Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have an 04 colorado with around 27xxx miles on it and i have a problem where when i come up to stop and go traffic it will stall out on me and will read Reduced Power Traction Fault. It will run fine on my way to work and then when on the way home it always seems to stall after running for about 20 min or so. I have replaced the BCM yet it still seems to do it, if anyone has any idea or suggestions it is much appreciated

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Your problem is not in the BCM - it's in the PCM. There should be a firmware update for the PCM available from the stealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having similar issues and have tried all of the trouble shooting tips in the thread. PCM number does not fall into the range mentioned for replacement (#5018 ). I have also tried cleaning out the throtte body and problem still happening. Truck will start and run fine for about 20 minutes then everything shuts off does not matter if I am at a stop, in park or driving down the road at 45mph. Basicllly the truck goes into 'Reduced Power Traction Fault" message I wait 60-120 seconds and it fires back up then repeats the cycle again and again. it will throw a check engine light but when I leave it sitting for longer than 2 hours and start it back up the check engine light is gone. I took to the stealership and they kept it for 3 days told me that they could not recreate the problem (HA! issue happened while pulling into the service bay and they could not get it started for 5 minutes). Anyway they told me that their best guess was that it is an ignition problem and the entire ignition should be replaced to the tune of $600.00 but they would not reccommend spending the money for the repair because they were unable to recreate the issue and could not confirm that would fix the problem. Any help would be great as I am almost ready to take it to the stealership and leave it until the figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts