Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 140 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Multiple people including me confirmed that 2018 ZR2 is missing wire to power heated wheel. But you said it’s there in yours. Sounds like it is not.

His fuse is there and it has power to it. The connector is there on the steering column for the heat to the steering wheel airbag coil. My 2018 Z71 had all of this and my heated wheel conversion works but his ZR2 does not. We are going to get it working but it will take investigation. It was raining last Saturday morning when we were working on it. I have no idea why it works on one 2018 Colorado but not on another 2018.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess my first step is to determine if I have a two post or three post air bag right? If I have a 3 post, how do I release the 3rd post?
The third post is released using a mirror and the "bent" end of an Allen wrench, size really doesn't matter. Turn the ignition key so the steering wheel will move, then turn the steering wheel so the bottom of the wheel is all the way at the top. Use your mirror and flashlight to illuminate the back of the steering wheel. You will see the post and the small silver bar that holds it in. Just take the Allen wrench and push the silver bar where the red arrow is shown in the picture. It's the easiest of the three posts to release.

HH

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Multiple people including me confirmed that 2018 ZR2 is missing wire to power heated wheel. But you said it’s there in yours. Sounds like it is not.
Tonight, double checked the fuse... it's good. Next, the power at the steering wheel connectors was checked. The connector inside the steering wheel and the one next to the steering shaft are both without power. So it's on to the wiring....

When you look at the first picture below (from the other thread with the green arrow) it's a bit hard to determine which way the connector is oriented.... That being said when you look at the connector upside down (2nd picture) then there is a purple wire in that corner position. Looking at it the correct way (3rd picture) it shows that position is open. The connector I bought is too small to lock into this position as it just falls out of the block when the block is locked back in place. Is it possible to install the wired connectors in the wrong block? (everything else has been wrong, so why not....).

Now to check the other connector. Can someone check to see if the white wire is in the correct location in the 4th picture (my truck) as compared to the 5th picture with the green arrow (from ZR2 wiring thread)? What's strange and very concerning is that the other wires, the sizes, locations and colors in the two pictures are completely different.....

Build date is 04/18 (6th picture)

Since this is now driving me crazy, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HH

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it possible to install the wired connectors in the wrong block? (everything else has been wrong, so why not....).
Well I can answer my own question on this one.... the connectors are different sizes. One is larger than the other so NO you cannot install them in the wrong block.

Now the next problem. When placing the connector in the X203 location, it does not want to go all the way in. I was pushing on it last night and of course it broke.... Off to the dealership to get another one and out more $$$$ :cry: Something is preventing the connector from going all the way into the block.

When looking at the wire block, there is a white piece of plastic that looks like some type of locking mechanism, but I cannot release it. The 2nd picture is taken from the side with the white plastic slid as far as it will move.

Any ideas?

HH

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you solve this?

A huge THANK YOU to Jerry455 for helping me install the heated steering wheel in the ZR2. Jerry just became a grandfather (again) and his daughter was coming home from the hospital on Saturday, but he still had time to put the clock spring and wheel on my truck. The ZR2 is a later build than his Z71 and it appears that the wiring harness is just slightly different. In the thread about an additional wire needed running between the fuse blocks in the passenger footwell, there was already a purple wire in place, but the heat failed to activate on the wheel.

Investigation continues..... Took the fuse panel apart and double checked that the wiring was there, double checked the connections under the airbag (hey... I'm getting pretty good at getting that thing off!!) and everything is connected correctly.

Next step is to remove the steering wheel upper and lower trim covers (might require taking the wheel and airbag off again to get to the screws behind the wheel) and then putting everything back together again to test the connection at the power plug to the heated steering wheel. If there is no power there, then something is missing in the wiring. If there is power there, then it's something else..... coil spring or the actual heating element in the steering wheel.

Again, a huge THANK YOU to Jerry455 for taking time away from his family to help me out on a cold Saturday morning!!!

The fun continues......

HH
Did you ever resolve this?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I guess my first step is to determine if I have a two post or three post air bag right? If I have a 3 post, how do I release the 3rd post?
I had time to mess with this today after installing my Bedrug and Tonneau. I definitely have a 3 post wheel. I also have the empty plug just to the left of the steering column. I tested the plug for power and have none.

Is there an online source that shows the different wheels available? I found an online retailer with 3 post wheel, collision avoidance and heat button, but it doesn't state what color. In fact, all the GM parts guys online show the same wheel, but no color listings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you ever resolve this?
The short answer is not yet but working on it. There is a missing wire between the X2 pin 15 and the X203 pin 12. There is another thread (<-- click) about this missing wire in the ZR2 model. Broke two connectors trying to install them in the X203 so have decided to let the professionals give it a try. Have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for them to install the wire.

HH

·
Registered
18 Posts
The short answer is not yet but working on it. There is a missing wire between the X2 pin 15 and the X203 pin 12. There is another thread (<-- click) about this missing wire in the ZR2 model. Broke two connectors trying to install them in the X203 so have decided to let the professionals give it a try. Have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for them to install the wire.

HH
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
When one is popping the steering cover to check for TWO POST or THREE POST, do you always disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait or just pop the cover when live?

I need to check my 18 ZR2 as heated steering up here is so nice.

jjw
ND

·
Registered
193 Posts
When one is popping the steering cover to check for TWO POST or THREE POST, do you always disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait or just pop the cover when live?

I need to check my 18 ZR2 as heated steering up here is so nice.

jjw
ND

Since the cover IS the airbag, I unhooked negative cable and waited 30 minutes. I don't have a clue if it is required, but disconnecting seems to be the recommended method.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I disconnected the negative cable and then pressed the brake pedal for 20 seconds and never had a problem (removed mine 3 times).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have had a horrible time getting the part numbers for a Cocoa 2nd design wheel with pre-crash, cruise and heat. I tried using a VIN from a 2019 with all those options and in that color, but 2019 parts aren't uploaded to any of the online parts houses yet. I am trying to avoid standing for 30 minutes at the local dealer parts counter but I guess I'll try that next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fal guy, Can't help you with cocoa wheel BUT are you sure that you need a 2nd design wheel ? Have you had the air bag off to be sure it is a 3 pin design that you need ? I am doing the swap on a 2018 Canyon ( Sept build ) and it uses a 1st design, 2 pin air bag. However the bag uses purple and pink connectors. Between Jerry455 and gdl experiences and mine, it seems that 2018 may have used either wheel and either bag. I ordered a 23407638 clock spring coil and it had yellow and green bag connectors. I am now waiting on a 84235700 coil hopefully with purple and pink connectors.. fingers crossed ! I ordered and received 84546624 wheel; black, 1st design, heat, no collision, cruise and audio

I think that maybe somewhere mid year 2018 the airbag assy may have been made up of 2 or 3 pin housings with either pink/purple OR green/yellow bag modules.

Just saying for anyone, it might be well worth pulling your bag to check mounting pins and connector colours before ordering.

Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts

HH
Had them install the wire but didn't tell them to test the steering wheel... (DOH!!) It didn't work.... :frown2:

I finally bit the bullet and took it back to the dealership to have the professional's troubleshoot the issue. It appears that the one wire that I put in was in the wrong position. They fixed it and now I have heat....

Thank you Les Stanford in Dearborn MI....

HH

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fal guy, Can't help you with cocoa wheel BUT are you sure that you need a 2nd design wheel ? Have you had the air bag off to be sure it is a 3 pin design that you need ?
I didn't actually pull the airbag off. I removed the upper cover off of the steering column, turned the wheel 180 degrees so the bottom was now at the top, and then used my phone camera to look at the back of the wheel where I saw the 3rd pin. I do not know the connector colors at this point.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine is an early 2018 also. I have tried to find the break point for the 1st and 2nd design but I have not been able to find it. Parts catalog only says first and second, no dates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just read this entire thread, and am hopeful that this will be plug-n-play, but am getting confused with all the part numbers. Here's what I have.

2018 Colorado 4X4 (non ZR2) with collision avoidance.

Two pin airbag.

Pink and purple air bag connectors.

I have the fuse, and can actually see the plug when I look up through the tilt steering slot from the bottom.

Can someone help me with the steering wheel and clock spring part numbers? Is the Colorado wheel identical to the Canyon steering wheel? Arcadia, maybe? I don't care if the design is slightly different, as long as it fits, and is leather wrapped...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom,
The wheel must be available. I ordered mine 84546624 wheel; black, 1st design, heat, no collision, cruise and audio (see above post ) from gmpartsdepot.ca
This is in Ottawa, Canada so might be cost prohibitive for you but they are available. BTW the clock spring 84235700 coil has purple and pink connectors.

Bill

121 - 140 of 250 Posts