Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking is a long shot at best, but is there any other Chevy with seats that will fit into the Colorado?

(Even if somebody knows, I guess it's also a long shot that there is an actual match or something close-enough to modify.)

Chevy can make comfortable seats, my LTZ Suburban was the second most comfortable seat I've ever owned, surpassed only by an E55 Benz. Unfortunately we find the Colorado seats to be intolerable on trips of a few hundred miles or more. Most likely I'll take it to a local upholstery shop I've used in the past and have them completely redone, but it would be nice if one of the smaller-platform LTZ models were a match. I'd much rather hit the local junkyards and pull a couple seats than blow two grand getting these reupholstered.

Reactions: Pitmaster

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a particular complaint? The most common I've heard on here is that the base of the seats are a little too narrow and the left bolster digs into the back of your thigh. That is certainly the main issue I have with mine. I find I can more or less move myself around a bit to diminish it, but on long trips I do find myself moving my left leg between the dead pedal and flat on the floor. The unfortunate part is that could be resolved if the seats had tilt, which they sadly don't. Some members have pulled the covers off a bit and slid padding onto the base to boost them over it and others have trimmed the foam on the bolster down

I had my Z71's leatherette/sand-paper fabric seats replaced with Katzkin leather, which helped a bit. I'm hoping they'll do a refresh at some point with 8-way seats, but I'm not that optimistic. I may end up seeing if I can find an upholsterer to trim down the bolster in the future, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have a particular complaint? The most common I've heard on here is that the base of the seats are a little too narrow and the left bolster digs into the back of your thigh.
My complaint is the front seat bolster, the one closest to you knees - it digs and numbs my lower thighs after a while. The lack of adjustment for that particular front side doesn't help.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terrible lumbar support, they're a bit short, and a bit narrow. But I wouldn't say anything in particular really stands out, they're just generally uncomfortable. We recently did a trip that was about 360 miles each way and around 200 miles I was ready to take a break. I've done 1500 mile straight-through drives in the Suburban without a second thought, only stopping once for food and whenever the tank was running on empty.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I wish we had lumbar and tilt on the seats would make them so much more comfortable. I don't have a big complaint with the seats other then the base feeling flat wish it could be tilted

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I wish we had lumbar and tilt on the seats would make them so much more comfortable. I don't have a big complaint with the seats other then the base feeling flat wish it could be tilted
I do have adjustable lumbar support on my 2016 Colorado Z71. It's actually power lumbar support. I'm not sure what you are talking about?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have an Lt I don't have lumbar I have the 4 way power seat up down back and forth are my only power options and I have recline but it's now power

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I have an Lt I don't have lumbar I have the 4 way power seat up down back and forth are my only power options and I have recline but it's now power
If you have power seats, you should also have a power 2 way lumbar button. No? Maybe with the LT, it just comes with the luxury package and leather seats?

·
Registered
939 Posts
No my seat is only 4 way power (up and down, back and forth) no lumbar and there cloth seats not leather my Malibu had the lumbar and it was great but I love my truck regardless. But maybe swap it eventually for one with lumbar I didn't know it was available lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you see the thread where someone stuffed a towel or small cushion under the seat cover to remove the lip by raising the cushion area more? I doubt you'll find anything that's a direct swap when you consider mount packaging considerations and side airbag wiring, placement, and deployment. That would also be an insurance liability if driving and someone gets hurt. You'd need to measure mounting holes and look at wiring harnesses. The floor is reinforced at seat mounting points for crash safety so if they don't line up it's not as easy as drilling a hole and using a nut/bolt. Something to consider.

An upholstery shop would be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
So you have a Colorado LT and don't like the seats. Maybe switch them with the Canyon All Terrain seats. They are really nice. I drive a Colorado Z71 long distances and love the seats. I have a bad back and the stiffness of the Z71 seats feels great, along with the heated seats. It took me a while of adjusting the seat to find a nice place where there wasn't any pressure on my thighs. I found lower is better. But I'm 6'2'' tall. No manufacturer can make a seat that pleases everyone. Maybe, have an upholstery shop change the foam in your seats? Good luck. I don't think our seats are interchangeable with any other GM seats as of yet. I haven't seen it.

Reactions: CO_Texan

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 16 Canyon All Terrain and it has lumbar support. But the seats are VERY uncomfortable, after an hour of driving my legs hurt and start going numb. I really like my truck but if GM doesn't change the seats my next one will be either a full size, which I really don't want, or i will be looking at the Ford Rangers when they come out.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, I didn't realize some did have lumbar support. I'll have to test drive a Z71 to see whether I like those seats, then cross my fingers I can find a wrecked one to pillage.

Reuse across platforms has been pretty common for the past ten years. I once rented a Malibu LTZ and was surprised that the interior was nearly identical to my Suburban. I assume I'll end up getting them reupholstered, but figured I'd ask in case one of the smaller SUVs like the Equinox was a direct match. I test-drove a 2016 Equinox LTZ awhile back on a whim, and remembered liking those seats.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Interesting, I didn't realize some did have lumbar support. I'll have to test drive a Z71 to see whether I like those seats, then cross my fingers I can find a wrecked one to pillage.

Reuse across platforms has been pretty common for the past ten years. I once rented a Malibu LTZ and was surprised that the interior was nearly identical to my Suburban. I assume I'll end up getting them reupholstered, but figured I'd ask in case one of the smaller SUVs like the Equinox was a direct match. I test-drove a 2016 Equinox LTZ awhile back on a whim, and remembered liking those seats.
I was thinking the same of a recent Traverse loaner, w/8 way seats. Colorado's have an obscure front hook and rear bolt down attachment system, so cross fitting may be hindered by that. I have a Z71, and wife has LT w/leather, and I prefer her seat fit & feel with the lumbar.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah so there are LTs with lumbar, too. The whole manufacturer "options package" shell-game just kills me. I custom-ordered a Ram 2500 way back in 2000 and it took me forever to find a dealer that would order it exactly as I wanted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ah so there are LTs with lumbar, too. The whole manufacturer "options package" shell-game just kills me. I custom-ordered a Ram 2500 way back in 2000 and it took me forever to find a dealer that would order it exactly as I wanted.
My truck has the "Luxury Package" which gets the power lumbar and leather. And it took me quite awhile to get the seat adjusted where it was comfortable. Now day's the only thing I mess with is the lumbar sometimes.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, one of you please drive to North Florida and get rear-ended by one of these infernal snow-birds, then drop me a note! :grin2:

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
373 Posts
My wife had a Buick Encore and the interior was similar in sizing. My parents have the Chevy trax which is the same car. If any would fit in our truck those would be my guess. The encore was the second most comfortable seat only to her Cadillac srx she had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The other day I sat in a new Chevy Cruze. Forget the one with the cloth seats, this one had leather, the softest nicest seats I've ever sat in with full power adjustment. I don't recall that comfort level even in a Rolls Royce. Hard to believe I know.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts