my James Baroud Evasion XXL as well. Alternating between my Rubicon and Colorado depending on the trip.. 330lbs Dynamic and 770lbs Static load which should handle my RTT easily.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Purchased and installed last week. Very happy so far. I will be using it with my James Baroud Evasion XXL as well. Alternating between my Rubicon and Colorado depending on the trip.. 330lbs Dynamic and 770lbs Static load which should handle my RTT easily. Similar capacity to the RLD Designs which indicated “an over 700 lbs” static load capacity.
The RSI does look slick and I love the modular design. BTW, RLD states a 700# dynamic load.
How much do caps like these weigh? Couldn't find a number on the website.
The RSI does look slick and I love the modular design. BTW, RLD states a 700# dynamic load.
Good catch! I edited it out

How much do caps like these weigh? Couldn't find a number on the website.
In an email exchange with RSI in March, they indicated approximately 175lbs before accessories are added.
Tagged for interest. I've been looking at the RSI cap. I'm held back by its very angular design thinking it wouldn't look great with the flowing roof on the Colorado, but I didn't see any photos with one wearing it. Looks pretty decent, though if I'm honest, I think they look better on the F150 or late model Tacomas where the cap compliments some of the lines on those trucks a bit better.
I don't have one of these caps but I work at an Overland shop and in my opinion I think they're overrated. Because it isn't one solid piece, it's held together with plastic tabs and the pre-cut holes for the tabs are very flimsy. We've had to replace various panels several times because by the time they get shipped to our shop they're bent to **** and can't be fixed. If I were going to buy a cap I'd go with an ARE Overlander or something similar. Just my 2 cents.
Reactions: 4
@Bearcat90 Wow, my genuine thanks for sharing. I was unaware on how they clasp together and will do a little more research on some long term reviews.
@Bearcat90 Wow, my genuine thanks for sharing. I was unaware on how they clasp together and will do a little more research on some long term reviews.
SmartCap Parts List and Install Instructions
This looks to be fairly similar to the SmartCap. Although I couldn't find installation instructions so I can't be sure it doesn't need to be assembled too, but it doesn't look like it does.
If I were going to buy a cap I'd go with an ARE Overlander or something similar. Just my 2 cents.
My ARE has been with me for over a decade. Very little trouble with it. Pretty dang tough considering what it’s seen.
Reactions: 2
I was researching this RSI but the commercial version as I don’t want windows on the side and the RLD Designs. RSI has a video of how to put their cap together I didn’t see plastic tabs being used, but perhaps I missed it. Ultimately I’ve decided to go with the RLD designs for its higher specs, its three choices of standard colors and the availability of accessories that are more useful for overlanding. I also think it looks better on the Bison of which their USA website shows it on two different ones.

RLD Designs just released their 2nd version where the doors now have concealed hinges. I was told the USA won’t get it until early next year.

The better thing about RSI is free shipping to any of their resellers which Austin has a ton. One of which is the LineX company that has done a lot of work for me so I’ll ask them their opinions of they RSI and post back.
I don't have one of these caps but I work at an Overland shop and in my opinion I think they're overrated. Because it isn't one solid piece, it's held together with plastic tabs and the pre-cut holes for the tabs are very flimsy. We've had to replace various panels several times because by the time they get shipped to our shop they're bent to **** and can't be fixed. If I were going to buy a cap I'd go with an ARE Overlander or something similar. Just my 2 cents.
That is not the impression I have had with these caps. I've personally put 4 of these together for customer trucks and they are solid as can be. Yes the end panels do attach with plastic clasps, but they attach practically every 6", they use steel nuts and bolts, and the engineering is so tight for how the panels come together, the cap is seriously rugged. LIke you, we did have an issue with one roof panel that got damaged in shipping, but they immediately took care of it. I definitely intend to get one for my truck.
That is not the impression I have had with these caps. I've personally put 4 of these together for customer trucks and they are solid as can be. Yes the end panels do attach with plastic clasps, but they attach practically every 6", they use steel nuts and bolts, and the engineering is so tight for how the panels come together, the cap is seriously rugged. LIke you, we did have an issue with one roof panel that got damaged in shipping, but they immediately took care of it. I definitely intend to get one for my truck.
I agree once it's put together it seems very solid, they just aren't my cup of tea for how much they cost. To each their own though. I do think they are one of the best looking caps on the market. Alot more modern than the fiberglass ones.
My girlfriend's dad has what I think was the first Colorado one to arrive in US (or at least that's what they told him). It was a long wait to get here but he loves it. It's seriously durable and rugged. He puts a big popup tent up there. Here are a few of his pics. He liked my truck and just got his Colorado earlier this year to camp, SUP, and mountain bike out of with his wife. :D

See less See more
Reactions: 2
My girlfriend's dad has what I think was the first Colorado one to arrive in US (or at least that's what they told him). It was a long wait to get here but he loves it. It's seriously durable and rugged. He puts a big popup tent up there. Here are a few of his pics. He liked my truck and just got his Colorado earlier this year to camp, SUP, and mountain bike out of with his wife. :D

View attachment 400797
@BizzyB - what size is that Roofnest? Confirm he just mounts it to the cross bars and not a platform? Any issues with the overhang on the cab other than using a stubby antenna? I have a ZR2 Bison and a James Baroud Evasion XXL that I am deciding on how to mount using either a platform or crossbars. I like the platform for support for the tent, but the crossbars for ease of removal when not in use. Thoughts? Thanks
Following. Looking at picking up the RSI smart cap for my canyon 6’ bed
@BizzyB - what size is that Roofnest? Confirm he just mounts it to the cross bars and not a platform? Any issues with the overhang on the cab other than using a stubby antenna? I have a ZR2 Bison and a James Baroud Evasion XXL that I am deciding on how to mount using either a platform or crossbars. I like the platform for support for the tent, but the crossbars for ease of removal when not in use. Thoughts? Thanks
A platform will be a waste of money if all you plan to put on it is a roof top tent. All roof top tents (that I've seen) are designed to mounted to crossbars. The cross bars will also be less weight. Where the platforms come in is when you want the ability to put tires, boxes, ground tents, etc. on them. If your cap/canopy can handle the weight your rtt will be supported fine by cross bars. When I put the Alu-Cab tent on my Leitner rack I do add a third cross bar for better weight distribution, but that's because with the Alu-Cab RTT and the awning and load bars attached to it, I'm reaching the maximum off-road weight limits.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.