Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up all,

I am getting a Colorado V6 from my job and was wondering what it would take to get remote start activated on this vehicle? I believe it comes with keys (did not take delivery yet) and not the key fobs. Is the remote start something that can be done via OnStar? If not, how much would it typically cost to install??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Whats up all,

I am getting a Colorado V6 from my job and was wondering what it would take to get remote start activated on this vehicle? I believe it comes with keys (did not take delivery yet) and not the key fobs. Is the remote start something that can be done via OnStar? If not, how much would it typically cost to install??

Thanks in advance!
A quick search shows there is a kit for this. It sounds like a Chev dealer must program the BCM after the install also. Your best bet is just call a GM dealer and ask them the cost and availability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you happen to know the price? dealerships by me are thieves.

I was also thinking of going like the VIPER remote start route.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'd quote Car Toys before I went to dealer, just to have a competitive bid.

Not sure if Pep Boys and a few others might also offer install services. Not sure you can DIY this type of product or not. A quick search on AUTOZONE website did not get me any hits for a remote start.

(Note, I have never used Car Toys, www.cartoys.com , but hear their ads all of the time. Have no idea if they are any good. )

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I bought mine in 2017 it came with fobs without the start feature. Called dealer and they said they have a shop that does such work, so they didn't even want my money. I've gotten used to it as is.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
You may think dealers are thieves, but the idea of aftermarket techs messing with wiring may be not be a good idea just to save a few bucks. They hav a tendency to butcher wiring.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Do you happen to know the price? dealerships by me are thieves.

I was also thinking of going like the VIPER remote start route.
If you want to use the Onstar app the Viper won't work.
I have a friend that did it though a dealer on a Chrysler. The kit was like $150, he install it himself and then the dealer programmed it. I think they charged $60 or so.
The viper will be a add on thing that a stereo shop will put in. I've done them before and I would guess they would charge about $150 plus the cost of the system. If it is not your truck I would look for a cheap system at a stereo shop, there are a bunch of them out there.
OR just live without it.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I was under the impression that all the versions have the remote start, but certain models just dont have it activated and all you needed to do was to buy the correct fobs and have the dealer program it through the BCM........at least thats what the story was back in 16 when I got mine.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
A lot of the WT models did not come from the factory with the module, and GM techs cannot get the access code to upgrade. Son tried to get the dealer to add it on his 19 Canyon WT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whats up all,

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if this is installed price.
Had it added when I bought mine

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
IMO, because the electronics in these newer vehicles are "uber" complex, best to have GM install their Remote Start kit (# 23487380). This way (1) it's in your vehicle's record, (2) covered w/ warranty & (3) functions w/ vehicle's ops. I used some MyChevrolet rewards $$$ to soften the blow & the original invoice was $445 ($170 labor + $275 f/ kit). Of course, the Service Shop ran into issues & had my truck f/ close to 2-weeks so they cut $50 labor & I ended up w/ final total of $395 (less the $100 Chevy bucks = $295 out-of-pocket).

There's more to the kit than 2-FOBs...a module is attached/programmed/married to your VIN & if you self-install...still need dealer interaction to program. This is why I paid the dealer to install...less hassle, no questions about the install & any problems were "theirs" to correct. Installed in Nov 2018 & still working flawlessly...my $.02.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BTW a fog light kit is also available as well as a key pad entry but sadly no power mirror kit.
Just google GMC Canyon accessories.
IMO, because the electronics in these newer vehicles are "uber" complex, best to have GM install their Remote Start kit (# 23487380). This way (1) it's in your vehicle's record, (2) covered w/ warranty & (3) functions w/ vehicle's ops. I used some MyChevrolet rewards $$$ to soften the blow & the original invoice was $445 ($170 labor + $275 f/ kit). Of course, the Service Shop ran into issues & had my truck f/ close to 2-weeks so they cut $50 labor & I ended up w/ final total of $395 (less the $100 Chevy bucks = $295 out-of-pocket).

There's more to the kit than 2-FOBs...a module is attached/programmed/married to your VIN & if you self-install...still need dealer interaction to program. This is why I paid the dealer to install...less hassle, no questions about the install & any problems were "theirs" to correct. Installed in Nov 2018 & still working flawlessly...my $.02.
I agree 100pct. Back in Nov 16 my dealer installed mine prior to delivery. Wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my 19 Colorado added the vehicle has to have come with keyless entry for unlocking or locking the truck if it didn't come with that originally it cannot be added on a 19 but if it does have remote unlock and lock it can be added my dealership charged 250 for the kit and total was 312 before tax after install

1 - 14 of 14 Posts