Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after almost 3 years my 2016 Crewcab long box Canyon diesel has 62,300 kms. 100% stock. Used mainly for towing our 23 ft Travel trailer, 6000 lbs, mainly thru the mountains, and Rockies of B.C. And as a DD. First and only issue, alternator pulley leaking, replaced no questions asked under warranty. Truck has been fantastic, more than enough power to get up the long, curvy mountain passes, and comfy enough to travel long distance,and with a tank range of 1100 kms , the diesel is as good as an economy car. Lifetime average fuel economy of 8.8L/100kms 26.72 mpg.Unreal for a 5000 lb 4x4 Truck.
With the diesel exhaust brake helping me descend grades, the brake pads still have 70% remaining. My tires( stock Good Year Hatitutes, will be due for replacement in the next 20,000 kms .

My wife's 2018 Crewcab long box diesel, 6 months, 15,000 kms, used to tow 2 stall horse trailer, and as a DD. 100% stock. Zero issues, zero recalls. Lifetime average 8.4 L/100 kms(28 mpg).

I know you read about how problematic the diesel trucks are how slow or sluggish they are ,need to be tuned to work better ect, ect.
Well nothing could be further from the truth, engines and transmissions have both worked flawlessly, no complaints at all. These trucks hold speed effortlessly at a low 2300 rpm while towng full size travel trailers and stock trailer.
The Diesel makes for such a comfortable stress free towing experience going down steep grades, the grade braking and exhaust brake combination allow you to rarely touch the brake pedal. The icing on the cake is having a Crewcab 4x4 with the capability of a 1/2 ton, and get fuel economy of a small car.
As a real world comparison on fuel economy, we have a friend with a 2017 CCLB V6 Canyon, he typically gets 12 mpg less while towing and, 8 mpg less as a daily driver.
DEF usage is so minimal, it cost maybe $3 a month.

So anyone wondering how these trucks are left stock, well I have to say they are amazing, and still love getting behind the wheel and hearing the little diesel purr, while it pulls like ...well ...a Diesel. Rock solid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So after almost 3 years my 2016 Crewcab long box Canyon diesel has 62,300 kms. 100% stock. Used mainly for towing our 23 ft Travel trailer, 6000 lbs, mainly thru the mountains, and Rockies of B.C. And as a DD. First and only issue, alternator pulley leaking, replaced no questions asked under warranty. Truck has been fantastic, more than enough power to get up the long, curvy mountain passes, and comfy enough to travel long distance,and with a tank range of 1100 kms , the diesel is as good as an economy car. Lifetime average fuel economy of 8.8L/100kms 26.72 mpg.Unreal for a 5000 lb 4x4 Truck.
With the diesel exhaust brake helping me descend grades, the brake pads still have 70% remaining. My tires( stock Good Year Hatitutes, will be due for replacement in the next 20,000 kms .

My wife's 2018 Crewcab long box diesel, 6 months, 15,000 kms, used to tow 2 stall horse trailer, and as a DD. 100% stock. Zero issues, zero recalls. Lifetime average 8.4 L/100 kms(28 mpg).

I know you read about how problematic the diesel trucks are how slow or sluggish they are ,need to be tuned to work better ect, ect.
Well nothing could be further from the truth, engines and transmissions have both worked flawlessly, no complaints at all. These trucks hold speed effortlessly at a low 2300 rpm while towng full size travel trailers and stock trailer.
The Diesel makes for such a comfortable stress free towing experience going down steep grades, the grade braking and exhaust brake combination allow you to rarely touch the brake pedal. The icing on the cake is having a Crewcab 4x4 with the capability of a 1/2 ton, and get fuel economy of a small car.
As a real world comparison on fuel economy, we have a friend with a 2017 CCLB V6 Canyon, he typically gets 12 mpg less while towing and, 8 mpg less as a daily driver.
DEF usage is so minimal, it cost maybe $3 a month.

So anyone wondering how these trucks are left stock, well I have to say they are amazing, and still love getting behind the wheel and hearing the little diesel purr, while it pulls like ...well ...a Diesel. Rock solid.
Thanks for that information. I have 20k on my '17 and agree with your comments. So far lifetime average fuel economy is 9.2l/100km and DEF burn rate of 0.1c/km. I bought my '17 in April 2018. I like the truck.. I have a couple questions though...

Question one - were you affected by the smoke from the BC forest fires this past summer? Specifically, with regard to your trucks? The reason I ask is because I was driving to and from Calgary when it was very smokey in Alberta and my Canyon seems to have been in regen mode almost the entire time when it was super smokey. No CEL warnings or idiot lights came on. That is the only time I got 'poor' highway efficiency; on that trip it fluctuate between of 10 and 17l/100km, averaged about 12l/100km over the 1600km trip. Its highway consumption has been 7.5-8.5 before and since then. I am interested if you or anyone else had a similar experience.

Question two is about Dexos 2 oil - I dont know what part of BC you are in, or how cold it gets in the winter... if you are in a colder part of BC, were you changing oil to the cold service spec'ed Dexos 2 0w30 or 0W40?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the entire month of August, the smoke was so thick you could not see the surrounding mountains. It was horrible. But I saw no difference in fuel economy while driving in the smoke.
I use 5-40 Mogul Dexos 2 all year round. - 20c is about as cold as it gets here.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for this write up! You're right, most come on to complain about a problem, while the majority just keep driving. My truck (2017 CCLB 4X4 LT) has also been great this far, I'm at 33k miles and I love the way it tows as well as how it drives as a daily driver. The past 4 weekends have all been 600ish mile trips and getting 31mpg average on 3 of those was great! The first one I pulled an enclosed trailer on... it got 20mpg for that trip.

There are plenty of us that are fully stock and love our trucks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
So far, no issues with mine either. It's been a good truck and it gets between 24.5 and 27 on average. I'm warming up to the 6-speed, starting to learn its logic. It's pretty impressive how this truck drives.

...But the price of diesel, but the option cost, but DEF, and REGEN!!!1!!!!1juan!!!

I'm glad I have all the V6 guys to worry about that stuff for me, because it really doesn't even hit my radar :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Question one - were you affected by the smoke from the BC forest fires this past summer? Specifically, with regard to your trucks? The reason I ask is because I was driving to and from Calgary when it was very smokey in Alberta and my Canyon seems to have been in regen mode almost the entire time when it was super smokey. No CEL warnings or idiot lights came on. That is the only time I got 'poor' highway efficiency; on that trip it fluctuate between of 10 and 17l/100km, averaged about 12l/100km over the 1600km trip. Its highway consumption has been 7.5-8.5 before and since then. I am interested if you or anyone else had a similar experience.
I don't see how the smoky air would have caused that, the regen is triggered by differential pressure in the DPF, the pressure differential increases as the DPF loads up and then the computer triggers a regen to turn the soot to ash. Your air filter would plug up before any air quality issues would cause a DPF problem. I'd say something else was going on and the smoke was just an easy thing to blame it on.

My 2017 Canyon DMAX has also been solid after 20k miles in 11 months. It was a pleasure towing our travel trailer 5,700 miles this summer and we can't wait to head to Canada with it next summer!

We don't see -20F temps here in Illinois so I've been using Valvoline 5w-40 MST which is a dexos2 oil. Haven't been able to easily locate any 0w-30 or 0w-40 dexos2 or ACEA C3 oil here in the US.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2017 CCSB 4x4 has been basically problem-free as well. Average mileage in the high 20s for 7000+ miles, and individual fill-ups showing 30. Only topped off DEF once in there.

As far as wanting a tune etc., I wish I could find one that gave it's power boost below 3000rpm and let the transmission shift and lockup earlier. Most tunes talk about power gains, but it all seems to live in the 3000-4000rpm range. I couldn't care less about power up that high - as a daily driver mine essentially lives below 3000rpm.

I also wish I could find the Mobil 1 ESB 0w-40 dexos2 oil locally. Reading about Ford and FCA changing their diesels from 5w-30 oil to 5w-40 or 15w-40 diesel-spec oil due to insufficient engine lubrication is a concern.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Lengthy tune discussion deleted.

With 10K on it, my truck performed perfectly fine stock, no check engine lights, no DIC messages, no problems of any kind other than the typical "Chevy Lean" in the rear end. Over the last 11K, with the tune, it performs hella better, no problems :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Oh gosh, here's where the calm 'see? our trucks are perfectly fine without a tune' gets de-railed by tune tune tune GDE blah blah blah. His point was simple...his truck performs perfectly fine stock.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
@thogland and @Duken4evr, there are tune threads if you want to discuss tunes. Let's not clutter up this non-tuned/stock thread with such posts. Please? :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have to agree with the OP, at this point in ownership, I'm really happy with my truck. Went for a ride the other day and the wife asks me "when was the last time you fueled-up?" I said "I don't know, look in the book!". It seems that since I retired, I don't drive as much as I use to, so I fill up about once a month to five weeks. I like the fact that when I do, I can get between 655-700mi. to a tank. And I still get a little anxious when the wife takes it to the "city" to do the shopping/mall thing! I am very happy with the stock performance of this truck and don't regret buying it. I must be getting way old or something because I just don't do all the hop-ups/modifications I use to do on my full-size trucks, Jeeps and motorcycles like I used to do, H3LL, I even have a little more money to do those things now than I had back then. At this point, very satisfied! OLDDUDE>:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Have to agree with the OP, at this point in ownership, I'm really happy with my truck. Went for a ride the other day and the wife asks me "when was the last time you fueled-up?" I said "I don't know, look in the book!". It seems that since I retired, I don't drive as much as I use to, so I fill up about once a month to five weeks. I like the fact that when I do, I can get between 655-700mi. to a tank. And I still get a little anxious when the wife takes it to the "city" to do the shopping/mall thing! I am very happy with the stock performance of this truck and don't regret buying it. I must be getting way old or something because I just don't do all the hop-ups/modifications I use to do on my full-size trucks, Jeeps and motorcycles like I used to do, H3LL, I even have a little more money to do those things now than I had back then. At this point, very satisfied! OLDDUDE/forums/images/ColoradoFans_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Agreed, took the wife and boy to the inlaws this weekend.... pulled into the driveway at home and she looked at me and asked if I ever stopped to fuel up... nope, 625 miles and the low diesel light wasn't on... that was great (this morning I filled it up with 18ish gallons)! I remember driving my dad's 2002 GMC 1500 to North Carolina and drove non stop home once... it was empty as could be as I pulled into the gas station and loaded 31+ gallons into it though (600 miles).

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I really like mine now. The wife is really in to the idea of an RV and has been shopping so soon, it might even get used for what it was designed for!

Mine is an '18 with 24k miles currently.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Truck has been fantastic, more than enough power to get up the long, curvy mountain passes, and comfy enough to travel long distance,and with a tank range of 1100 kms....

Wow, that range is awesome. Every stock truck range is awesome compared to the lifted 2008 I drove for 5 years though, lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great post and agree 100%. My 18 zr2 duramax has 26k flawless miles on it and I could not be happier. I originally thought a tune after warranty was in my best interest but now I plan on leaving it stock after a year together with it. I avg 23mpg lifetime and fill the def every 10k miles, I am more than happy with that and the power it has.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm somewhat afraid to post for fear of cursing myself ;) but so far my truck has been great, no issues. Almost 14k miles on a 2017. I'm not getting the same mileage you guys are getting, but as soon as I hit the highway or open strait road the mileage shoots up, so I know it's just my mostly city driving conditions. And it's still better than my old (and smaller and less capacity) Tacoma.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts