Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the engine in my 2008 Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab. My new engine wiring harness is not the same as the engine I just pulled out. There is a connector missing that I am pretty sure goes back to the transmission.

Is there a place I can see a wiring diagram for this truck? This was the most difficult engine ever to remove from the truck and has been a nightmare to work on. I am really hoping that I do not have to replace the entire wiring harness.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
For the smart folks who can actually help you here are a few things that might be useful for you to provide.

What year is the engine you are using to replace (the donor)
What displacement was the engine in your truck
What displacement is the donor engine
Was the donor engine from the same transmission as yours (manual/auto)

There is a member on here with a lot of wire diagrams.
Check out "naskie" He has a link in his signature if you look for his posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine I am taking out is 2008. The engine I am replacing it with is 2012. Both are Automatic and 3.7L.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do It Yourself and DIY Auto Repair by ChiltonDIY should have all the info you need.

It's around $20 per year per vehicle but there is every diagram you could want. I paid for the 2007 Colorado, which would probably be very similar to yours but not identical.

I tried to post a picture of the Engine Harness Routing diagram but it says the file is too big. I could email it to you if it helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon 4WD SLE
56 Posts
Is this a Canyon/Colorado engine or is this a different engine you plan to fit to mounts and existing drivetrain

·
Registered
6,606 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon 4WD SLE
56 Posts
Thanks Tom. I am personally interested in what people did or do to replace their engine. I really like the exterior of my Canyon. I really hate the drive train. Not that it is a bad thing, I just prefer less electronics. At some point in future when things start to fail I plan to resto-mod my truck backwards. As a positive, eight years in everything works. As a negative it will eventually fail. I want less electronics. Murphy, as in ''Murphy's Law'' had it right "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". I personally modified it to include the more moving parts the more chance of failure. This includes the use of software to drive electronics to hardware to move something. Yes my DOM is pre-1970. An example of this the throttle body on my 2012. When I press the accelerator what actually happens.

A typical Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system consists of three major components:

(i) an accelerator pedal module (ideally with two or more independent sensors),
(ii) a throttle valve that can be opened and closed by an electric motor (sometimes referred to as an electric or electronic throttle body (ETB)), and
(iii) a powertrain or engine control module (PCM or ECM).

The ECM is a type of electronic control unit (ECU), which is an embedded system that employs software to determine the required throttle position by calculations from data measured by other sensors, including the accelerator pedal position sensors, engine speed sensor, vehicle speed sensor, and cruise control switches. The electric motor is then used to open the throttle valve to the desired angle via a closed-loop control algorithm within the ECM.

How many things can go wrong here?

My plan is to "Resto-Mod'' my truck to a point it is functional and less can go wrong. On your truck when you press the 4WD button, you want 4WD, me too. I have 4WD for snow in the part of Indiana I live. What can go wrong in a system similar to the ETC?

I was hoping I would find out more information from any post about engine swapping. A new engine is about $5000.00 ish in parts. That does not include the cost of putting it in nor does it cover the existing potential electronic failures that will occur. A PCM/ECM is expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts