Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to if anyone else has this "problem".

My 'rado runs a bit rough and heavy when the ac or heat is on. I know they both rob of some horses, but to make the truck seem like it's hardly moving?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Clean your throttlebody and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rangerbob said:
Clean your throttlebody and see if it gets better.
I just got the truck on Friday the 8th (of this month), could it really be that bad already? It's not like I ride through dust or anything with the heat on..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Actually the heater doesn't use any HP, except the tiny bit of increased load on the alternator to supply current to the interior fan, which isn't significant.

The defroster is a different matter, because it engages the airconditioning compressor so it does add some load to the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick_crew said:
Actually the heater doesn't use any HP, except the tiny bit of increased load on the alternator to supply current to the interior fan, which isn't significant.

The defroster is a different matter, because it engages the airconditioning compressor so it does add some load to the engine.
Well I have it set so the heat blows on my feet and the windows, so they don't get fogged up.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well then is on defrost right if so then your a/c compresser would be on?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Having the AC on (thru the defrost in this case) shouldn't effect the engine/driveability THAT much.
Sure you can feel a little difference, but my truck drives fine with the AC on.

You may have some engine-control problem. The PCM is supposed to compensate for the load imposed by the AC, to maintain the correct idle, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick_crew said:
Having the AC on (thru the defrost in this case) shouldn't effect the engine/driveability THAT much.
Sure you can feel a little difference, but my truck drives fine with the AC on.

You may have some engine-control problem. The PCM is supposed to compensate for the load imposed by the AC, to maintain the correct idle, etc.
I'm not getting any beeps or blips though, and the engine isn't making any weird noise, it just runs heavy, feels like I'm towing another car behind me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts