Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info about the Rough Country strut leveling kit? Part #500077 I haven’t seen it before on their site until today. Looks like it’s a fully assembled strut set to 2 inches of lift. For $320 seems like it could be a pretty easy way to get a level without having to disassemble stock struts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but the ease of installing yourself without having to go out and rent a spring compressor and taking apart the strut might be worth it. And the positive against a top hat spacer is the bonus of an upgraded shock. Definitely seems like a good deal for someone like myself who was looking at Peak

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad i found this post. I have been looking for new shocks as I think my stock ones are going out. Like @Sifko36 said I'd rather not have to deal with swapping the springs back onto new shocks, and apparently the Bilstein 5100 RHA is discontinued now... So these might be the way I go. At low 300's for the fronts that's not bad at all.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ordered them for my 2019 Colorado crew cab to level out the truck. UPS dropped them off a couple hours ago. Goes in the shop Monday morning to the guy that does great suspension work and then Tuesday morning out to my GM dealership for an alignment. The guy that does the good suspension work said most Rough Country lifts are junk but that this just being a leveling kit (springs and struts) looks good and possibly they have it made by some one else and put there name on it. I was out at GM dealership the other day and mentioned I'd ordered it to the parts guy. He said the same thing except showed me his full size truck that he put those on and said I will be happy. That they work good and you still have a ride like OEM. We'll see!! Just edited this. Don't know if this is good or bad but looking them over I see stamped in the metal on the lower part of the struts "made in China" So pretty obvious they don't make the struts unless they have a plant in China. But gonna assume by quality assurance they are well made. I do know this set carries a 3 year warranty against defect. Thats all you would get on OEM GM struts when you buy truck new.

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know if this is good or bad but looking them over I see stamped in the metal on the lower part of the struts "made in China" So pretty obvious they don't make the struts unless they have a plant in China. But gonna assume by quality assurance they are well made. I do know this set carries a 3 year warranty against defect. Thats all you would get on OEM GM struts when you buy truck new.
For the price point made in China doesn’t surprise me. But it seems that the N3 series struts and shocks get pretty good reviews. I’m excited to hear what you think about them once you get them installed and aligned.

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts
Are these just ultra basic foam shocks like the kind you get with budget lift kits like ProComp?

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok my suspension guy had it done in a couple hours and said all went fine and they appear to be quality and as thick of springs as before and heavy struts ( like he said just his opinion) Truck now sets perfectly level, I even measured all four fender wells from the ground and they are exactly the same. Ride didn't seem any different then before. Since he got it done so quick I went ahead and went to GM and got the alignment.Told them to make sure steering wheel straight. Has very slight tilt to right on highway but that's the way it was before. Not enough to bother and was that way when first got truck and I've read posts saying there will be a slight tilt. Alignment is good and truck looks so much better even instead of back higher. I don't drive a lot (took me a year to get 3,000 miles) so probably won't get enough mileage to give yas any feed back on how they're holding up. Like I said they have a 3 year warranty if a failure of any kind. I don't have means to post a picture. But sure happy so far with the leveling kit. I did readjust my headlights. I have a carport thats enclosed in the front. Before changing the struts I measured a distance back after dark and put painters tape on the carport wall where top of headlight aim was on dims. And put a black dot on each adjustment screw for reference. After install parked truck same distance back and ended up turning the adjustment screws 1 1/2 turns down to get the headlight beam at the same spot as before.

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts
Thanks for the post, please keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ran across this thread. Changed my order from the 2" spacer to the strut kit after reading about it here. Will have installed next week. The shop said labor will be about the same but seems it should be done much quicker. I'm no mechanic so what do you all think? I'll keep the thread posted on the ride and handling as I drive about 55 miles a day.

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did readjust my headlights. I have a carport thats enclosed in the front. Before changing the struts I measured a distance back after dark and put painters tape on the carport wall where top of headlight aim was on dims. And put a black dot on each adjustment screw for reference. After install parked truck same distance back and ended up turning the adjustment screws 1 1/2 turns down to get the headlight beam at the same spot as before.
Just a not that your headlights are likely aimed too low. you new point of aim should be approximately as much above your tape as the height of the lift to the front of the truck.
hope you are still loving your level.

Garett

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just a not that your headlights are likely aimed too low. you new point of aim should be approximately as much above your tape as the height of the lift to the front of the truck.
hope you are still loving your level.

Garett
Garett thats why I adjusted the headlight screws clockwise down after kit install that lowers the headlight beam. Actually I drove it last night and lowered the headlights turning the screws down another half a turn. So actually ended up turning the screws down two full turns. Level kit is good, no problems and truck drives well out on highway and in town. And looks so much better level.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts