Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of national companies that rent trailers?
Here's what I've done so far

U-Haul- 6w-5h-12l is the largest (have to move a fridge that's about 6 foot tall)

Hertz- they don't rent storage trailers(these are the ones that have walls and roof)

Penske- they don't rent trailers for personal use (only commercial)

Budget- nope

Enterprise- nope

If there is anyone that I'm missing, please let me know. This ties into general truck chat cause then I can get a hitch.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Can't help you on the trailer rental....but why not just put it in the bed?

Oh, check out Home Depot. I know they sell trailers, it only makes sense that they'd rent them as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all of the Home Depot and Lowes in my area and none of them do equipment rentals....
We have more stuff than what can fit in the truck bed. I have a motorcycle and a fridge, gym equipment, and other stuff that's going.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Well...the fridge would fit in the uhaul trailer if you laid it down.

Also, maybe post in the regional section on here to see if there's anyone in your area with a trailer who'd be willing to let you rent/borrow it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
naskie18 said:

Also, maybe post in the regional section on here to see if there's anyone in your area with a trailer who'd be willing to let you rent/borrow it.
If you lay a fridge on it's side you will need to stand it up and leave it that way and DON'T plug it in for two days to let the oil settle in the pump

keep upright at all times,

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
stocklook said:
naskie18 said:

If you lay a fridge on it's side you will need to stand it up and leave it that way and DON'T plug it in for two days to let the oil settle in the pump

keep upright at all times,
My fridge got moved on its side every three months for five years and has never had a problem. Unplugged it the day before, let the water drain, moved it, plugged it back in when I got to my new residence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I not going to eff around with 2500 like that....If the manufacture tells me not to put it on it's side I think I'm not going to do it....mainly because I wouldn't be able to deal with the wife if anything went wrong.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
See if you can get a small truck from uhaul with a ramp, should be only 40-50 per day,

I know what you mean ours is one of those 2500 and if I did anything to it I would be sleeping in the truck (Maybe) she likes the truck,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe I'm not having a problem loading the truck I just need to find a trailer to hold all of our junk so we can move in one trip. 400+ miles one way.....I only want to do it once

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I know they hit you hard with a one way rental. uhaul will be the best bet, call a store where you are moving to and see if they need a trailer and then work a deal with the one you will rent from and deliver the trailer for them,

Like the story, if your to drunk to drive, Order a pizza to be delivered and catch a ride with the delivery driver,

·
Registered
873 Posts
Is there any particular reason you're looking for an enclosed trailer? Since you're only moving 400 miles, if you're worried about rain, etc., just get a tarp and cover the fridge with that.

Other than that, horse and motorcycle trailers might be the only way you're going to find a trailer the size you need.

·
Registered
82 Posts
harbor freight trailers are like $300, witjh a little reinforcement you have a real solid trailer, plus it will be your to keep

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
hmmmm I've rented Penske trailers before for moving.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
coyote- you've rented trailers from Penske?? was it for a personal business or something?

derf- I don't have the time...

naskie18- I have a truck cap and two dogs....

Sarge- mostly because of the weather. I have a lot of electronics and don't want to take the chance.

Stocklook- I'm trying

I'm going to give Penske another call and see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This might sound stupid but why don't you rent a smaller to mid size U-Haul truck and one of their vehicle dollys?
Then you could load everything into the rental truck and tow your own truck with the dolly.

I'm sure there is a reason that I'm missing but I thought I would put this out there for you.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Yes I've rented a trailer from a rental place that said Penske on the side. It was a local tool/party/everything rental place I did it at and it was for personal use. Maybe it used to be a Penske trailer but they bought it and never removed the Penske decals, I don't know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GMCdriver- It's looking like that is what's going to happen. I figured that this was a good way for me to get a hitch out of the deal....I don't know if that's going to happen now.

coyote- yeah I called again and talked to a different guy and got the same response as I did yesterday.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
coyote said:
Yes I've rented a trailer from a rental place that said Penske on the side. It was a local tool/party/everything rental place I did it at and it was for personal use. Maybe it used to be a Penske trailer but they bought it and never removed the Penske decals, I don't know.
There is a pretty good chance that the place you rented from might not have been too happy if you left the trailer at another Penske location 400 miles away. I would bet that the trailer was "local rental" only an not a one way rental unit. We have a few U-Haul places like that in town here(attached or owned by a local Rent-all type place) where they own all their equipment and have to book in advance to bring in something for you if you wanted a oneway rental.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts