Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Right front brakeline issue

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
Changed the front brakes on my 2016 Colorado. Made the mistake of pulling the calipers apart instead of removing them. Did one side at a time, but they were both off for a while and the MC fully drained. While bleeding the front brakes, the driver side bleeds fine, but the passenger side only dribbles out (no pressure behind it), so I don't have a good brake pedal. I switched the bleeder valves from one side to the other to see if they were clogged, and the driver side still bled well, but the passenger side didn't. I haven't tried bleeding the rears as I didn't do anything with them. I also notice that the front driver side and both rear wheels cannot be spun by hand when the truck's in the air and the brake pedal's pushed down. The front passenger side front tire can be spun with the brake pedal pushed down.

Was thinking of bleeding the MC, but don't know how, or replacing the passenger side caliper. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Taking the calipers apart isn't the end of the world as long as you got them back together with any and all o-ring seals in their correct places. Beyond that, I generally use a pressure bleeder to pressurize the master cylinder fluid tank. Then it's a one person deal to crack the brake bleeders. Also, if you got air in the abs module, you are going to need a scan tool that has the ability to activate the abs brake bleed process.

#4 ·
You didn't even have to remove the calipers to replace the pads. What in the world...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
come on guys, he said he made a mistake by pulling the calibers apart?
Now he is asking how to remedy his mistake

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#7 ·
come on guys, he said he made a mistake by pulling the calibers apart?
Now he is asking how to remedy his mistake
I feel for the guy, on the flip side they're a new user with 1 post. Not sure what kind of a troll would do that, but my suggestion to him is to let a shop fix his problem. I don't know what would possess someone to disassemble the calipers to replace the pads with the fixed calipers like we have. It doesn't get any easier than these and a short YouTube video on the process would've shown that. I'm still not sure what they were thinking, but if they want it fixed right then let a shop do it. Sounds like the ABS unit lost prime and now has air in the lines, may need a proper scan tool to trigger the ABS pump to cycle and prime/bleed itself.

It's like someone disassembling their furnace to replace the filter. Makes no sense, but whatever.

Reactions: Hunter62
#6 ·
Many have made that mistake, not the last time it will happen, if you do not study the bolts before wrenching.

Reactions: gherbert
#13 ·
I have read several instances of that crazy mistake, even on other forums. Really makes for a big headache instead of an easy job.

#14 ·
Changed the front brakes on my 2016 Colorado. Made the mistake of pulling the calipers apart instead of removing them. Did one side at a time, but they were both off for a while and the MC fully drained. While bleeding the front brakes, the driver side bleeds fine, but the passenger side only dribbles out (no pressure behind it), so I don't have a good brake pedal. I switched the bleeder valves from one side to the other to see if they were clogged, and the driver side still bled well, but the passenger side didn't. I haven't tried bleeding the rears as I didn't do anything with them. I also notice that the front driver side and both rear wheels cannot be spun by hand when the truck's in the air and the brake pedal's pushed down. The front passenger side front tire can be spun with the brake pedal pushed down.

Was thinking of bleeding the MC, but don't know how, or replacing the passenger side caliper. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help
Do bleed the MC, after it's been sitting empty for a while, you need to do that.

But that's not your problem. Bleeding a system with anti-lock brakes is a whole different procedure than the old days. You can't just pump and release. Do a web search and you'll see what I mean.

Also, on some systems, if you put the calipers on the wrong side, they will never bleed. Many Ford's are like that. But I don't remember if your truck is like that or not. You'll have to look.

#16 ·
Do bleed the MC, after it's been sitting empty for a while, you need to do that.

But that's not your problem. Bleeding a system with anti-lock brakes is a whole different procedure than the old days. You can't just pump and release. Do a web search and you'll see what I mean.

Also, on some systems, if you put the calipers on the wrong side, they will never bleed. Many Ford's are like that. But I don't remember if your truck is like that or not. You'll have to look.
Thanks for the response. I bled the MC and it seems to be the answer.

#24 ·
Just does not look good to belittle a new member. Kind of leaves a bad impression on him and the forum. Not very welcoming.

#27 ·
No spark plugs on a diesel, it has glow plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.