Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm desperately wanting to swap my GMC grille to a Colorado one. I’ve seen a bunch on Ebay/Amazon/Parts warehouses sites for about $100, but am concerned about structural quality like the tabs/mounting surfaces being week/flimsy. anybody have experience with these replacement grilles that are not GM made? thanks,

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
I just bought one of the replacements off ebay a couple weeks ago.

It's at the dealer being painted now, but based on a quick inspection, it didn't look visibly different than my current one. Hopefully it's done this week and I can get it installed this weekend, that'll be the real test.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
why not look for one in a junkyard and offer the guy ten bucks and yours in trade?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naskie - awesome keep me posted
davn - been checking for months now with no luck

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Got it installed over the weekend, no real complaints. I installed new turn signal housings as well, and these were also aftermarket.

Here's a few pictures:

You can see a bit of a gap between the crossbar and the light housing - this originally had me concerned.

After assembly, though, the gap was minimized, doesn't seem to be any worse than on the original.

Here's the one big difference - the shape around the bowtie. The area that surrounds doesn't seem to surround it as much at the top and bottom as the original one.

Keep as many of the metal clips as you can from the old one, I had to buy a few more and was shocked at how expensive they are. No issues putting it in, everything lined up fine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huge thanks for taking the time to post pictures. looks like everything fell into place nicely once installed, which was my concern. money i don't mind spending vs the high cost of OEM. For the bowtie I’m actually thinking of fabing up one of my own, so all is good there…

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
For the bowtie I’m actually thinking of fabing up one of my own, so all is good there…
For clarification's sake: That bowtie is the OEM bowtie (I've just painted it), the difference is in the chrome bar on the grille, it's a bit of a different shape at the top and bottom sections of the bowtie. Compare the picture of my replacement one to the one on your truck and you'll see it better. If they're not side by side, I'm not sure anyone would ever notice the difference, but it is different there.

And I'm with you, I just couldn't justify paying so much more for the OEM one, especially when that came unpainted anyway. For the price of the OEM one, I got: this replacement, replacement turn signal housings, a replacement blower motor, and a replacement window regulator/motor assembly.

Some of the OEM replacement costs are just insane :clueless

·
Registered
5 Posts
For clarification's sake: That bowtie is the OEM bowtie (I've just painted it), the difference is in the chrome bar on the grille, it's a bit of a different shape at the top and bottom sections of the bowtie. Compare the picture of my replacement one to the one on your truck and you'll see it better. If they're not side by side, I'm not sure anyone would ever notice the difference, but it is different there.

And I'm with you, I just couldn't justify paying so much more for the OEM one, especially when that came unpainted anyway. For the price of the OEM one, I got: this replacement, replacement turn signal housings, a replacement blower motor, and a replacement window regulator/motor assembly.

Some of the OEM replacement costs are just insane :clueless
which replacement did you get? I've been looking and don't know which one is worth it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts