Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Installing these this weekend! Love the material and look, mounting seems easy enough. What didn't you like about it? Are you worried about them getting knocked off?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd probably have a set of these if they made them for the Bisons... As is, I am just going to have to deal with schmutzy door handles until the weather warms up enough and long enough for me to make some...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I put some loctite on the rear mounting bolts since the only thing keeping tension on the bolts is the actual flap material. All the flaps are held by only two attachment points to the truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put some loctite on the rear mounting bolts since the only thing keeping tension on the bolts is the actual flap material. All the flaps are held by only two attachment points to the truck.
You're talking about the nylon insert thing, right? I thought that was a weird way to do it but I haven't done it yet so I hadn't really worried about it yet.

Edit: Just realized that I think yours are the ZR2 flaps, while I've got the generic Colorado ones. I think they mount differently so we might not have the same attachment points.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
97 Posts
I'm thinking about a set of these for my truck as well, but I recently purchased P265/70R/17 sized tires (slightly larger than the stock tires that came with the truck). As you can see from the pic below, the front tires are a rather tight fit. Do you all think there will be an issue with rubbing if I go with the Rokblokz mud flaps?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you look at the photos of the mounting brackets on their website, you'll see that the fronts actually mount a bit outside and behind the inside of the wheel well. You're adding the thickness of the stainless steel of the bracket to the back of the wheel well. If any mud flaps are going to have minimal impact, the Rockblokz are them. They don't add nothing, but they add about as little as you can to get the job done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
...If you look at the photos of the mounting brackets on their website, you'll see that the fronts actually mount a bit outside and behind the inside of the wheel well....
Yes, I agree, I've been shopping around for the "thinnest" flaps available to get the job done as you say. Rokblokz has 2 different styles for the Colorado from what I can gather. One style for WT, LT, and Z71 models, and a different one for the ZR2 model. I suppose I could always sell the flaps here on the forum if they don't work for me. My truck also has the smaller fender flare trim, and the Rokblokz description states: "These will not fit with fender flares." However, I believe they may be referring to the much wider fender flares used with over-sized tires. Not sure. It would be nice to see more pictures of the clearance distance between the flaps and the front tires for all the Colorado models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Post a few pictures of your finished install if you can. I'm interested in seeing the clearance distance of the front tires in particular. Thanks!
Sure thing! Just wrapped it up. Install was super easy, at least for the Z71. I'm not concerned about the mounting quality per se, but it did seem a little odd. My biggest complaint is that the screw for the plastic clips that attach to your fender stick through and dig into the felt liner. On the one hand I think it might actually make it more stable, on the other hand you gouge the felt when trying to manipulate it into place. Overall not a huge deal.

As for spacing, the front ones are pretty much flush with the liner, just the thickness of the flap itself and the extra washer under the OEM bolt, so somewhere less than half an inch at the worst spot? Probably not even that much, but I've misplaced all my tape measures sorry. The rear ones protrude quite a bit more do to the spacer on the innermost bolt. Hope these pics help, front tires were just a little turned out, not quite straight.

Front:

And rear:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shoot just remembered you have flares, they really wouldn't work well because the back side of those RockBlokz brand washers are plastic clips that grip the fender, I don't think there would be space for the flare :( I don't know the exact geometry of the flares since I don't have them but these fit pretty tight so I can't imagine them working.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shoot just remembered you have flares, they really wouldn't work well because the back side of those RockBlokz brand washers are plastic clips that grip the fender, I don't think there would be space for the flare :( I don't know the exact geometry of the flares since I don't have them but these fit pretty tight so I can't imagine them working.
Aww..bummer. I was only able to view 1 picture you uploaded. The rear fender well install picture. Can you try uploading the pictures again? I'm wondering if longer screws would work for install with my fender flares? Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts