Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question but anyone know how to get burnt smell from keys and fob? I was away on a business trip and the parking service I use by the airport caught fire. Truck is fine and I’ve got the soot off all my keys but the plastic on the keys and the fob still reek of smoke. Any ideas other than buying new?

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
309 Posts
I would charge the valet service for all new keys, and use that one to store in a box underneath as a hide a key.

From key using ivory dish soap and hot water would be fine but drawing the smell from out of fob, I would have to think on that one.

Know if a good door absorber you can seal it and fob in a bag for awhile?
Baking soda?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Baking soda, charcoal even ?
I bet you could take it apart, clean the shell real well with soap and water, then the circuit board just wipe it down with alcohol or some other non water product.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
309 Posts
Yes charcoal, be good, not one that has lighter fluid in it lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
I suppose you don’t know anyone with an ultrasonic cleaner? That’s easily the best way to get the soot out of plastic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I used to do wildland firefighting, we would use a dryer sheet and 3/4 cup of baking soda in a sandwich bag to deodorize cellphones. A few hours in there and everything was good to go. I imagine this will work for your keys as well. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts