Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 WT. Stock :)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Colorado that has a Hellwig sway bar installed. Both of the bolts at the bottom of the sway bar broke. I did some research on the Hellwig website but there is no parts list that tells me the size it should be. I tried calling Hellwig since Wednesday but theyve been closed due to the holiday. Has anyone replaced these with stronger bolts? I'll call them again tomorrow but I was curious if anyone had experience replacing these... Thank you

Rim Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Newspaper Font Paper Publication Newsprint

·
Registered
2015 LT SBCC 4x4
216 Posts
Someone posted that they bought new bolts before initial install of swaybar. I didn't save the link to the post but here are the specs that were posted:

Hellwig swaybar - replacement mounting bolts/nuts/washers:
ARP # 745-5500 1/2"-20 NF X 5.5" SS hex head bolt (9/16" hex head), 170K yield strength.

ARP # 400-8767 1/2"-20 NF Nyloc nut, 140K yield. And Stainless Steel washers, 1/2".

I'll see if I can find link in meantime.

·
Registered
2015 LT SBCC 4x4
216 Posts
Here it is:

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Hellwig has semi reasonable prices for replacement parts but are outrageous on shipping, refusing to ship via USPS flat rate or even in bubble envelope for small parts. Go get some stainless flat washers and zinc coated bolts/nuts at your local hardware.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,549 Posts
Did both end link bolts break?
The hole position looks right.
I do wonder why they broke, I abuse the hell out of mine.
I do hear some squeaking lately. Maybe I spoke too soon...

Reactions: Firehk

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
l suspect they were loose and broke from repeated impact . BTW, l forgot to say use grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they both broke and I do take turns pretty hard. I guess I will start to slow down...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone posted that they bought new bolts before initial install of swaybar. I didn't save the link to the post but here are the specs that were posted:

Hellwig swaybar - replacement mounting bolts/nuts/washers:
ARP # 745-5500 1/2"-20 NF X 5.5" SS hex head bolt (9/16" hex head), 170K yield strength.

ARP # 400-8767 1/2"-20 NF Nyloc nut, 140K yield. And Stainless Steel washers, 1/2".

I'll see if I can find link in meantime.

Thank you for the information. I went to HomeDepot and found the bolts and nuts I needed in a drawer.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
now replace the ones that mount the bracket to the frame and report back which ones you bought since I still need to do the same thing to get rid of the ugly rust

Reactions: F2K2

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,549 Posts
any opinions on the direction of those bolts?
I would have put the heads against the torsion arms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts