Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the spark plugs & spark plug wires in my fiance's car this weekend (needed a tune up). When we fired up the car, all cylinders misfired (somewhat normal according to someone i know). Apparently, there is a film that has to wear off before the engine begins running smoothly. The engine did start running smoothly, and we took the car on a 3 hour trip yesterday. Today, the engine misfired again. Anyone know why this may be happening. Could it be possible the "film" hasn't completley worn off the new spark plugs? Or do you all think it's a different problem?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Whoever told you about a film on spark plugs must be smoking the good stuff. I've never heard of this before.

Check that the wires are on there securely.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
BahamaTodd said:
Did you plug the wires into the right places? Man its nice having coil-on-plug. :p
No kidding, way easier to change the plugs on the truck than in the Fiero...but then again, part of that could be that I can't reach half the plugs in the Fiero...

And...um...I've never heard anything about a film on the plugs, either.

And did you also make sure the gap was set properly on them? I imagine too large a gap could cause them to not constantly fire when they're supposed to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
when dropping the coil down, it has to go down perfectly vertical. there is a chance that you dropped it down on a slight angle and the rubber didnt engage on the spark plug nipple.especially number one where the harness is in the way.just a thought........

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses fellas. I don't think anyone has heard of the "film" around a spark plug (the guy that told me that is misinformed). I'm thinking if i run some cleaner when i fill up the gas tank, it should clean out the exhaust. From what i've been told you can get crap stuck in your exhaust when replacing spark plugs (which is highly possible since i had to pull rubber gaskets, with plyers, out of 2 spark plug holes...they broke apart, piece by piece). I can't see any other reason the spark plug replacement didn't work immediately. The only other thing i can think of is faulty wires, or perhaps some cracked ceramic, on one of the new spark plugs. I mean the car has run abosolutley fine 95% of the time the past few days...it has only stumbled a few times, which i think is due to the exhaust passing trash through it. Sound reasonable to you guys?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Rubber gaskets? I've never heard of rubber in the spark plug socket. You sure the rubber wasn't supposed to stay in the socket and help seal the spark plug? That would be kinda bad if pieces of gasket fell into your cylinders. If that did happen, hopefully everything can burn off.
Also, who ever told you you might get stuff stuck in your exhaust is also smokin the good stuff. You shouldnt let anything fall down the socket into the cylinder. If something does there's no guarantee it will happen to go up and out through an exhaust valve.

downset71 said:
when dropping the coil down, it has to go down perfectly vertical. there is a chance that you dropped it down on a slight angle and the rubber didnt engage on the spark plug nipple.especially number one where the harness is in the way.just a thought........
He's not talking about a Colorado. :p

What kind of car is it anyway?

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a metal gasket around the sealing surface of the spark plugs. I hope that's not what fell into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
388 Posts
the gasket should be big enough so as not to fall into the spark plug opening though. Since it seals the opening.

I'm thinkin bad plug, or wire not on correctly or bad gap

Maybe I'll go smoke something and see if i can come up with another answer

·
Registered
388 Posts
oh, good point
I've never heard of the metal gasket coming apart -isn't enough carb cleaner in the world to flush that baby out

hope its just a bad plug or equivalent

BTW Todd, you got a rightous looking truck

·
Registered
79 Posts
BahamaTodd said:
Rubber gaskets? I've never heard of rubber in the spark plug socket. You sure the rubber wasn't supposed to stay in the socket and help seal the spark plug? That would be kinda bad if pieces of gasket fell into your cylinders. If that did happen, hopefully everything can burn off.
Also, who ever told you you might get stuff stuck in your exhaust is also smokin the good stuff. You shouldnt let anything fall down the socket into the cylinder. If something does there's no guarantee it will happen to go up and out through an exhaust valve.

downset71 said:
He's not talking about a Colorado. :p

What kind of car is it anyway?
oh....... :? :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
The car - is it possible the wires just aren't completely on the plug? They may stop going on if the connector doesn't line up and you think its plugged in.

The Colorado I5 plug 1 - I didn't see an easy way to move the wiring tray. I turned the coil assembly to get past the tray then turned it back to install it. It didn't seem to align properly so I did it over twice BEFORE tigntening it down. Does anyone know how to undo the fastener that holds the tray down? The first set of plugs lasted 40K miles and I am sure to need to replace them again.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Pop the top of that tray and then rotate the two little pins that hold the tray down.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey lucky...That kinda B.S. usally does not set well with anyone in here...Buy you a ford and get the **** off this fourm !! LOL

·
Registered
813 Posts
Apologies...I misspelled forum...LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts