Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

221 - 240 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wtf... I ordered mine from there in November
dang that’s weird. Give them a call. I got the notification yesterday. And I just got the delivery this morning. FedEx man starting early.

·
Registered
84 Posts
idk how to even reauthorize it. I may call them. I tried that like 2-3 weeks ago and didn't get any answers as they didn't answer my calls. I'm going to try again on Monday and see what is going on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I called them and they dug into it. It was indeed the issue with authorization on the paypal payment. They have my parts and I reauthorized payment. She said they should go out today or tomorrow

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I called them and they dug into it. It was indeed the issue with authorization on the paypal payment. They have my parts and I reauthorized payment. She said they should go out today or tomorrow
Good to hear. I am just finishing up my install. It does not take long at all, the longest part is waiting for the electrical system to discharge after disconnecting the battery.

I am making a video that I'll post later today.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good to hear. I am just finishing up my install. It does not take long at all, the longest part is waiting for the electrical system to discharge after disconnecting the battery.

I am making a video that I'll post later today.
Excellent. Yes mine is an All Terrain so I'm going to dye the stitching(actual red dye) and also mine doesnt have the wiring so im doing an add a fuse to an existing switched power then running them up to the column for the power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There’s been a lot of interest in retrofitting a heated steering wheel into our trucks. What we’ve found for those of us with 2017 models is at least some models have the wire harness for the heat circuit already installed. If you check your fuse panel located behind the passenger side footwell panel and find a spot labeled for heated steering wheel with a fuse installed, there’s a very good chance you already have the wiring installed up the steering column.

I borrowed this picture from a post by Fondupot showing the location of the fuse.

And this is the connector on the steering column. There are two wires, a purple/white with 12 volt switched power and a black ground.

I had my dealer’s parts department look up the parts numbers for the Canyon Denali steering wheel and clock spring. For the steering wheel they listed two numbers, a first design and a second design. Their description only said the 1st design was 2 pin and the 2nd design was 3 pin. I have no clue what that means. My first thought was it referenced the number of pins on the airbag connectors but I’ve since determined that the airbag connectors are on the clock spring and not the wheel harness so that can’t be it. It seems that the part numbers for the 1st design wheels begin with 8404 while the 2nd design begin with 8406. You may need to pop your airbag out in order to determine what the part number is on your current wheel. To further complicate things I’ve found the original part number I was given for the 1st design has been superseded by one starting with 8414.

Part numbers:
1st Design Wheel – 84044764. GMPartsDirect shows this has been superseded by 84147734
2nd Design Wheel – 84068387
Clock Spring – 23407638

If your truck has a black wheel currently, your easiest solution will be to order the Canyon Denali wheel and clock spring, then it’s a simple install, especially if you already have the wiring on the column. If you don’t have the wiring already, you’d have to run your own 12V switched power and ground connections. The issue I ran into is when I was trying to order the wheel using the original number I was given they could never get it shipped. It’s possible the new part number may be available, I haven’t tried ordering one of those as I came up with another solution, detailed in the next post. If your truck has a different color wheel and you don’t want black then your only option will be to follow along with my next post.

If you have a Colorado there’s a question on whether your current airbag will work in a GMC wheel. I have my original Canyon wheel available, if there’s someone in the Denver area willing to pull their airbag for a test fit I’d be happy to come to you so we can answer that question for everyone. The alternative is the Chevy Traverse wheel looks externally identical to the Colorado wheel so it may work in the same way the Acadia wheel worked for me.

For my solution, follow along…
Here’s a good video , erase if already posted

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got all my stuff yesterday. Working on the stitching to red. I tried dye but that didn't work. Way too transparent so i got a permanent fabric marker that appears to be a LOT better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got it installed today. Turning the stitches red took about an hour and then the rest took maybe 30 minutes. I have a 2016 and therefore i don't have the wires in the column. I ran a 2 conductor wire in 18awg and used a 2 pin molex connector to make 2 new ends in the column shroud then ran to the fuse box. I hooked an Add A Fuse Micro into the radio 20A fuse and on the wheel side i put in a 7.5A fuse. I added it to the radio fuse position because it's a switched power source that comes on when i use remote start. The cool thing with that is if i had the heated wheel on before i shut the truck off it will come on with the remote start. If i had it off it stays off with the remote start until i turn it on. The heated wheel is the best mod i've done to my truck to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Z71. Do I need to swap out the wiring harness to make this work ? Thinking of swapping it out for the Denali harness

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2016 Z71. Do I need to swap out the wiring harness to make this work ? Thinking of swapping it out for the Denali harness
You could go that route but that's WAY more involved than i wanted to get with mine. I literally bought the wheel and clock spring then when i had the column covers off i cut the new clock spring 2 wire plug off the clockspring and added a 2 pin molex connector and ran a 2 conductor shielded wire from the fuse box on the passengers side kick panel and then up to the column. Put a molex on that one as well and connected it then went to the fuse box. Hooked in an Add A Circuit to a spare switch 12v spot and grounded the black wire in my 2 conductor wire. Works great and way less hassle and work

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Well ordered my steering wheel from Rock Auto and got it in 5 days. Now just waiting for my clock spring. Steering wheel got shipped from GM to my house.

221 - 240 of 302 Posts