Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone knows of a reputable place to regear a ZR2 somewhere near or between Baltimore and Philly. I hate taking any of my vehicles to someone else to work on...but ring and pinion is 50% science and 50% black magic to get it just right.

If any of you know of a wizard/mechanic in the area that can handle it, let me know please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why do you need to "regear" a brand new ZR2?

·
Registered
103 Posts
...and for better performance.

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
OP,
Have you the new gear set and where from?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... 4:56 is what I want. I'm just looking for a place that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's a place in the Middle River area that installed my ARBs, and later my 5.29 gears, can't think of the name right now.
Iv'e also used Appalachian O.R. in Westminster when I trashed a gear set.
Then there's MidAtlantic 4X4 and also 4WPW, both in Glen Burnie, never used either for work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've attempted a few places now. Dropped my truck off at one place and when he discovered the front diff has to come out, had me come back and get it. Thinks the rack and pinion has to be removed to make room. Showed him the cross member comes out. Kept saying the "the entire front rear has to come out", but "the back rear is easy". Front rear? Nope, time to get back in my truck and roll.

Called a few more places. Left my info with Appalachian Offroad...they didn't call back. After I tell them it's a 2020 ZR2 nobody seems to want to play.

Does anyone know of any other places out here mid-east coast? I got a great deal on the gears, master install kits, and lube. Beginning to wonder if I'm going to have to by a dial indicator and some pattern paint....

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
861 Posts
Not uncommon to call the front and rear axles rear ends- “did you service the rear ends?”
I think you need to call around there’s dozens of people who have had this done.
another problem you may be encountering is you bringing your own parts. Some shops won’t install customer provided equipment and some charge more if you bring equipment- and some are cool.

Reactions: 2020ZR2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, rear ends...the rear.... Heard it and have said it. Front rear and back rear and front-end was a bit much.

I've went in person and called several (wont say dozens, but probably a dozen) shops. They all said come back when I had gears in hand (because I normally like to let the shop order the parts), not that I use shops often. I think the norm of these gears being backordered might part of it as well.

So yep, aware of that, tried that, and am actively seeking a shop (calling and going in person to the close ones), and understand that somewhere, there is people doing it.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'll do it for you for $500 per axle. I always wanted to learn how to do a gear swap, just not on my truck. I already have the dye and indicator. I'll even include my world famous "No money back" guarantee. 😁

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll do it for you for $500 per axle. I always wanted to learn how to do a gear swap, just not on my truck. I already have the dye and indicator. I'll even include my world famous "No money back" guarantee. 😁
Hahahaha, I've done gears. I can do "good enough" for trail use and such...

Just as a matter of preference and lack of serious experience, I don't do gears or automatic transmissions...well, unless I have to....oh, and I don't have a tire machine.

I respect your "taillight" warranty! Hahaha!

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
861 Posts
Gee boss I always wanted to work on a transmission!!
- Just one of my dads fun things to say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I've attempted a few places now. Dropped my truck off at one place and when he discovered the front diff has to come out, had me come back and get it. Thinks the rack and pinion has to be removed to make room. Showed him the cross member comes out. Kept saying the "the entire front rear has to come out", but "the back rear is easy". Front rear? Nope, time to get back in my truck and roll.

Called a few more places. Left my info with Appalachian Offroad...they didn't call back. After I tell them it's a 2020 ZR2 nobody seems to want to play.

Does anyone know of any other places out here mid-east coast? I got a great deal on the gears, master install kits, and lube. Beginning to wonder if I'm going to have to by a dial indicator and some pattern paint....
OK, the place that did the 5.29 gears and ARBs in my Toyota is Perry Hall Power Equipment on Rt 40/Pulaski Hwy. That was back in 2003 so I had to dig out the receipt to find the name.
There is (maybe was) East Coast Headquarters Offroad in Bel Air and East Coast Off-Road and Performance in Delta, PA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts