Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up some LED lights in the ricer-isle at walmart to illuminate the license plate on my rollpan. It was working OK for a while but I think all the snow lately has killed them since they are intended for inside use. Does anyone have any suggestions to what else can be used? If at all possible can you post a link? I have been through the Summit catalog like 5X and cant find anything discreet. They only have the big lights that you would use on like a regular bumper.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
LEDs would not be affected by weather in general.
The LED itself is very well sealed.
The only problem with weather would be if moisture corrodes your connections.
I put LEDs into a small lamp for my license-plate holder on a Sir Michael's rollpan. I used clear silicone RTV sealant to encapsulate the whole thing.

LEDs are super reliable, but they are killed by excessive heat, excessive voltage, or reverse voltage. The manufacturer gives specifications for the maximum ratings. If you stay within the ratings they may live longer than you, assuming that they are quality LEDs of course.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick_crew said:
LEDs would not be affected by weather in general.
The LED itself is very well sealed.
The only problem with weather would be if it moisture corrodes your connections.
I put LEDs into a small lamp for my license-plate holder on a Sir Michael's rollpan. I used clear silicone RTV sealant to encapsulate the whole thing.

LEDs are super reliable, but they are killed by excessive heat, excessive voltage, or reverse voltage. The manufacturer gives specifications for the maximum ratings. If you stay within the ratings they may live longer than you, assuming that they are quality LEDs of course.
Im sure the LED's themselves are fine - but they are soldered on a micro circuit board with a chip to regulate the voltage. Im sure its either of those that are giving the issue. (board corroded / chip damaged) The units are not weather-sealed since they are not designed for exterior use.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
parkerb said:
I have led's in my roll pan and havent had any problems. I installed them just over a year ago and none of them have gone out yet.
[siteimg]22536[/siteimg]
Thats pretty cool... I just ordered the ones switzxx20 pointed out:

$30cdn shipped.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
switzxx20 said:
No problem bro! Rudy (rrcn) has them and they definitely do the job nicely 8)
good stuff. The ones I have now - even when they were new wouldn't completely light the plate. Basically all you could read was the first & last 2 digits on the plate. LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts