Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are correct it is a 3 post, they switched to the 3 post design in 2017 so I can’t use the wheel I wanted to buy lucky they are cheap on eBay. Thanks for the help guys it very much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
You are correct it is a 3 post, they switched to the 3 post design in 2017 so I can’t use the wheel I wanted to buy lucky they are cheap on eBay. Thanks for the help guys it very much appreciated!
Correction: GM switched to the 3 post during the 2018 model run. As trikermutha pointed out, his early 2018 has a two post and mine does as well. While it likely happened in 2017, it was not to the 2017 model.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2018 was an early production and had a 2 post. I am not sure when the 3 post was started but it was sometime after September 2017 as that was when my truck was built.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Crap, crap, crap! I'm doing the Acadia 2 post steering wheel swap. Got everything apart this morning, only to discover I can't find the frigging harness I ordered so many moons ago. Part number is 84248017 and it's the harness in the Denali wheel but is no longer listed with no new numbers. Took me about a half hour to get everything stripped down and the new clock spring installed but when I went looking for the damn harness, it was no where to be found. At least I can leave the clock spring installed and put the old wheel back in while I try to find the harness or track down another one, but I'm one PO'd person right now!

Pardon me while I go gnaw on a tree or something.

I lied, clock spring needs to come off because the air bag connects are different. Bah humbug!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm sorry man, you've had a rough go. I wish this was working for you already.

Did you get pictures of the airbag connectors et al so we can track down the correct clockspring?

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Think he had to switch back because he didn't have the harness and the new wheel didn't match the clock spring for the old wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Crap, crap, crap! I'm doing the Acadia 2 post steering wheel swap. Got everything apart this morning, only to discover I can't find the frigging harness I ordered so many moons ago. Part number is 84248017 and it's the harness in the Denali wheel but is no longer listed with no new numbers. Took me about a half hour to get everything stripped down and the new clock spring installed but when I went looking for the damn harness, it was no where to be found. At least I can leave the clock spring installed and put the old wheel back in while I try to find the harness or track down another one, but I'm one PO'd person right now!

Pardon me while I go gnaw on a tree or something.

I lied, clock spring needs to come off because the air bag connects are different. Bah humbug!

May have been replaced with this # 84394027 ?

84248017 - Genuine GM Parts (gmpartsgiant.com)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I'm sorry man, you've had a rough go. I wish this was working for you already.

Did you get pictures of the airbag connectors et al so we can track down the correct clockspring?
Think he had to switch back because he didn't have the harness and the new wheel didn't match the clock spring for the old wheel.
trikermutha is right. Using the Acadia wheel requires swapping out the harness from a Denali wheel. The Denali wheels came with the heater harness even if they didn't have the heater control. So you swap out the Acadia harness, put in the Denali and all should be good to go. We'll see - replacement harness is on order. I'll probably stumble across the other harness the day after the new one arrives.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That makes more sense. I thought you had different colored airbag connectors.

I could have told you the Acadia harness that comes with the wheel wouldn't have worked, the big yellow flat connector is a dead giveaway. Although, I think it could probably be repinned if you found the right molex connector, now that I'm looking at my pictures..

I have an Acadia heated wheel harness that hasn't sold for years, so it just sits in the garage, triker's right, it won't move.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
That makes more sense. I thought you had different colored airbag connectors.

I could have told you the Acadia harness that comes with the wheel wouldn't have worked, the big yellow flat connector is a dead giveaway. Although, I think it could probably be repinned if you found the right molex connector, now that I'm looking at my pictures..

I have an Acadia heated wheel harness that hasn't sold for years, so it just sits in the garage, triker's right, it won't move.
I thought about re-pinning the Chevy plug but the Acadia plug has 4 or 5 more wires than the Chevy plug and I don't have an Acadia manual to see what they are for. I'd consider moving to southern Texas to avoid needing this but with my luck that would merely trigger the next ice age and I'd need it even down there. Maybe Tahiti would be safe...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I thought about re-pinning the Chevy plug but the Acadia plug has 4 or 5 more wires than the Chevy plug and I don't have an Acadia manual to see what they are for. I'd consider moving to southern Texas to avoid needing this but with my luck that would merely trigger the next ice age and I'd need it even down there. Maybe Tahiti would be safe...
Seeing as it's coming from an identically laid-out wheel, I don't think they do anything, unless the controls work differently somehow signalwise. Maybe the Acadia shared clocksprings with something else more advanced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did this upgrade and it is great. I was on the fence about getting a Denali but ended up going with a All-Terrain. This wheel though! This is what I'm really missing from the Denali trim. It just feels so much nicer than the AT wheel and the heated wheel is real nice. Colored the stiches with a regular red sharpie.
My truck is a 2018 and has a two post wheel with purple and pink airbag connectors.
I used wheel PN 84546626 (black with collision warning and heat... couldn't find a 84546624) and clock spring PN 84316707.
Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was able to get a Chevy Traverse wheel to work. Just needed to swap out the wiring harness in the wheel and repin one connector.

These are the part numbers I used:

OEM 2018 2019 Chevrolet Chevy Traverse Black Leather Steering Wheel 84508163 $72

84235700 clock spring $80

84394027 Steering Wheel Wiring Harness $45

I had the heated wheel part number 84394041, but the trim was a brushed aluminum and didn't match the grey surrounding the stereo display. Too many different colors going on in the truck already. I paid $243 for that wheel so this ended up being cheaper.

381 - 400 of 403 Posts