Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting. They picture coil over shocks and not struts. What gives?

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Interesting. They picture coil over shocks and not struts. What gives?
Bad terminology on their part but for most people the terms are used interchangably.

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now I’m confused, is this a full coil over, ie spring and strut/shock or just a new strut shock assembly which needs are stock spring?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Look at post #5 theirs the link to there website. You get the new spring and strut is already in it just like the picture.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'll give yas a follow up on my alignment after my suspension guy installed them. Went to my GM dealership ( I know most employees well, I used to clean the place) There alignment guy has been with them for years. Has all the newer computer stuff with all the lights big name equipment etc. When I got truck back steering wheel had a slight tilt and pulled to the left. I've had to take vehicles in the past back repeatedly for him to get alignment right. I knew of a shop in another close town that is well known for being the best around and went there years ago. Didn't want to keep going through the stress back and forth with the GM one so went over there. It just amazes me as did in the past. Its like a hole in the wall. No waiting room, smallest tiny bathroom I've ever seen. Floor all dirty from them working. They have been in business father, son for many years. They do other suspension work also. I took a Dodge Dakota R/T newer over there that the dealership couldn't get alignment right. They have no fancy new computer stuff, just old school measuring etc. On that truck he was using plumb lines and measuring rods. I drove that truck 9 years and alignment was perfect and steering wheel perfectly straight. Any way when he got done doing his thing measuring and all drove my Colorado home 35 miles with a big smile. Alignment is dead on and steering wheel is now perfectly straight. Took him an hour total. I'm out $91.00 from the GM dealership but didn't say anything cause the owner has helped me get other things done in the past with a good discount. And finally the old school alignment shop charged me $20.00 less. So a shout out! If you live in southeast Kansas and need an alignment and want it right go to this little dirty hole in the wall shop Holland Alignment Pittsburg, Kansas

Reactions: F8LZ71

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Now I’m confused, is this a full coil over, ie spring and strut/shock or just a new strut shock assembly which needs are stock spring?
You get the shock and the spring fully assembled. It's not a strut. A strut is different than a shock.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Look at post #5 theirs the link to there website. You get the new spring and strut is already in it just like the picture.
Ok my terminology was not correct. Even though website says struts inside the coil spring its actually a shock inside the coil spring same as factory has a shock inside the coil spring. We don't have struts we have shocks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well the strut saga continues. I emailed Rough Country saying they should change there website to say shocks instead of struts and they emailed me back and said we have struts not shocks. So I don't know what the hell we have?

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Well the strut saga continues. I emailed Rough Country saying they should change there website to say shocks instead of struts and they emailed me back and said we have struts not shocks. So I don't know what the hell we have?
Most people define a strut as a suspenion system that includes a structure that takes the place of a conventional upper control arm and ball joint.

A strut is a major structural part of a suspension. It takes the place of the upper control arm and upper ball joint used in conventional suspensions

A coil system like ours muddies the water a bit because it does indeed hold up the weight of the vehicle like a strut does but it doesn't directly connect the wheel to the body nor does it do away with the upper control arms and ball joints.

A typical strut system looks like this.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
While they are used interchangeably, a shock can be removed by itself. When they integrated the spring perch onto the shock, that's what technically turns it into a strut, since it now became a structural suspension component that one piece couldn't be in place and function without the other.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Dam confusing thanks guys looks like it leans more as though we have struts. Thanks again

Reactions: RatRacer and F8LZ71

·
Registered
101 Posts
Struts and shocks aside how’s the ride for the two (I think) in here that have installed it? If you go with the rears as well this is comparable in cost to the Eibach kit however install would be much simpler just being able to swap the whole front assembly.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Gosh I'm gonna be a strut, shock expert before this is over and had no clue of difference before. OCXD if you look under the back of your truck (any way on 4x4's for sure which is what I have) you have leaf springs and true shock absorbers that can be taken off separately. On the front you have struts from what I've learned are connected inside of the springs and springs need to be suppressed to unbolt them to take them out (which makes them struts) Therefore you can't put them on the back because we don't have springs on the back (leaf springs on 4x4 any ways, don't know about non 4x4's). I'm sorry if I miss interpreted your question. As far as ride in mine it is just like OEM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed this earlier this week on my 2019 Colorado Z71 4x4. Installation was a piece of cake (about 2 hours by myself). The fit is good and the ride is smoother than stock. I love this. I added 275/70/17 Kumho AT tires and had the front end realigned. I am extremely satisfied. I plan to take it to the desert to play next weekend.

I originally installed the Rough Country 3.25" combo kit. The 1.25" body lift (pucks and bumper brackets) was fine. the 2" (cheap a$$) leveling kit was trash. it is a spacer on top of the strut and a second spacer which compresses the springs. After install the spring is TOO compressed and TOO stiff. Ride quality was terrible. if you get this kit I recommend to install the 1" spacer on top of the strut but not the one below the spring mount.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Just a thought,
If one installs the Roadmaster rear suspension kits, they usually add 1" to Rear.
That would nicely balance out the 2" in front.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
adding a picture
  • 2" strut leveling kit
  • 1.25" body lift
  • 275/70/17 Kumho AT51 tires
  • front air dam removed
  • Bakflip Toneau cover
I hope that's not a Bak Flip VP. Mine died month 14 of the 12 month warranty, due to Florida heat killing their rubber hinge adhesives. Distributer went to bat for me, and got the cover replaced though. Had the same problem with the Revolver X2, but their warranty fix was sending me a repair kit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I installed this earlier this week on my 2019 Colorado Z71 4x4. Installation was a piece of cake (about 2 hours by myself). The fit is good and the ride is smoother than stock. I love this. I added 275/70/17 Kumho AT tires and had the front end realigned. I am extremely satisfied. I plan to take it to the desert to play next weekend.

I originally installed the Rough Country 3.25" combo kit. The 1.25" body lift (pucks and bumper brackets) was fine. the 2" (cheap a$$) leveling kit was trash. it is a spacer on top of the strut and a second spacer which compresses the springs. After install the spring is TOO compressed and TOO stiff. Ride quality was terrible. if you get this kit I recommend to install the 1" spacer on top of the strut but not the one below the spring mount.
Tim, do you think you could run the 1" spacer on top without any issues binding etc? On RC's site it says the kit can't be used with the addition of spacers, etc. I like the design of the 2" all assembled kit and I think if you could run a 1" spacer on top and silverado 1" rear blocks it would make the perfect setup. Do you have any pics of your truck with the setup and the 275/70/17's?

21 - 40 of 105 Posts