Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't locate my manual at the moment and did some searching. What is it? RH side of the plate...Thx

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Can't locate my manual at the moment and did some searching. What is it? RH side of the plate...Thx

I don’t have the manual handy either but I’m guessing it’s where you insert the rod to crank the spare tire up/down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dave66rivi

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
that's exactly what that is. its so you can raise or lower your spare tire. I had to re-seat my spare tire not to long ago, so that's how you get to the spare

Reactions: DieselDrax

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah it's for unwinding the cable that holds the spare. Since it sounds like you've probably never used one of these, I'd suggest getting out your tire-change kit and reviewing how it works, and even give a few test-turns to raise and lower the cable. They fit together a certain way that isn't completely obvious (even with the little diagram printed on the pouch), and it's not the kind of thing you want to figure out when you get a flat in the rain in the middle of the night in the emergency lane somewhere.

The Colorado has one of the flimsiest tire-changing kits I've ever seen. I was a little worried about bending the rod when I lowered my spare. It was especially disappointing given the move to higher lug-nut torque specs (I'm thinking in comparison to the more substantial hardware that came with my '07 Burb, which was the first time I'd used one of these crank mechanisms).

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
The first time I used one of the spare tire cranks was on my 1995 C1500. I broke a 10 cent clip on the crank, the parts guy at the dealer down in Gulfport where i had just moved handed me the clip and did not charge me. Seemed like they knew it was a weak point.

I like the spare out of the way 99.999% of the time, but when you need it, it can be a pain.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, I've had plenty of other trucks with the crank setup, but I've been very lucky -- only two stop-and-use-the-spare blowouts in 30 years' and 60 vehicles' worth of driving.

What was kind of annoying on the Colorado was my full-size spare wasn't heavy enough to drag the cable down with it. I had to turn it a few times, then crawl under there (lowered truck...) and tug on the tire, then back out for another few cranks, then more tugging, over and over. It wasn't that way on the Burb, but that was a much larger wheel and tire, too. The other thing I noticed about the Colorado's crank setup is that it seemed easy for the end of the rod to slip out of the little slot waaaay down in there. That was also not as well-built as the system on the Suburban. Could be a side-effect of the flimsier rod though, now that I'm thinking about it.

As usual, I blame CAFE. :D

Reactions: CO_Texan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info, thanks guys! Need to read up on it for sure!

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Yeah, I've had plenty of other trucks with the crank setup, but I've been very lucky -- only two stop-and-use-the-spare blowouts in 30 years' and 60 vehicles' worth of driving.

What was kind of annoying on the Colorado was my full-size spare wasn't heavy enough to drag the cable down with it. I had to turn it a few times, then crawl under there (lowered truck...) and tug on the tire, then back out for another few cranks, then more tugging, over and over. It wasn't that way on the Burb, but that was a much larger wheel and tire, too. The other thing I noticed about the Colorado's crank setup is that it seemed easy for the end of the rod to slip out of the little slot waaaay down in there. That was also not as well-built as the system on the Suburban. Could be a side-effect of the flimsier rod though, now that I'm thinking about it.

The tire doesn't weigh enough to lower under it's own weight? I understand that if you crank the cable back up without a tire till you get your flat repaired, it might be hard to lower, but I would have thought the tire was heavy enough.

I need to go play with my crank this weekend. I didn't want to dig out the tire changing tools cuz to me, the hardest part of changing a tire on the road is putting everything back up so it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The tire doesn't weigh enough to lower under it's own weight? I understand that if you crank the cable back up without a tire till you get your flat repaired, it might be hard to lower, but I would have thought the tire was heavy enough.

I need to go play with my crank this weekend. I didn't want to dig out the tire changing tools cuz to me, the hardest part of changing a tire on the road is putting everything back up so it doesn't rattle.

We all need to play with our crank this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

"Lubrication"

·
Registered
968 Posts
"Lubrication"
Yeah I wondered about that as well, but I didn't see anything that was readily accessible while I was under there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.