Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I disconnected my battery in my 2017 Canyon to install an amp and sub.

I've now noticed that when I am driving the truck, the transmission shifts very abruptly. There are also times when it seems to be searching for the correct gear... There is some hesitation/stalling. Before disconnecting the battery the truck shifted buttery smooth. Could some sort of setting the the computer have changed or defaulted back to a crappier setting?

Is there a way to get it back to the previous setting??

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
drive it, i believe that it learns the shifting cycles.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
As what Brayan Rosales said. just drive it... The computer just lost the memory of its shift pattern and I'm sure a few other systems that you haven't noticed when you disconnected battery.. Its a "problem" of new cars/trucks with such a heavy reliance on the battery....(Its not like a real problem just an annoyance issue with the disconnect) All it needs to do for the transmission is just relearn its pattern. Should be fine after a few miles (may be more than just a few)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm not so sure I buy this learning process theory for our transmissions and I've yet to find anything that confirms it...as the manual states it's a continuous process.
The transmission uses adaptive shift controls. The adaptive shift control process continually compares key shift parameters to pre-programmed ideal shifts stored in the transmission’s computer. The transmission constantly makes adjustments to improve vehicle performance according to how the vehicle is being used, such as with a heavy load or when the temperature changes.
If it's continuous then what is it learning??? And if you have more then 1 person driving the truck, how does the transmission know which person to learn from???

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm not so sure I buy this learning process theory for our transmissions and I've yet to find anything that confirms it...as the manual states it's a continuous process.

If it's continuous then what is it learning??? And if you have more then 1 person driving the truck, how does the transmission know which person to learn from???
I can say definitely that it does adapt and change how it shifts. I notice if it goes a week or more with just my wife driving it and I don't, the first time I get in it and go it feels sluggish and slow to down shift, and early to upshift. She drives very slow and timidly. I'm much more assertive with it. (she says aggressive, I say assertive. There's a difference!) But it quickly adapts to my style and starts holding gears a little longer, and downshifting a little sooner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
From what I read on this forum before, disconnecting the battery shouldnt reset the shift learning as it now requires the scanner/reader w.e its called to clear the shift learning memory.

I think it was discussed in the shudder thread because others would try to disconnect the battery to reset the learning and it didnt do it or something along those lines.

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would go back and double check your wiring to be safe. Could be just a loose ground and a loose ground can cause all kinds of funky stuff to happen on newer vehicles.

·
Registered
599 Posts
From what I read on this forum before, disconnecting the battery shouldnt reset the shift learning as it now requires the scanner/reader w.e its called to clear the shift learning memory.
This was my understanding as well...although still not convinced there is any learning taking place. If, as stated in the owners manual, the transmission is continuously adjusting to pre-programmed transmission points then what is it learning exactly? I think it has more to do with the PCM then TCM when the battery gets disconnected.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
This was my understanding as well...although still not convinced there is any learning taking place. If, as stated in the owners manual, the transmission is continuously adjusting to pre-programmed transmission points then what is it learning exactly? I think it has more to do with the PCM then TCM when the battery gets disconnected.
It is learning the owners common throttle application habits and speeds, and adjusting pressures to optmize shift firmness, to minimize wear and increase longevity.
My wife drives 4 miles to work, and never gets above 40. I drive 23 miles, and I'm between 45 to 70 all the way. When I drive her truck, it holds the low gears longer, and not as harsh shifting as mine is driving in the same zones. We both have 17 V6's.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I've seen a battery cable disconnect muck up idle speeds but not shift points. Just drive it to get the idle back to normal.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I've seen a battery cable disconnect muck up idle speeds but not shift points. Just drive it to get the idle back to normal.
Also mucks up the high/low octane fuel timing tables. Camaro folk did this frequently to hasten the learning on an octane change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.