Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the dumb question, but, I just ordered my truck and cannot reference anything myself.

Is the storage under the rear seats in the Crew Cab removable? I only ordered a crew cab because the V6 is no longer available in the Extended Cab. I have no need or want for a rear seat. In my other trucks, I always kept the rear seats folded so my dogs could make more use out of the rear floor.

Looking at the trucks on the dealer lot, it appears that whole section is stamped into the floor? Please tell me I'm wrong.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
you wrong

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, It can be removed, or modified. Check this thread out I posted a while ago. I'm not the guy in the video, nor did I have anything to do with it. I just posted it as a helpful bit.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Folded up, I think the rear seat takes up a lot of room. The frame under the seat/plastic storage shell is needed to support the seat in the down position.

Reactions: Mad German

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folded up, I think the rear seat takes up a lot of room. The frame under the seat/plastic storage shell is needed to support the seat in the down position.
Looks like I will likely go with the Goose Gear 60% delete plate. After checking out a truck at the dealer this morning, there’s not a lot of space behind my driver’s position, anyway.

I’ll leave the 40% seat just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Interesting. I haven't seen this before. It would not have met my needs, I have been more likely to need people transport than doggy transport, but an excellent looking installation.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Various amounts of "yes" but "no"
Apologies for the dumb question, but, I just ordered my truck and cannot reference anything myself.

Is the storage under the rear seats in the Crew Cab removable? I only ordered a crew cab because the V6 is no longer available in the Extended Cab. I have no need or want for a rear seat. In my other trucks, I always kept the rear seats folded so my dogs could make more use out of the rear floor.

Looking at the trucks on the dealer lot, it appears that whole section is stamped into the floor? Please tell me I'm wrong.
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Couple of us have made our own platforms. Here's some pictures of the platform I built:
Wood Gas Composite material Road surface Art

Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Hardwood

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire

More in my build thread around here:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just trimmed and gutted the factory plastic "box" on the new truck.......might be the best mod ever......so much wasted space with the extra plastic....

Would you mind posting some more pics of how you trimmed the OEM seat tray? I'm wanting to do something similar to mine. I appreciate any additional pics you can share with me.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I just trimmed and gutted the factory plastic "box" on the new truck.......might be the best mod ever......so much wasted space with the extra plastic....

That is very nicely done.

If I had seen that when I had my Canyon, I would have made that mod. Now you have me wondering about my Silverado. If it wasn't over 100 degrees out there, I would go take a peak with this mod in mind.

(Silverado is a totally different design, but I feel like my OEM Canyon actually had better underseat storage. )

·
Registered
2017 & 2021 ZR2
175 Posts
Not the best pic. You can see the cuts, still a bit dirty but you can't really see it and it looks decent from above.

I basically removed the entire rear portion where the plastic tray is. Still mounts nice and secure without the rear piece. Then I cut open the side pieces to open them up, which is a bunch of room.

This plastic cuts super easy with a new hacksaw blade held in the hand. Then I took a new loose razor blade and tried trimming it down....super easy. Hit it with some sandpaper at the end.

Window Grey Automotive exterior Wood Vehicle door

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Not the best pic. You can see the cuts, still a bit dirty but you can't really see it and it looks decent from above.

I basically removed the entire rear portion where the plastic tray is. Still mounts nice and secure without the rear piece. Then I cut open the side pieces to open them up, which is a bunch of room.

This plastic cuts super easy with a new hacksaw blade held in the hand. Then I took a new loose razor blade and tried trimming it down....super easy. Hit it with some sandpaper at the end.
I think I would try either one of those vibrating tool or a dremel tool to trim it out. It might not work, the high speed may cause melting.

I have some of these plastic deburring tools from a prior life that work great to clean up cuts.

·
Registered
355 Posts

View attachment 430144
Thanks so much. I appreciate it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts