Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
More people post about problems then just being happy with their trucks, leaving us forum guys and gals thinking there are more issues than there actually are really...

A poll about issues would be best for judgment in this online community.

It's funny to read consumer reports and the like about the canyon and Colorado from 2015 to 16 to 17 to 18... etc some of the things being praised initially get turned around the next year for being sub par. It's just weird, I wonder how sponsored these ratings are at this point.

That being said I think gm could really step up their customer service imo. They keep such a high fence up against liability it's kind of crazy. But again, that's the world we live in now, so I get it I guess.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it makes anyone feel any better, I had an 06 Nissan Xterra that had bad fuel sending unit at 55k 400 dollars premature primary timing chain guide failure at 98k shouldnt have had to worry about it till 150k so that was 1200 dollars, and my transmission blew up at 148k which was 4200 dollars. Still have the Xterra it's my beater but she did cost me some money here and there and you might be thinking hell he didnt take care of his sh8t did he? Well your dead wrong, conventional oil changes between 3-4k never missed one and tranny fluid swaps around every 50k....never did flushes always did poor man ATF fluid swaps 5 quarts out 5 quarts in 4 times over a 1 week period....I've done that on every vehicle I have ever owned and never blew a tranny....hope my Colorado is more reliable....lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a 2016 diesel. My biggest aggravation to date is the seemingly endless stream of rattles to be resolved. IMO they could have done much better in that regard.

I have resolved a fair number of wire harness routing issues. The majority of these have been keepers on the harness that the assembler did not bother to fix to the mounting feature on the body or chassis. I did find one that I would consider a design issue where the ECU harness travels up between the bell housing and the firewall. I corrected all of these on my own before I had an issue.

I am at 46k (not a lot) and otherwise trouble free.

I monitor the diesel engine failures fairly closely. I ran a tune for a while and have flashed back to stock. My personal opinion (YMMV) is that injector failure is an overly convenient diagnosis for those that have not done their homework or may have incentive to identify a hardware defect. Why would injectors fail at such rates primarily on tuned vehicles? EGR reduces NOx emissions by reducing combustion temperatures to values where NOx componds do not tend to be produced. Advanced injection timing increases peak pressures and temperatures while EGT numbers may tend to be lowered. More complete burn before the exhaust valves open will tend to lower exhaust temps. That doesn't really have anything to say about what the combustion temp/pressure may have been. Are the GM pistons that have been redesigned for this application up to the stresses seen in tuned applications? Have they been value-engineered for the expected EPA compliant stresses? I don't know. I suspect not but I'll let you know if I find otherwise.

You can always ask a more qualified source for validation. IMO - GM will tell you that tunes break engines. IMO - tuners will tell you their products are safe.

How many stock engines have failed? I started a tally at one point but data quickly became questionable. Would a tuned owner have any incentive to claim his engine was stock at time of failure?

My truck will continue to run a stock ECU flash. That's my decision. It's running fine today and I will be completely up-front if that changes. Hopefully I haven't annealed my pistons.

This is just my opinion based on data I have seen to date. Review available data and make your own decisions.Do as you wish with your own vehicles.

That should be enough for now,
Ciao,
Chuck_B

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2017 Canyon V6, 8 speed, has been flawless once the transmission shudder was resolved with the latest Mobil 1 blue label ATF flush. I'm over 50,000 miles now and still love the truck.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
More people post about problems then just being happy with their trucks, leaving us forum guys and gals thinking there are more issues than there actually are really...
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the lack of complaints here. It's probably worse over on the Subaru Outback forum I follow.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you look at CR's breakdown it's almost entirely transmission issues. Given how prevalent the shudder issue was that's not surprising.

One thing I hate about both these ratings is that they no longer seem to have information broken down by engine type. I seem to recall that at least CR used to do more, so for example you'd see reliability separately for V6 and V8 engine models. With the Internet and information being produced electronically you would think they would be able to provide more information rather than less. Ford has several engines in their full size lineup, so of what value is information that relates to engine problems at all if not broken out by engine model?
Consumer reports years ago admitted their surveys are junk. Now to keep relevant, they cannot do the breakdowns between engine types as they can't lump everything into one section to drag down the vehicles they have their own agenda to make look worse than they are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2017 Canyon V6, 8 speed, has been flawless once the transmission shudder was resolved with the latest Mobil 1 blue label ATF flush. I'm over 50,000 miles now and still love the truck.
This is exactly my experience as well, although I only have 28k on mine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts