Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

361 - 380 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you get your heated wheel installed?

I love the heated wheel in our Yukon, and want one in my Colorado.

I have a 2018 zr2 v6.... I’m trying to figure out what part numbers for steering wheel and clock spring...

can you help me out with those numbers? I give crappy back rubs in return...
Haven't installed it yet.

I took a bit of a gamble and haven't been able to get the clockspring from the vidoes yet - I strongly encourage you to go back a few pages and watch the videos.

I flipped my steering wheel upside down and could feel a "tab" so even though I'm a 2018 mid year I think I have the 3 post from watching the video. I hadn't been able to get the steering wheel number from the video but seeing the above post by BLT19 I ordered 84648774, which they call an F Wheel which is on the way.

Previously I tried ordering the 3 post wheel in the video which was a different number and the corresponding clock spring 84316707, but every order I made was cancelled as the wheel was on perpetual backorder. They asked me if I still wanted the clockspring and I cancelled it due to not having both. This was a mistake as now the clockspring is on perpetual backorder.

So I have a wheel coming but no clockspring. When the wheel gets here I'm going to pop it off and take pictures and post here.

I can't express my distaste enough for these online GM ordering parts places. None of them have stock and when you place an order I think they just query the GM stock system. You will notice that gmdirect and the others look almost identical. They just place an order to GM and have no stock themselves. It is a unbelievably shitty system. If either of your parts are out of stock or on backorder it will be cancelled. They are literally just a online middle man offering discounts.

You have to constantly email them to ask for them to query the inventory - there is no function to place a backorder and have them fullfill it when it comes in stock. You are getting it at a fraction of dealer cost but it is a royal pita.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Haven't installed it yet.

I took a bit of a gamble and haven't been able to get the clockspring from the vidoes yet - I strongly encourage you to go back a few pages and watch the videos.

I flipped my steering wheel upside down and could feel a "tab" so even though I'm a 2018 mid year I think I have the 3 post from watching the video. I hadn't been able to get the steering wheel number from the video but seeing the above post by BLT19 I ordered 84648774, which they call an F Wheel which is on the way.

Previously I tried ordering the 3 post wheel in the video which was a different number and the corresponding clock spring 84316707, but every order I made was cancelled as the wheel was on perpetual backorder. They asked me if I still wanted the clockspring and I cancelled it due to not having both. This was a mistake as now the clockspring is on perpetual backorder.

So I have a wheel coming but no clockspring. When the wheel gets here I'm going to pop it off and take pictures and post here.

I can't express my distaste enough for these online GM ordering parts places. None of them have stock and when you place an order I think they just query the GM stock system. You will notice that gmdirect and the others look almost identical. They just place an order to GM and have no stock themselves. It is a unbelievably shitty system. If either of your parts are out of stock or on backorder it will be cancelled. They are literally just a online middle man offering discounts.

You have to constantly email them to ask for them to query the inventory - there is no function to place a backorder and have them fullfill it when it comes in stock. You are getting it at a fraction of dealer cost but it is a royal pita.
I absolutely agree with your assessment of the various GM online parts places. Having to order a part to find out if they have it is utter BS. Some won't even notify you they don't have the part - you just never hear from them again after placing the order. Doing business like that should be painful - to the businesses - not the buyers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I absolutely agree with your assessment of the various GM online parts places. Having to order a part to find out if they have it is utter BS. Some won't even notify you they don't have the part - you just never hear from them again after placing the order. Doing business like that should be painful - to the businesses - not the buyers.
I also forgot to thank @fondupot for his videos and the others who have chimed in with tips/help model numbers etc. It's made this ordering painful experience a little bit more bearable ;) I'm going to give it a go and email the parts people weekly to see if I can get a clockspring. Last resort might be to go to the dealer and see if they can do it I just don't want to deal with hiked up prices.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I’m keeping my eye on this. As soon as it’s sorted with correct numbers I’m jumping In. Had a crap day.
I could use some shop therapy...

·
Registered
149 Posts
It may, but none of the needed wiring would be there to run power to the heating element. Not a huge deal as it could be added I believe.
Well I want to keep my old clock spring that doesn’t have radio controls or heat I just want the cruise control to work and the leather lol. I was hoping some one could tell me, I think if the guy sells it cheep I’ll buy it anyways and hope it works.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Well I want to keep my old clock spring that doesn’t have radio controls or heat I just want the cruise control to work and the leather lol. I was hoping some one could tell me, I think if the guy sells it cheep I’ll buy it anyways and hope it works.
I don't think it would work w/o the proper clock spring. I was referring to the wiring going to the clock spring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So you want it just for the cruise control buttons?
I just want it because it’s leather, I already have cruise control and the shitty basic radio and don’t really care to upgrade it anytime soon and if I do then I’ll worry about making it work. So I okay really care I’d that my cruise controls will still work and it who’ll physically fit my 2016 colorado.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Look at the part number of the steer wheel you what to buy and see how far back it goes for vehicle fitment. If it goes as far back as your truck then go for it. And if its a three post or two post would be good to know too.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
He does not.

The 2018 3 post wheel will not work on your 2016 two post wheel.

The airbag connectors on the clockspring will also be different.

You don't need a truck prewired with the heated wheel circuit, but you absolutely need a clockspring with the heat circuit to make the wheel work.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What in that picture indicates it's a 3 post? Look at your steering wheel and see how many release holes are in the wheel. 2016 should have two, one on the right and one on the left. They are very small, about 1/16" in diameter. During the 2018 model year, GM changed the steering wheel to a 3 post version, and the 3rd access point is located at the bottom of the steering wheel. The two wheels are not interchangeable without also replacing the airbag - a costly proposition.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I didn't think he did have a 3 post. I know they went to a three post sometime after they made my 18 canyon which was a early 18 production and I still had the 2 post design.

361 - 380 of 403 Posts