Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at doing alift on my colorado, but i dont want to go extreme with the 6" lift and was curious if the 4" was worth it or a good product. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed the 4" lift last weekend and I like it so far. It's going to the alignment shop today and for larger tires on Tuesday. Call me crazy, but I like the stock 18" rims on the SLE, so I'm running 1.5" BORA spacers to make the wheel/tire combo work.

The kit is only 4", but it somehow feels and looks taller. The kit is well made and the instructions are pretty good, with a couple exceptions. If you're installing it yourself, I suggest that you inventory all your parts before your start as Rough Country forgot the rear blocks in their initial shipment and the drop spindles were damaged. It took an additional week to ship from Tennessee out to the west coast and I would have been screwed if I discovered after I had the truck apart.

Upon installation, I found a couple things that aren't included in the manual.

- The mounting holes for the skid plates didn't fit cleanly (welding or powder coating gummed up the threads). I had to clean up the thread with a 3/8 tap for them to mount properly.
- The mounts for the lower control arms were too narrow. Have to use a hefty 5/8 bolt, nuts and a couple washers to spread open the mounts enough for the lower control arms to fit.
- The kit includes both front and rear relocation brackets for the brake and wheel sensors, but it doesn't indicate that you need to remove wheel sensor wires from their clips on the frame. There isn't enough slack to comfortably stretch the wires to the new location.
- The manual doesn't include the step to reinstall the cross members. The cross members are also offset and there is no instruction to state which way to put in the cross member. You can figure out but it would be nice if that step was included.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just installed the 4" lift last weekend and I like it so far. It's going to the alignment shop today and for larger tires on Tuesday. Call me crazy, but I like the stock 18" rims on the SLE, so I'm running 1.5" BORA spacers to make the wheel/tire combo work.

The kit is only 4", but it somehow feels and looks taller. The kit is well made and the instructions are pretty good, with a couple exceptions. If you're installing it yourself, I suggest that you inventory all your parts before your start as Rough Country forgot the rear blocks in their initial shipment and the drop spindles were damaged. It took an additional week to ship from Tennessee out to the west coast and I would have been screwed if I discovered after I had the truck apart.

Upon installation, I found a couple things that aren't included in the manual.

- The mounting holes for the skid plates didn't fit cleanly (welding or powder coating gummed up the threads). I had to clean up the thread with a 3/8 tap for them to mount properly.
- The mounts for the lower control arms were too narrow. Have to use a hefty 5/8 bolt, nuts and a couple washers to spread open the mounts enough for the lower control arms to fit.
- The kit includes both front and rear relocation brackets for the brake and wheel sensors, but it doesn't indicate that you need to remove wheel sensor wires from their clips on the frame. There isn't enough slack to comfortably stretch the wires to the new location.
- The manual doesn't include the step to reinstall the cross members. The cross members are also offset and there is no instruction to state which way to put in the cross member. You can figure out but it would be nice if that step was included.

Holy Crap finally somebody installed the 4" lift! There have been alot of guys looking for pics of this lift installed for awhile. Looks good and post up some pics after the tires and spacers are installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
^^ I second the excitement for someone actually installing the 4"!! Even rough country themselves has no images of a 4" installed on the twins. I look forward to seeing the truck with tires and spacers. What size tire are you going with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 1.5" BORA spacers are already installed in the picture. The picture includes the stock SLT rims and tires, 265/60R18. I'm going with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 in the largest size that Rough Country recommends, 275/65R18. I'll post pictures once they're installed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 1.5" BORA spacers are already installed in the picture. The picture includes the stock SLT rims and tires, 265/60R18. I'm going with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 in the largest size that Rough Country recommends, 275/65R18. I'll post pictures once they're installed.
Any updated pics yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry, it's taken me a little while to get the pictures posted. After the tires were mounted, the front tires were rubbing a little on the air dam and on the front of the wheel well. I removed the air dam and had to figure out how to create a little clearance in the front of the tire.

I made a video of the air dam removal because the Youtube video showing that you need to remove the entire front fascia to remove the air dam annoys me. It only takes about 30 minutes to remove the air dam and you can do it from under the car with a torx t15 bit and 10mm socket in a 1/4 ratchet. I still haven't edited the video together, but I will post it in this section when completed

The other cool discovery was that I was able to pull the front of the inner wheel well forward by about one inch using the stock parts. I found it to be an elegant solution that costs me about $1 in parts and 15 minutes of my time to complete. It's stronger than stock and the change is reversible if I ever wanted to put it back to stock. Again, I took some video of the solution that I'll post when I have a spare moment.

Attached are pre/post measurements from stock to lifted with stock tires to lifted with larger tires. The measurements are slightly different on each tire, but some of that could be my own measurement inconsistency.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The 4" kit looks great. I like it better than the taller kits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This right here is the perfect setup, I will be going with the 4in kit for sure now. Thanks for going through this for the rest of us!

BTW the stock wheels look great with those tires. I was debating new wheels but this is making me think I can save some money and stay with the original wheels for a while

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry, it's taken me a little while to get the pictures posted. After the tires were mounted, the front tires were rubbing a little on the air dam and on the front of the wheel well. I removed the air dam and had to figure out how to create a little clearance in the front of the tire.

I made a video of the air dam removal because the Youtube video showing that you need to remove the entire front fascia to remove the air dam annoys me. It only takes about 30 minutes to remove the air dam and you can do it from under the car with a torx t15 bit and 10mm socket in a 1/4 ratchet. I still haven't edited the video together, but I will post it in this section when completed

The other cool discovery was that I was able to pull the front of the inner wheel well forward by about one inch using the stock parts. I found it to be an elegant solution that costs me about $1 in parts and 15 minutes of my time to complete. It's stronger than stock and the change is reversible if I ever wanted to put it back to stock. Again, I took some video of the solution that I'll post when I have a spare moment.

Attached are pre/post measurements from stock to lifted with stock tires to lifted with larger tires. The measurements are slightly different on each tire, but some of that could be my own measurement inconsistency.

Truck looks great! I am also really interested in how you moved the inner wheel well forward with the stock parts.

Reactions: BlackPearl

·
Registered
1 Posts
Truck looks amazing! I have been wanting the same lift but cant shell out the money for a new wheel and tire package as well especially since I just bought a set of Nitto's. Is there any way that the stock 17'' z71 wheel would work with this lift?

·
Registered
244 Posts

Shoot me a link to that video on the air dam removal, I was about to devote a whole Saturday to getting mine taken off lol!

·
Registered
14 Posts
help with question please

Truck looks amazing! I have been wanting the same lift but cant shell out the money for a new wheel and tire package as well especially since I just bought a set of Nitto's. Is there any way that the stock 17'' z71 wheel would work with this lift?
Can anyone answer why the RC website states that stock wheels will "NOT" work and if there is a fix for this. I love my stock 17" wheels for this or a 5" lift with 285's. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can anyone answer why the RC website states that stock wheels will "NOT" work and if there is a fix for this. I love my stock 17" wheels for this or a 5" lift with 285's. Thanks guys.
The wheels will hit the aftermarket knucles, you can run a wheel spacer to push your wheel out to meet the minimum backspace specs.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts