Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m returning my Colorado after a week of ownership. It’s a shame as the power train feels solid. The ancillaries though are garbage. Car play already glitches out. Rust on rims. Rust on interior seat hinge. A thin frame. The gurgle noise is unacceptable. Chevy has known about it for years. Long story short, I have lost faith in it being a reliable vehicle. If the cooling system can’t even be designed properly, what else is wrong with it. Oh well. Toyota will get my money instead. American manufacturers are a joke. I always swore I would only own American, but I’ve had nothing but problems in the 10 years I’ve owned American vehicles. Luckily I can fix things, but I’m not taking a car to a dealership for all the goofy electronics.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I didn't respond to your gurgle thread (few did), but the other potential cause for that noise is merely the AC first turning on. I wouldn't describe it as gurgling, more "water rushing," but it is quite noticeable.

As to Car Play, that could just as well be your phone. Devices connecting to vehicles tends to be problematic in general, not just specific to GM. I use Android Auto instead and have found the GM implementation better than the Subaru implementation (both 2019).

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
Sounds like it was not the truck for you. Go find yourself a Taco for the price you paid for a stripped demo Colorado and you will be happy I am sure.

I am not sure about the "new demo" you described the truck as. I have never seen a dealer buy stripped demo trucks with a manual transmission, at least not in the last 25 years. Most demos were loaded with a least a few extras to help the dealer sell loaded vehicles. In any event, it does not sound like this was the right truck for you. I do wonder what the truck was used for in a prior life.

Reactions: GM4ever

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it was not the truck for you. Go find yourself a Taco for the price you paid for a stripped demo Colorado and you will be happy I am sure.

I am not sure about the "new demo" you described the truck as. I have never seen a dealer buy stripped demo trucks with a manual transmission, at least not in the last 25 years. Most demos were loaded with a least a few extras to help the dealer sell loaded vehicles. In any event, it does not sound like this was the right truck for you. I do wonder what the truck was used for in a prior life.
Had 200 miles on the odometer when I got it.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
506 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Tundra and will tell you that my 2010 Colorado has features my new truck doesn’t. The Toyota quality appears to be good but there is truth that the Colorado has more to offer.

I kept my Colorado but needed a 1/2 ton 4 door with a long bed. Toyota Tundra fit the bill but it’s definitely dated in terms of features.

Good luck with your Toyota. I sure like my new Tundra.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I’m returning my Colorado after a week of ownership.
Well you beat me, the shortest I ever owned a new truck was 7 months.

BTW, it was a Tacoma that had 5 trips to the dealership, 3 of which were pretty major. It was my second Tacoma. The first one I only kept for barely 2 years as I was a frequent visitor to service (actually became friends with the Service Manager). The two trucks were 12 models years apart and one of the problems existed in both trucks. I actually drove a new Tacoma when shopping last time. However, once I drove my Colorado there was no way I was buying a Taco.

I'd buy a Nissan Frontier before I would buy a Tacoma.

I wish you better luck.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
1. Try a different usb cable. My truck was picky with cables.

2. Coolant. There's a TSB for that. Park on a hill , heat up, and add coolant.

If not, hopefully the tacoma serves you well.
Welcome to the coloradofans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
717 Posts

If not, hopefully the tacoma serves you well.
Welcome to the coloradofans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I had to coolant reservoir replaced and it fixed my rushing water noise.

My android auto didn't work at first because I wasn't using the required data cable, works perfect ever since I swapped the cable to the right one.

Every manufacturer will have flaws. Sometimes I wish I got a tacoma due to increase clearance, less stuff hanging down, and more down travel on the suspension. But I enjoy my Colorado just fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
236 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Also, Car Play bugging out is an Apple problem, not GM, most of the time. When Car Play crashes it actually crashes on my phone, not the radio, and then the it comes back up once iOS restarts the process. Can't blame GM for this one in my case.

That order is wrong, if you do it in that order then you will make a mess and risk burning yourself with hot coolant. Always only add coolant when the coolant is cold/cool, never when hot. The steps for parking on an uphill incline and idling are also unnecessary and are only there for GM techs to help speed up the bleeding process so they can return the vehicle to the customer sooner. There's actually no reason to do this when fixing this by adding more coolant as the system will bleed itself when driving normally, just fill the surge tank about 1/4" above the seam/full mark on the tank and ensure the level doesn't drop down to the seam once the system has no more air in it, this will prevent the sound from coming back. The issue is the design of the internal chambers of the tank and a full mark that isn't full enough, when the coolant level is just slightly below full the suck from the initial startup can cause a sudden drop in level and air gets sucked into the cooling system from the surge tank. Doesn't happen after the engine has warmed up because the coolant level is higher due to thermal expansion, only happens again once the coolant has had time to cool and contract. This is why filling it slightly above the full mark fixes the problem.

@WhiteLightningII Some of your complaints are just you finding reasons to justify you wanting to get rid of the truck so soon and really aren't legitimate problems. Similarly, the truck has done nothing to indicate that it can't be trusted or isn't reliable, it's just you finding excuses because you don't like the truck. Which is fine, it's your money (and your loss when you get rid of it so soon with all that money lost on depreciation), but your reasons are simply excuses and not reasons, especially when you're not even willing to give GM a chance to address your concerns under warranty. You've already made up your mind and as such you will never be happy with the truck even if all of your concerns were addressed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Well, I’m returning my Colorado after a week of ownership. It’s a shame as the power train feels solid. The ancillaries though are garbage. Car play already glitches out. Rust on rims. Rust on interior seat hinge. A thin frame. The gurgle noise is unacceptable. Chevy has known about it for years. Long story short, I have lost faith in it being a reliable vehicle. If the cooling system can’t even be designed properly, what else is wrong with it. Oh well. Toyota will get my money instead. American manufacturers are a joke. I always swore I would only own American, but I’ve had nothing but problems in the 10 years I’ve owned American vehicles. Luckily I can fix things, but I’m not taking a car to a dealership for all the goofy electronics.
Curious...Are they just going to take it back? Won't cost you anything? That would be nice.
Have you looked at the new Ranger?

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
I suspect he has them taking it back.

His initial complaint was the transmission and shifting characteristics. That should have been evident in a test drive. I would guess that after a week of driving a manual transmission in city traffic, it became obvious that it is a pain to drive a manual. Which is of course half the reason few of the manufacturers sell many manual transmissions except in performance cars.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If the dealer is indeed willing to undo the deal after a week, great. Never known a new-car dealer to do that, Carmax and Carvana sure, but every new car dealer I've used, at least in CA and IL, very clearly states no cooling-off period but maybe the OP lives somewhere that there is a cooling-off period or the dealer has a return policy. I figured returning = trading in, but maybe not.

Maybe they'll come back and share the details of how that'll work. Wish nothing but the best for the OP and for them to be happy with whatever vehicle they have.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,441 Posts
I don't think I have ever had a week that bad of owning any vehicle.

Even the 2005 Camry I drove with all of its issues, never had a week like that.

I feel pretty lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What year is your Colorado I am trading my 2020 Colorado in for a Toyota as well had mine 8 days nothing but issues

·
Registered
694 Posts
Life is short. If you don't like the thing, just move on.
I ended up with the Colorado after a determined effort to buy a Taco. Toyota went above and beyond the call with my 3.0 pickup head gaskets and then hung me out to dry with V8 4-Runner piston slap.
I drove both and the Colorado was light years ahead in road manners and chassis rigidity. I bought the Colorado while not especially caring about anything else.
GM does screw up their share of stuff as well. They all probably do. Rattles, incomplete build (wires hanging on exhaust etc.). I was surprised to see some of this crap.
Surf a Taco forum an no doubt you will find similar high rate issues. They all screw up. It seems to be a systemic issue with anything constructed by humans.
Bottom line is that you won't bruise my fragile ego if you go with the Taco.
Both are good options.
Neither is issue free.
Choose your issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What year is your Colorado I am trading my 2020 Colorado in for a Toyota as well had mine 8 days nothing but issues
Are you actually returning it to the dealer
Life is short. If you don't like the thing, just move on.
I ended up with the Colorado after a determined effort to buy a Taco. Toyota went above and beyond the call with my 3.0 pickup head gaskets and then hung me out to dry with V8 4-Runner piston slap.
I drove both and the Colorado was light years ahead in road manners and chassis rigidity. I bought the Colorado while not especially caring about anything else.
GM does screw up their share of stuff as well. They all probably do. Rattles, incomplete build (wires hanging on exhaust etc.). I was surprised to see some of this crap.
Surf a Taco forum an no doubt you will find similar high rate issues. They all screw up. It seems to be a systemic issue with anything constructed by humans.
Bottom line is that you won't bruise my fragile ego if you go with the Taco.
Both are good options.
Neither is issue free.
Choose your issues.
[/QUOTE
"rust on the rims" aren't they cast aluminum on all but the WT? I smell another taco troll. Maybe he is mad the Army just bought over 2,000 Duramax ZR2's lol...stupid Carplay!
ya mine are aluminum

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
"rust on the rims" aren't they cast aluminum on all but the WT? I smell another taco troll. Maybe he is mad the Army just bought over 2,000 Duramax ZR2's lol...stupid Carplay!
In another thread they said it's a manual trans, so it would have to be a low-trim, 2.5L truck which means steel wheels.

Reactions: White016
1 - 20 of 63 Posts