Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CCSB Z71 Midnight Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're looking for a low key spot for an LED light bar switch, look no further. I installed the Rough Country Round LED Backlit Rocker Switch (3 terminals / Part #709RRC) for my Rough Country Light Bar.... under the steering column. No drilling necessary in my 2021 Colorado. No interference, etc.

Wired it up from the RC wiring harness: Black to the top Brass terminal, White to the middle silver terminal and Blue to the bottom silver terminal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where/how did you run the wires from the switch to the light bar?
The Rough Country Light bar pigtails into their included wiring harness with relay. I mounted it between the battery and the windshield washer fluid reservoir and ran the wiring up with the hood release cord, across the fire wall, behind the brake fluid master cylinder and through the self healing boot that all the main wires come through. That puts its almost in line with the steering column and just fish it up the column. The harness itself is long enough that you don't need to have multiple splices.

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Duramax Diesel
5 Posts
Did you have to cut into the self healing boot in order to have space for the new wiring? Do you have any pics of the the wire run through the boot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can take some, I'm sure, later. I used a coat hanger like a fish tape and poked through from the engine compartment into the cab and then went into the cab and pulled it through.

I cut the white 3 wire plastic connector off about 2 inchlowes from the end of the wiring harness because I planned to not use the janky button that came with it. But that made it the smallest package possible.

It requires a good mechanical joint between the wires and the coat hanger, wrapped in electrical tape, as well as a solid, steady pull to have it "birthed" into the cab. The boot expanded to allow the larger connection through and then shrunk back down so I don't have a super large hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts