Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install a roof rack on top of my canyon cab. Quite a few times now, I have wanted one for my canoe to rest on, my luggage bag and miscellaneous things in general. My struggle has been concern about the few options there are for our truck. I am hoping some of you with experience can help me make a decision.

Rhino Rack Ditch Mount:
Pros:
Rigid mounting to the roof
Cross bars are removable
Should be quieter when removed
220 lb capacity which seems reasonable

Cons:
Possibility for rust around attachment points
Leaking potential
Do you have to remove the headliner to drill?
No ability to move the bars forwards or backwards

Yakima/Rhino Rack Clamp on style:
Pros:
No drilling

Cons:
Difficult to reinstall after removal because of the position (I was told)
Very specific location they have to be mounted
165 lb capacity which could be an issue if I ever get a roof top tent
Noisier because of sitting in the weather strip?
Damage to weather stripping?

Feedback from anyone with experience with either of these racks is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
To add to your list there is Thule tracks that can be permanently be mounted as well. They don't require removing the headliner and the kit comes with nuts that mount permanently into the roof skin.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
take a look at what ClaysandBirds did:

Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon > 2nd Generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon > 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon Builds > Bird Hunting Truck Build

Just remember that when off-road, most roof rack manufacturers recommend dividing by 2 for loading so the Vortex ditch mount system drops to 110lbs if bouncing around on trails. Most RTTs are around 150lb but this has not stopped a lot of people loading up on top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.