Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
"rust on the rims" aren't they cast aluminum on all but the WT? I smell another taco troll. Maybe he is mad the Army just bought over 2,000 Duramax ZR2's lol...stupid Carplay!
The Army also bought HMMWV's with that garbage NA GM Diesel that was made out of a converted gas motor the 6.5l They bought millions of them POS's.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
His initial complaint was the transmission and shifting characteristics. That should have been evident in a test drive. I would guess that after a week of driving a manual transmission in city traffic, it became obvious that it is a pain to drive a manual. Which is of course half the reason few of the manufacturers sell many manual transmissions except in performance cars.
I disagree with your opinion of manual transmissions and have never found them difficult to drive under any conditions. And I'd much rather have a manual in the snow. My wife isn't confident with manual transmissions, so my past few vehicles have been manuals just in case she needed to drive my vehicle, and obviously I had no choice with the Duramax. I'd love to have another manual again (in addition to my 89 Ranger). Automatics are boring.

But yes it is odd that the issue wasn't discovered during a test drive. Seemingly the transmission would shift better as it was broken in. The only thing I can think is that taking it easy on a new engine would hide the spread on the shift points, but you'd think it would be the opposite and expose them.

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
614 Posts
The Army also bought HMMWV's with that garbage NA GM Diesel that was made out of a converted gas motor the 6.5l They bought millions of them POS's.
lol you must be thinking of the 5.7L diesel "converted gas motor"...which wasn't the motor in those trucks
if the 6.2L/6.5L Detroit Diesel was garbage, why are we still buying them? it's in everything from generators to CUCV's and HMMWV's

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
lol you must be thinking of the 5.7L diesel "converted gas motor"...which wasn't the motor in those trucks
if the 6.2L/6.5L Detroit Diesel was garbage, why are we still buying them? it's in everything from generators to CUCV's and HMMWV's
The Olds 5.7 diesel was never a gas engine nor was it based on one, that’s a common misconception that I assume is based on it sharing the same displacement and some design elements from the 5.7 gas, but the Olds 5.7 was a diesel from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
614 Posts
The Olds 5.7 diesel was never a gas engine nor was it based on one, that’s a common misconception that I assume is based on it sharing the same displacement and some design elements from the 5.7 gas, but the Olds 5.7 was a diesel from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
which is why I used quotes, the LF9 shared a lot of design features and parts with the 350, but it wasn't a "converted gas motor"...nor was it used in hummers lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's not correct. The 6.5 was an updated version of the 6.2, which were from GM's Detroit Diesel and first used in the C/K trucks in the early 80s and continued into the early 2000s as they transitioned to the Duramax line. It's a fairly well regarded engine from a durability standpoint, but lacking in power compared to a similar year Powerstroke or Cummins. You might be thinking of the Old's 350 diesel that had its share of issues.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I disagree with your opinion of manual transmissions and have never found them difficult to drive under any conditions. And I'd much rather have a manual in the snow. My wife isn't confident with manual transmissions, so my past few vehicles have been manuals just in case she needed to drive my vehicle, and obviously I had no choice with the Duramax. I'd love to have another manual again (in addition to my 89 Ranger). Automatics are boring.

But yes it is odd that the issue wasn't discovered during a test drive. Seemingly the transmission would shift better as it was broken in. The only thing I can think is that taking it easy on a new engine would hide the spread on the shift points, but you'd think it would be the opposite and expose them.
And I shall (respectively) disagree with you - driving a manual in stop & go traffic is a pain. How is a guy supposed to drink his Starbucks while posting to Facebook, texting his girlfriend, and smoking his cigarette between bites of muffin he picked up at Starbucks, and still deal with that stick between the seats?

- I hope I don't get censored for using non-gender neutral terms like guy & girlfriend.

I am not sure what the 6-speed manual on these trucks is like. All I know is that the 6 speed manual in my daughter's Wrangler was the hardest manual I have ever driven. That includes the "three-on-the-tree" I learned on, the flatbed with the button on the floor for the starter, and the 8-ton, 8 speed forklift, to mention a few. If the manual in the Twins is as bad as that Wrangler seemed to me, then I would bring it back to the dealer as well.

At this point, and with DFW traffic my norm, I like a boring automatic. Besides, if I had a manual, my daughter and I would be the only two who could drive it. Of course, my Canyon will have 101K miles on it by the end of the week I think, and I have put at least 100K of those miles on it. My wife maybe a couple of hundred, mostly when she needed it to haul some stuff for work, and the various guys who have changed the oil and inspected it over the years.

Sometimes I think people purchase vehicles without doing any real research, with ridiculous expectations, or no idea that a truck is designed for a specific set of tasks and is not going to behave like a car. By the time I ordered my truck, I had sat in a dozen, test drove 4-5, and had researched the options I needed/wanted against the budget I was willing to spend.

Sadly, when I look at my needs versus what is on the market today, my truck still fits my needs and lifestyle better than anything new that has come out since. And in the words of the Beach Boys, "I got the pink slip, Daddy."

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
And I shall (respectively) disagree with you - driving a manual in stop & go traffic is a pain. How is a guy supposed to drink his Starbucks while posting to Facebook, texting his girlfriend, and smoking his cigarette between bites of muffin he picked up at Starbucks, and still deal with that stick between the seats?
Well I must admit I've found it impossible to drive a manual transmission vehicle and brush my teeth. :giggle:

I am not sure what the 6-speed manual on these trucks is like. All I know is that the 6 speed manual in my daughter's Wrangler was the hardest manual I have ever driven. That includes the "three-on-the-tree" I learned on, the flatbed with the button on the floor for the starter, and the 8-ton, 8 speed forklift, to mention a few. If the manual in the Twins is as bad as that Wrangler seemed to me, then I would bring it back to the dealer as well.
I don't know either. I know the 80s Rangers and Bronco IIs had some of the most difficult clutches to operate smoothly. And the worst shift lever was on my Honda 600 car (pre-Civic) where the transmission was not under the shift lever, so the linkage went forward to the engine compartment. Even people used to manuals could have issues with it, but that's what I learned on (for cars--I'd driven motorcycles for years).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, I’m returning my Colorado after a week of ownership. It’s a shame as the power train feels solid. The ancillaries though are garbage. Car play already glitches out. Rust on rims. Rust on interior seat hinge. A thin frame. The gurgle noise is unacceptable. Chevy has known about it for years. Long story short, I have lost faith in it being a reliable vehicle. If the cooling system can’t even be designed properly, what else is wrong with it. Oh well. Toyota will get my money instead. American manufacturers are a joke. I always swore I would only own American, but I’ve had nothing but problems in the 10 years I’ve owned American vehicles. Luckily I can fix things, but I’m not taking a car to a dealership for all the goofy electronics.
Know how you feel.....

Returned a Toyota Tacoma because:

1. Frame rusted
2. Transmission shifting issues at high mileage
3. Loud slapping noise from engine
4. Rough idle and backfiring engine
5. Lower ball joint issues
6. Amber turn signal melted housing
7. lack of front seat controls
8. Horrible interior

The number one reason is because you have to be a midget to get in and out of the cab .

Other than issues above, Tacoma is a great truck.

Na, never bought a Taco.......always drive Chevy trucks........Would drive a Ford before I drove a Kung fu truck.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts