Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is very seriously wrong with these ratings when Diesel engines are self destructing, transmissions are shuddering, and I have a half page of my own items I needed fixed in the first 6 months.

·
Registered
866 Posts
GMC (Canyon) is at 161
Does that make you feel any better?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always heard GMC was last ditch effort to unload more vehicles with a different drill, wheels...etc. no suprise its rushed and poor quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In 2003 I bought a Dakota for its looks....never thought to research reliability. Wow, did that go wrong in a hurry. Loved the looks, and ride. But everything was poor quality. I will say that nobody lays paint like Chrysler. After 10 years, it was still shiney and beautiful. But underneath it was junk.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
You looked at the wrong list. You need to focus on the Consumer Reports list, to feel vindicated.
This list is per 100 vehicles, so your 1 drug it down a smidge, if you participated in the survey.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Always heard GMC was last ditch effort to unload more vehicles with a different drill, wheels...etc. no suprise its rushed and poor quality.
That is total horse ****. Not remotely true. The reason why GMC is lower is because their vehicles typically come with more technology. More stuff to break, but most of it is actually customers that do not understand the technology. That combined with a poor dealership delivery experience where the features are not explained properly.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Something is very seriously wrong with these ratings when Diesel engines are self destructing, transmissions are shuddering, and I have a half page of my own items I needed fixed in the first 6 months.
There aren't that many diesel engines self-destructing and many of the ones that do have been altered in some way. To the extent it was caused by an injector, that could happen with any brand using the same brand of injectro. The transmission shudder issue was a huge problem. As to your problems, I'm almost a year and 12,000 miles in and the only problem I've had was a rattle under the dash that I figured out myself.

But finally, that list is for all the vehicles Chevy makes. The Colorado transmission issues would be merely a blip.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The one that sticks out on that list for me is Honda being below average. In the early days Honda's reliability was far above average. But I think the average has improved a lot since then, maybe they haven't.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You looked at the wrong list. You need to focus on the Consumer Reports list, to feel vindicated.
This list is per 100 vehicles, so your 1 drug it down a smidge, if you participated in the survey.
If you look at CR's breakdown it's almost entirely transmission issues. Given how prevalent the shudder issue was that's not surprising.

One thing I hate about both these ratings is that they no longer seem to have information broken down by engine type. I seem to recall that at least CR used to do more, so for example you'd see reliability separately for V6 and V8 engine models. With the Internet and information being produced electronically you would think they would be able to provide more information rather than less. Ford has several engines in their full size lineup, so of what value is information that relates to engine problems at all if not broken out by engine model?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I love the loud clunk from the rear end when I pull away from a stop. I raise my concerns and I get blank stares. Really crummy customer service. I have called Chevy customer care and the agent was not the right person to have customer interface nor was her boss or the other 3 people I spoke with. One girl replied to me “ youz dun axted me foor ah technical reezponce”

·
Registered
166 Posts
Something is very seriously wrong with these ratings when Diesel engines are self destructing, transmissions are shuddering, and I have a half page of my own items I needed fixed in the first 6 months. View attachment 386165
So much fail in this post I don't know where to begin. Seems like a troll post as the OP didn't use any common sense. Think maybe that A) this includes ALL CHEVROLET VEHICLES and B) the issues you listed aren't a representation of most owners? Chevy builds a reliable vehicle, that is pretty well know. It may not have the fanciest or highest quality interior or the most up to date tech but the bones are stout and know for lasting. Just because you have an issue that is 1 out of how many 100's of thousands of these trucks that are built and don't have an issue? Maybe think about something before posting a rant. These trucks are very reliable, ours hasn't even been in the dealer in over 3 years since we bought it and most can probably say the same thing from what I read on here. Thanks for the entertaining post, looking forward to reading all the replies!

Tyler

·
Registered
7 Posts
had a 2013 tacoma trd offroad. now have a 2017 canyon slt loaded with all the goodies including cocoa leather. no, it does not appear to be as offroad tough as the tacoma, but i love the comfy living room and all the technology. just had the tsb 18-NA-355 done on the tranny and seems to be a complete success. no more shuddering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This JD Power "dependability study" is complete and utter BS. Tranny go out in 5000 miles? That's counted as 1. Engine blow up throwing the valves half a mile away? Counted as 1 issue.

But, if you don't like the way the volume dial feels? That's 1 too. The seat slightly less comfortable on road trips? 1. Don't like the color of the glove box? Yep, 1. They rate all issues/complaints the same, no matter how minor or major they are. It says very little about actual reliability.

If they weighted the issues it would probably be relevant but as is, JD Power is a joke.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The one that sticks out on that list for me is Honda being below average. In the early days Honda's reliability was far above average. But I think the average has improved a lot since then, maybe they haven't.
Totally agree.
Honda has been rated around that ranking for awhile, and is no where near the quality it used to be. Nissan isn’t much better. I read that Cadillac and Ford are lower because many customers do not understand how to operate the infotainment systems, so it is reported as a problem. Jeep, Dodge and Fiat are no surprise. When Daimler owned Chrysler, the quality was better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
had a 2013 tacoma trd offroad. now have a 2017 canyon slt loaded with all the goodies including cocoa leather. no, it does not appear to be as offroad tough as the tacoma, but i love the comfy living room and all the technology. just had the tsb 18-NA-355 done on the tranny and seems to be a complete success. no more shuddering.
It’s always refreshing to hear when someone makes the switch from foreign to domestic, especially when it involves a butt ugly Tacoma that doesn’t even compare to the GM Twins.
I had the flush done 6,000 miles ago, and no shudder. Again, it’s not the transmission, it was the factory fill fluid that caused the shudder issue.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
This JD Power "dependability study" is complete and utter BS. Tranny go out in 5000 miles? That's counted as 1. Engine blow up throwing the valves half a mile away? Counted as 1 issue.

But, if you don't like the way the volume dial feels? That's 1 too. The seat slightly less comfortable on road trips? 1. Don't like the color of the glove box? Yep, 1. They rate all issues/complaints the same, no matter how minor or major they are. It says very little about actual reliability.

If they weighted the issues it would probably be relevant but as is, JD Power is a joke.
I think you could probably say the same thing about Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The only problems I have had with my 2016 colorado were a lack of lows from the stereo, fixed it with a kicker hideaway sub. And the stock tires wore out at about 39k miles, giving me a reason to get some 18" canyon wheels and some new tires. I have to fill it up with gas the more I drive it. How could Chevrolet sell such a needy vehicle? It should have came with 200k mile tires, a sub and an endless fuel tank.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmm, I won't argue, just state facts. No engine trouble so far. No tranny problems so far. A handfull of issues when I first got it that I can attribute to the first model year, and all were covered under warranty. Original tires still on it, I don't drive like I did in High School anymore. I ordered it new and had to wait 5 months to get it because of "diesel gate". Just coming up on 75,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts